Universities to look into for English language and literature

Watch this thread
bowlingforsoph
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm interested in looking into English language and literature courses, but I don't really know where to start.

I'm targeted A* A* A, though I'm predicted/working at AAB-AAA. I'm not studying English language at A level, but I'd like to do some reading/etc. into English language and linguistics (so recommendations for books, videos, podcasts etc. would also be appreciated).

My main concern is finding a varied and interesting course, though other factors (e.g. employability) are important too.
hamlethoratio
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by bowlingforsoph )
I'm interested in looking into English language and literature courses, but I don't really know where to start.

I'm targeted A* A* A, though I'm predicted/working at AAB-AAA. I'm not studying English language at A level, but I'd like to do some reading/etc. into English language and linguistics (so recommendations for books, videos, podcasts etc. would also be appreciated).

My main concern is finding a varied and interesting course, though other factors (e.g. employability) are important too.
Is there a certain split you would like between literature and language (e.g. 80 literature, 20 language)? Or would you prefer an even split? I would be weary as several unis will call their course 'English' when they really just mean English Literature and the Language side of it tends to be more under linguistic degrees.

I do know that University of Nottingham have a good English course which does include both literature and language, allowing you to split your time among them as you wish! It's 3 A's to get in for a standard applicant so may be a reasonable choice based on your grades. I have an offer from Nottingham for English and History (I prefer literature though by far and am not interested in doing language), but the open day there showed me how great the breadth was if you would like to study language and literature (or even drama or creative writing within the same degree).

Newcastle also do a joint English Language and Literature degree but I don't know too much about it as I didn't apply there!

University of York do a joint English/Linguistics degree (which is what you would want as their English single degree only covers literature). My friend who's firmed York for linguistics single was really impressed by the breadth of that course and from a literature POV, I applied there and it really does have an amazing range of choices!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads