The Student Room Group

Predicted a B in Spanish but need at least an A...

Hi everyone, literally just made an account so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place or something.

I'm in year 12 and studying spanish, geography and history at A-level. I absolutely love spanish and want to study it at university but to be completely honest I'm not very good at it. I'm predicted a B but I need at least an A and I'm just worried that I'll never get there! I'm doing everything, I'm spending as much time as I can practising every element of the course (when history isn't taking up all my time!) but test after test my results are less than great. I think the main thing for me is grammar and tenses which for some reason just don't stay in my head no matter how much I practice. I would blame it on having an awful memory but starting to think I'm just stupid!!

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with languages and know how to get my grade up? What specific techniques/revision methods do you use, particularly to perfect your grammar? Any help will be appreciated :smile:
Original post by charlotte eve
Hi everyone, literally just made an account so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place or something.

I'm in year 12 and studying spanish, geography and history at A-level. I absolutely love spanish and want to study it at university but to be completely honest I'm not very good at it. I'm predicted a B but I need at least an A and I'm just worried that I'll never get there! I'm doing everything, I'm spending as much time as I can practising every element of the course (when history isn't taking up all my time!) but test after test my results are less than great. I think the main thing for me is grammar and tenses which for some reason just don't stay in my head no matter how much I practice. I would blame it on having an awful memory but starting to think I'm just stupid!!

Has anyone else been in a similar situation with languages and know how to get my grade up? What specific techniques/revision methods do you use, particularly to perfect your grammar? Any help will be appreciated :smile:

Language grammar can be hard to remember and to be honest I think it comes with practice. Some things you could try are:
1. getting a spanish 'pen pal' (who you can email or phone or facetime) - have a look on the website mylanguageexchange.com - you can find a spanish 17 year old who wants to learn english and then you both practice
2. Quizlet sets for irregular verbs
3. writing out irregular verbs or grammatical rules (or the pronouns etc) on little flashcards and stick them up around your house? So e.g. every time you walk past one stuck to the fridge, you have to conjugate a certain verb in different tenses
Reply 2
Hi! I was in a similar situation for German until recently.

Ask your teacher or identify where you are making mistakes most often. Once you've done that, make brief notes about the grammar and then do as many practice questions as possible. Try practice questions from different sources (helped me prepare for different situations). Active revision methods are what you have to focus on, if you aren't already. I find translation tasks really helpful because they help you revise the language/grammar in context.

If you are having trouble remembering content, make summary sheets for each topic with key facts and figures that you can
quote in a speaking exam. I turned my summary sheets into Quizlet sets for quick revision.

Before speaking exams, practise answering the speaking cards. Pretend you are actually preparing for your speaking exam and spend 5 minutes (for AQA) making notes for the card. Once your 5 minutes are up, have a look at the mark scheme/search up alternative ideas online. Also try practising with a native speaker/friend. If your teacher agrees, you could meet up once a week for speaking. I did this while preparing for IRP and I think it's the only reason why my IRP is understandable.

Planning and writing essays for our film and book was how I improved my language. See if your teacher will mark them for you.

Not strictly revision, but watch TV shows in Spanish (with English subtitles). This really helps me with accent and flow of speaking. It's also more fun than doing Quizlet for hours. Find a Spanish news app as well and spend 5 minutes or so reading it (I use Tagesschau for German).

Hope this helps! Good luck in achieving your goals!!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending