The Student Room Group

degree calculation

Hello,I understand how my final grade will be marked for my undergraduate degree however, as my dissertation is worth 40 credits, I am wondering if I get my lowest grade in this for my final year out of all the other modules, will they discount 20 credits from my dissertation?Fore example, if I got a grade of 70 in 4 modules all worth 20 credits each but in my dissertation I achieved a grade of 60, would they use 4 marks at 70 and 1 at 60 or would it be 3 at 70 and then two at 60?
Original post by Metzh
Hello,I understand how my final grade will be marked for my undergraduate degree however, as my dissertation is worth 40 credits, I am wondering if I get my lowest grade in this for my final year out of all the other modules, will they discount 20 credits from my dissertation?Fore example, if I got a grade of 70 in 4 modules all worth 20 credits each but in my dissertation I achieved a grade of 60, would they use 4 marks at 70 and 1 at 60 or would it be 3 at 70 and then two at 60?

This should be covered in your degree regulations. I vaguely remember seeing it in one university's rules and it was the first scenario, but your uni might be different.
Original post by Metzh
Hello,I understand how my final grade will be marked for my undergraduate degree...

Your question would suggest otherwise. :wink2:

On most university courses, the final grade is calculated partly from Year 2 modules and partly from Year 3 modules, where those are weighted, say, 40:60 or perhaps 30:70. You make no mention of that, so let's assume that all credits are equal.

This means that the "4 modules all worth 20 credits" are worth a total of 80 credits and as your "dissertation is worth 40 credits", then the maximum credits you can attain is 120. Agreed?

In your scenario you get "a grade of 70 in 4 modules". Do you mean 70 percent? Or do you mean 70 credits out of the 80 available for these 4 modules (i.e. 87.5%)? I guessing you must mean 70% as you then say "in my dissertation I achieved a grade of 60" which must mean 60% (not 60 credits) as your dissertation attracts 40 credits maximum.

So, your total credits would (in this scenario) be 70% of 80 credits (for the four modules) plus 60% of 40 credits (for the dissertation) giving you a total of 80 credits. As there were 120 credits available in total, that's about 67% - so probably a 2:1.

(Full disclosure: I really have no idea what you mean when you say, "would they use 4 marks at 70 and 1 at 60 or would it be 3 at 70 and then two at 60". That makes no sense to me whatsoever, so I've ignored it.)
Original post by DataVenia
Your question would suggest otherwise. :wink2:

On most university courses, the final grade is calculated partly from Year 2 modules and partly from Year 3 modules, where those are weighted, say, 40:60 or perhaps 30:70. You make no mention of that, so let's assume that all credits are equal.

This means that the "4 modules all worth 20 credits" are worth a total of 80 credits and as your "dissertation is worth 40 credits", then the maximum credits you can attain is 120. Agreed?

In your scenario you get "a grade of 70 in 4 modules". Do you mean 70 percent? Or do you mean 70 credits out of the 80 available for these 4 modules (i.e. 87.5%)? I guessing you must mean 70% as you then say "in my dissertation I achieved a grade of 60" which must mean 60% (not 60 credits) as your dissertation attracts 40 credits maximum.

So, your total credits would (in this scenario) be 70% of 80 credits (for the four modules) plus 60% of 40 credits (for the dissertation) giving you a total of 80 credits. As there were 120 credits available in total, that's about 67% - so probably a 2:1.

(Full disclosure: I really have no idea what you mean when you say, "would they use 4 marks at 70 and 1 at 60 or would it be 3 at 70 and then two at 60". That makes no sense to me whatsoever, so I've ignored it.)

But your last paragraph is the key part of the OP's question.
Original post by ageshallnot
But your last paragraph is the key part of the OP's question.

Possibly. However, my guess is that it was predicted on a minunderstanding of the way the calculation works. Did you understand what the OP meant?
Original post by DataVenia
Possibly. However, my guess is that it was predicted on a minunderstanding of the way the calculation works. Did you understand what the OP meant?

I think so. It looks as though the worst 20 credits are discarded when calculating the weighted average. The OP wants to know what happens if their dissertation, which is 40 credits, is their lowest mark.
Original post by ageshallnot
I think so. It looks as though the worst 20 credits are discarded when calculating the weighted average. The OP wants to know what happens if their dissertation, which is 40 credits, is their lowest mark.

Yeah, maybe you're right. I'd no idea which uni the OP is at, but Portsmouth certainly seem to do that. In fact, their rules are so complicated that there's a "Portsmouth Degree Calculator" on GitHub to work everything out!

Hopefully OP will be back soon to clarify things, or to at least tell us what uni he's as so we can look-up the rules they use.
Reply 7
Thanks all for the responses.

It seems I know what I want to ask in my head but writing it so it makes sense to others is not as easy. It's exactly as Ageshallnot has put it succinctly, if, in my final year, my worst 20 credits come from my dissertation grade, is this discarded or, as my dissertation is worth 40 credits can this not be done and instead would it then go to my second lowest grade from another assessment that would be discarded?
Reply 8
Original post by Metzh
Thanks all for the responses.

It seems I know what I want to ask in my head but writing it so it makes sense to others is not as easy. It's exactly as Ageshallnot has put it succinctly, if, in my final year, my worst 20 credits come from my dissertation grade, is this discarded or, as my dissertation is worth 40 credits can this not be done and instead would it then go to my second lowest grade from another assessment that would be discarded?

It will depend on the exact wording of the regulations. But if they exclude the lowest 20 credits, and your lowest mark was for the 40-credit dissertation, then -- in the absence of anything specific addressing this scenario -- I'd imagine that they'd treat the dissertation as being two 20-credit units with identical marks and disregard one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest