The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL reconsideration?

Hello everyone, I'm sorry if this is a long post but I hope someone can help me.

In February, I applied to UCL (MSc Global Governance and Ethics) and LSE (MSc Global Politics, MSc International Affairs with PKU).
(for context, I study Chinese and International Relations at SOAS).
I am still waiting to hear back from LSE, and I was rejected from UCL, which was my first choice. When I emailed them to ask for feedback, they told me that my application was strong but my grades from year one were the main reason for the rejection. I was a bit confused because I know first year does not count, but to be honest, my grades from year one are actually pretty bad, I failed one Chinese exam and I got two high 2:2s in IR. My second year was in China, and my Chinese definitely improved (my second-year average was 94.5). My grades from third year are not "excellent" but they're definitely better: I got one first and an overall average of 67.

This is my final year and I have only been getting firsts so far, so I have a strong chance to graduate with a first. SOAS does not provide interim transcripts for final year students (UCL couldn't see my current grades when they assessed my application), so I took screenshots of my grades on Moodle, combined them all into one PDF file and sent it to UCL. They said their decision is final, but they asked me to send them an email after I receive my official graduation results because they will be "happy to reconsider" my application if I "meet the minimum requirements" (2:1). Ever since I've been rejected I have felt completely shattered, I know it sounds dramatic, and I know you might think it was silly of me to think I would be able to get into UCL with those grades from year one. But I just kind of felt it was not that relevant as my academic performance has definitely improved and first year does not count. Anyway, that email from UCL has given me a tiny bit of hope, and they made me feel slightly better about myself for the first time in weeks. I should get my official results around mid-July. Realistically, does anyone think I might actually be accepted? I feel like the program will be full by then. I just really don't know what to do. Has anyone been in a similar situation before?
Global Governance and Ethics is one of the courses with a really high acceptance rates and many people reject their offers once they get better ones, so I think there is a real chance of them reconsidering your application
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
They would not have sent that email if there was no chance at all. Just set your expectations that it may still be a no, but at least they were not completely dismissive.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Global Governance and Ethics is one of the courses with a really high acceptance rates and many people reject their offers once they get better ones, so I think there is a real chance of them reconsidering your application

This has made my day, I really hope you’re right. Thank you 🙏🏼
Reply 4
Hi,
I got rejected by UCL for MPharm (pharmacy) . Would I be able to call them and ask them for a reconsideration and my prediction grades were A*A*A and the entry requirements were AAB.
Do you think If I call they would be able to reconsider my rejection.
Original post by VI25
Hi,
I got rejected by UCL for MPharm (pharmacy) . Would I be able to call them and ask them for a reconsideration and my prediction grades were A*A*A and the entry requirements were AAB.
Do you think If I call they would be able to reconsider my rejection.

Unlikely, but you have nothing to lose by asking.
Reply 6
Original post by MC2805
Hello everyone, I'm sorry if this is a long post but I hope someone can help me.

In February, I applied to UCL (MSc Global Governance and Ethics) and LSE (MSc Global Politics, MSc International Affairs with PKU).
(for context, I study Chinese and International Relations at SOAS).
I am still waiting to hear back from LSE, and I was rejected from UCL, which was my first choice. When I emailed them to ask for feedback, they told me that my application was strong but my grades from year one were the main reason for the rejection. I was a bit confused because I know first year does not count, but to be honest, my grades from year one are actually pretty bad, I failed one Chinese exam and I got two high 2:2s in IR. My second year was in China, and my Chinese definitely improved (my second-year average was 94.5). My grades from third year are not "excellent" but they're definitely better: I got one first and an overall average of 67.

This is my final year and I have only been getting firsts so far, so I have a strong chance to graduate with a first. SOAS does not provide interim transcripts for final year students (UCL couldn't see my current grades when they assessed my application), so I took screenshots of my grades on Moodle, combined them all into one PDF file and sent it to UCL. They said their decision is final, but they asked me to send them an email after I receive my official graduation results because they will be "happy to reconsider" my application if I "meet the minimum requirements" (2:1). Ever since I've been rejected I have felt completely shattered, I know it sounds dramatic, and I know you might think it was silly of me to think I would be able to get into UCL with those grades from year one. But I just kind of felt it was not that relevant as my academic performance has definitely improved and first year does not count. Anyway, that email from UCL has given me a tiny bit of hope, and they made me feel slightly better about myself for the first time in weeks. I should get my official results around mid-July. Realistically, does anyone think I might actually be accepted? I feel like the program will be full by then. I just really don't know what to do. Has anyone been in a similar situation before?

Hi there!
I am in a very similar situation to you this year where I had very strong grades in second year, but a low 2:1 in first year, which dragged my average down to 0.5% below UCL's requirement for my course. I am, however, on track to graduate with a high 2:1/first for my third year and plan on sending them my updated transcript for potential reconsideration after I receive my results in July. Therefore I wanted to ask if you were successful in your reconsideration last year.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there!
I am in a very similar situation to you this year where I had very strong grades in second year, but a low 2:1 in first year, which dragged my average down to 0.5% below UCL's requirement for my course. I am, however, on track to graduate with a high 2:1/first for my third year and plan on sending them my updated transcript for potential reconsideration after I receive my results in July. Therefore I wanted to ask if you were successful in your reconsideration last year.

Hi i have also been rejected by UCL and am planning to ask them what the reason was, as they have not given me a reason. I was wondering since my grades were a 1:1 in first year, and high 2:1 in second year, and currently with the results I have received so far for third year they have all been firsts(which would not have been reflected in my transcript yet), do you think I would have a chance to ask them to reconsider if the reason is my grades being low?
the reason they have given for my rejection on portico was: thank you for your application for admission to the above programme of study. unfortunately, following careful consideration of your application, the selector has not found it possible to recommend your acceptance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending