The Student Room Group

Uni insurance choice advice (newcastle, york, qmul)

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice about what uni I should put as my insurance choice? I have received offers for computer science from Southampton, QMUL, Newcastle, and York and I am planning to firm Southampton. I am predicted A*AA and each course asks for:

--> Southampton: A*AA
--> QMUL: ABB
--> York: AAA
--> Newcastle: AAB

The issue is, I prefer york most but I am a bit worried about having an insurance choice that is only one grade lower than my predicted grades. If anybody has any advice or opinions about the other unis or what I should put as my insurance it would be greatly appreciated!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Choose the course that interests you the most. Check the optional units in all years of the course - is there enough that interests you - and what opportunites are there for study abroad, work placemets etc, as these add to your graduate CV and initial job opportunities.
I agree w mcginger choose the course you love, the content and what opportunities there are over the grade requirements. If York is where you can see yourself then choose that over soton.

I went to Southampton (not CS) but I had a lot of CS friends who loved their time there but ultimately, it is where YOU feel you can see yourself at.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Choose the course that interests you the most. Check the optional units in all years of the course - is there enough that interests you - and what opportunites are there for study abroad, work placemets etc, as these add to your graduate CV and initial job opportunities.

Ahhhh true, I've been very focused on reaching grades with A levels so close. I do like the course in york but I was just worried about not reaching grades and having to go into clearing. I definitely preferred Southampton and so I put it as my firm. Thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by palaeolivic
I agree w mcginger choose the course you love, the content and what opportunities there are over the grade requirements. If York is where you can see yourself then choose that over soton.

I went to Southampton (not CS) but I had a lot of CS friends who loved their time there but ultimately, it is where YOU feel you can see yourself at.

I visited Southampton uni recently and loved it as well as the course. It's definitely my favourite and I do see myself going there. I was a bit concerned with putting york or Newcastle (my preferred two after Southampton) as my insurance choice just in case I don't reach those grades so it feels like a bit of a gamble. Thank you for the advice, I think I'm going to go back and check both of their courses again and put more weight on that rather than the grades.
Original post by Lemontrees
I visited Southampton uni recently and loved it as well as the course. It's definitely my favourite and I do see myself going there. I was a bit concerned with putting york or Newcastle (my preferred two after Southampton) as my insurance choice just in case I don't reach those grades so it feels like a bit of a gamble. Thank you for the advice, I think I'm going to go back and check both of their courses again and put more weight on that rather than the grades.

Oh wait I misunderstood your first post, your first choice would be Southampton & York as insurance???

When I applied to uni, 5 years ago now 😅 my insurance was one grade difference. But, I would still say yes look at course (Southampton is brilliant but I would say that!!)
Reply 6
Original post by palaeolivic
Oh wait I misunderstood your first post, your first choice would be Southampton & York as insurance???

When I applied to uni, 5 years ago now 😅 my insurance was one grade difference. But, I would still say yes look at course (Southampton is brilliant but I would say that!!)

aha, yep, that's exactly the situation I'm in currently so it's reassuring to know that applying worked out ok for you in terms of having a one-grade difference. Also, I fully agree, Southampton had an amazing atmosphere and felt very welcoming so I really hope I get in :biggrin:
As far as an insurance uni is concerned go for your second favourite York in your case, For most subjects there are always likely to be universities in clearing should things not work out
Original post by swanseajack1
For most subjects there are always likely to be universities in clearing should things not work out

Not top Unis this year.
Its likely to be like last year when most of them were not in Clearing at all.
Your insurance has to be somewhere you want to go, because there is a possibility of you spending 3 years living and studying there. If you don't think the course at Newcastle suits you and you don't want to go there, then don't put it down just because of the entry requirements. I would go with York, because it is unlikely you will drop down in 2 out of 3 subjects, and if that does happen, you could then take a gap year and reapply?
Having said that, what did you think of Newcastle? How big is the gap between your liking of York and Newcastle?
Original post by McGinger
Not top Unis this year.
Its likely to be like last year when most of them were not in Clearing at all.

Whist there will not be absolutely top universities in clearing there will be very good ones. There were last year. Taking Law as a subject Cardiff, Liverpool, Queen Mary, Southampton, East Anglia, Lancaster, Reading and Royal Holloway are still showing vacancies. It is likely at least some will have vacancies this year and many did last year.
Reply 11
Original post by booklover1313
Your insurance has to be somewhere you want to go, because there is a possibility of you spending 3 years living and studying there. If you don't think the course at Newcastle suits you and you don't want to go there, then don't put it down just because of the entry requirements. I would go with York, because it is unlikely you will drop down in 2 out of 3 subjects, and if that does happen, you could then take a gap year and reapply?
Having said that, what did you think of Newcastle? How big is the gap between your liking of York and Newcastle?

That's a very good point, I am being a bit overcautious, and having read these replies, I am thinking of choosing york as my insurance after all. I'll need to discuss it with my parents/teachers first though.
Honestly, it's not a huge gap, it's mostly the overall feel of both unis (mixed with a bit of gut feeling) which makes me prefer York a bit more. Also, I prefer some of York's optional modules too, a couple of them really cater to my interests and ideas for what I'd like to do in the future.

Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by swanseajack1
As far as an insurance uni is concerned go for your second favourite York in your case, For most subjects there are always likely to be universities in clearing should things not work out

I am now reconsidering York as my insurance, what you and others are saying does make a lot of sense. I'm going to talk to my parents and teachers just to be sure and then make my final decision. Hopefully, it doesn't even come to these options but its nice to know that I'm not putting an insurance choice down because I'm being overcautious and instead choosing what I would prefer.

Thank you for your response :smile:)
Original post by Lemontrees
That's a very good point, I am being a bit overcautious, and having read these replies, I am thinking of choosing york as my insurance after all. I'll need to discuss it with my parents/teachers first though.
Honestly, it's not a huge gap, it's mostly the overall feel of both unis (mixed with a bit of gut feeling) which makes me prefer York a bit more. Also, I prefer some of York's optional modules too, a couple of them really cater to my interests and ideas for what I'd like to do in the future.

Thank you for your help :smile:

I think you should Insure York if you feel fairly confident that you can achieve at least AAA.

However, if you realistically think you are likely to get a B in one of your subjects, I would pick Newcastle to be on the safe side
Is that a realistic prediction or is it "if all the stars align it might happen but actually I'll probably get AAB"?

You don't want to have an insurance choice which is actually a reach. If you genuinely don't know, I suggest a chat with your teachers - let them know you need them to be blunt, not nice, because you are about to discard the offers you have which will allow you to get a B or two. There's a lot of pressure on teachers to overpredict because at least it gets your foot in the door, but it doesn't do you any favours if you end up with choices that need grades you won't get. Did you have to beg to get predictions that high, or are they what your teachers suggested initially? We don't know any of these things, but you do.

(Like others have said, this is in addition to them being courses you want to do and places you want to live.)
Original post by skylark2
Is that a realistic prediction or is it "if all the stars align it might happen but actually I'll probably get AAB"?

Did you have to beg to get predictions that high, or are they what your teachers suggested initially? We don't know any of these things, but you do.

That is a very good point I think.

My daughter did actually beg one of her teachers to predict her an A (the teachers inclination was to predict her a B) because she badly wanted to get an offer from a particuar uni. The teacher obliged by giving her an A prediction but in the actual exam she got a B, got rejected by the uni anyway so in hindsight should have accepted the teachers honest first prediction and applied to unis accordingly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Choose somewhere you like I see so many posts “I don’t want to go to my insurance.” On here on results day if you don’t like where you are you won’t succeed simple no ?
Reply 17
Original post by skylark2

You don't want to have an insurance choice which is actually a reach. If you genuinely don't know, I suggest a chat with your teachers - let them know you need them to be blunt, not nice, because you are about to discard the offers you have which will allow you to get a B or two. There's a lot of pressure on teachers to overpredict because at least it gets your foot in the door, but it doesn't do you any favours if you end up with choices that need grades you won't get. Did you have to beg to get predictions that high, or are they what your teachers suggested initially? We don't know any of these things, but you do.

(Like others have said, this is in addition to them being courses you want to do and places you want to live.)

These are the grades that the teachers initially predicted for me. On my most recent mock (in January), I did get a B in physics rather than an A by 3 marks but otherwise I usually consistently do get those grades (A*AA), so it's more a case of what if it's an especially hard paper on the day and what I should do if things *do* end up going wrong. Also, we have another set of mocks coming up which should clear things up again. As you said, I am planning to talk to my teachers again as soon as possible so that they can reevaluate if needed.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by harrysbar
That is a very good point I think.

My daughter did actually beg one of her teachers to predict her an A (the teachers inclination was to predict her a B) because she badly wanted to get an offer from a particuar uni. The teacher obliged by giving her an A prediction but in the actual exam she got a B, got rejected by the uni anyway so in hindsight should have accepted the teachers honest first prediction and applied to unis accordingly.

I do usually get A*AA in my mocks and tests but I'm a bit worried about putting york down and being rejected if things end up going wrong. I am going to talk to teachers again and see if they think I should be more careful or not though. Out of interest (don't feel forced to respond), what did your daughter end up doing? Did she go into clearing/take a gap year, etc.?

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by jonathanemptage
Choose somewhere you like I see so many posts “I don’t want to go to my insurance.” On here on results day if you don’t like where you are you won’t succeed simple no ?

True, I'm not very against putting Newcastle down, I just slightly prefer York. My parents don't like Newcastle either which is partly why I'm so conflicted about putting it down as an insurance choice. I still do like the uni but I do value their judgment on this matter.

Thanks for replying :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending