The Student Room Group

Could I do Economics at Uni?

(My apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I don’t really know where to put it)
I am about to take my GCSEs but for my A-levels I have chosen:
-Economics
-Physics
-Maths

Disregarding the grades I may get for those A-levels, I heard you need Further Maths to do Economics at Uni and I don’t know if I have made the right choice. I really want to pursue that choice at Uni but my teachers have been recommending me that I choose maths over further maths as I have been receiving 7s for my maths GCSE mock exams (they don’t know my plan is to do economics in the future).

Ofcourse since the exams I have been revising plenty, and taking past papers here and there I am achieving 8s (which is usually the grade you need for a level further maths). If I do get an 8 or higher in maths gcse, would it be worth it to switch? I don’t really know how that would pile up with my other alevels and if it would be quite a burden to my mental health. Just looking for advice.
Original post by vvixtasy
(My apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I don’t really know where to put it)
I am about to take my GCSEs but for my A-levels I have chosen:
-Economics
-Physics
-Maths

Disregarding the grades I may get for those A-levels, I heard you need Further Maths to do Economics at Uni and I don’t know if I have made the right choice. I really want to pursue that choice at Uni but my teachers have been recommending me that I choose maths over further maths as I have been receiving 7s for my maths GCSE mock exams (they don’t know my plan is to do economics in the future).

Ofcourse since the exams I have been revising plenty, and taking past papers here and there I am achieving 8s (which is usually the grade you need for a level further maths). If I do get an 8 or higher in maths gcse, would it be worth it to switch? I don’t really know how that would pile up with my other alevels and if it would be quite a burden to my mental health. Just looking for advice.

Further Maths is usually taken as a fourth A-Level. You cannot take FM without taking Maths also. I'd caution by saying that FM is very hard.

That said, FM is not obligatory to doing Economics at university. Only LSE has it pretty much being a requirement if your school offers it. However, most (good) universities only require Maths A-Level, and to be honest, you don't really need much else. I question how useful FM even is for Economics, due to the superfluous amounts of content - really I'd only consider matrices and further statistics to be useful, and even then you get taught everything from scratch at university anyway.

What universities are you looking to apply to?
As above, it's only really needed for LSE (there is a strong correlation between FM and success rates at Cambridge too though), and only if your school offers it will they expect it to be taken. It would certainly be helpful for any economics degree, and may be preferable to varying extents for some of the other very mathematical economics courses (e.g. UCL, Warwick, presumably also Imperial now they have a pseudo-economics course). For the vast majority of economics degrees though A-level Maths will suffice (bear in mind you will study at least some of the FM topics in an economics degree sooner or later though!).

Also as noted above, maths and further maths are linked - you cannot take the latter without the former. If FM is available to you I would recommend you take it if you want to apply to LSE and similar unis though. You could always see if you can start with four subjects and drop one at the end of year 12 depending on your needs/interests (although the way some schools teach A-level Further Maths may preclude this, if they do all of A-level Maths and the exam in year 12, then all of FM and the exam in year 13 - note that if your school does use this format some unis may prefer/require you take 4 subjects anyway to demonstrate you are taking a full set of exams at the end of your A-levels).

Quick Reply

Latest