The Student Room Group

Cosmetic mastectomy

How would you go about getting a cosmetic mastectomy in the UK? I am not transgender and it wouldn't be for prophylactic reasons. I anticipate having to pay.
Original post by Anonymous
How would you go about getting a cosmetic mastectomy in the UK? I am not transgender and it wouldn't be for prophylactic reasons. I anticipate having to pay.

Mastectomy or breast reduction? I imagine that you would have to pass mental health checks and it might be difficult as doctors rarely even remove a second breast for women with breast cancer as there has to be a very strong case (like having the brca gene variants), even in the private sector.
Reply 2
Mastectomy or breast reduction? I imagine that you would have to pass mental health checks and it might be difficult as doctors rarely even remove a second breast for women with breast cancer as there has to be a very strong case (like having the brca gene variants), even in the private sector.

Mastectomy.

By mental health checks, do you mean that I'd have to demonstrate that I have capacity to make the decision?
Reply 3

And how can I find a surgeon?

All of the clinics that I can find online are aimed at transgender people.
Most cosmetic surgery clinics & surgeons won't consider performing an elective mastectomy primarily for aesthetic or personal convenience reasons.
Most cosmetic surgeons will only approve an elective mastectomy where there is a history of multiple breast cancer deaths amongst close relatives or the patient is fighting cancer, requests it and more than 3 doctors agree that doing so is in the patient's best interests.
And how can I find a surgeon?

All of the clinics that I can find online are aimed at transgender people.

Can I ask why?
Reply 6
Can I ask why?

Trauma related issues.
Trauma related issues.

Have you spoken to your doctor and been referred for support, therapy and counselling?
Reply 8
Have you spoken to your doctor and been referred for support, therapy and counselling?

Yes. It hasn’t made any difference to how I feel about that area of my body though.
Yes. It hasn’t made any difference to how I feel about that area of my body though.

You'd need to speak to a psychaitrist. I have had a mastectomy on one side due to bc, and I have limited movement in my arm and some pain as muscles and nerves are cut in the surgery, which takes about 90 minutes on each side. It takes several years to regain some sensation as well so it's numb, and there will be scarring.There is the posibility of lymphoedema too (where the breast or arm swells) due to pooling of lymph fluid as there are nodes in the breast, even without any axillary nodes removed. I really think that if you are prepared to pay then some of that money should be spent on a good therapist to help you through whatever trauma you've had. I'm guessing that you are young still so have your whole life ahead of you, and it's possible/probable that you would regret it in the future. Please pursue help with the trauma you have had though, as you really need support and understanding to try and heal. If your doctor won't refer you find another doctor or complain about them to the local health authority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending