The Student Room Group

as level chemistry

hello people,
just in general, how do u find chemistry.
i thought it was ok, now im stressed coz i cant do any redox or organic anlayss qs right :/
exams are so soon
pls any chemist genius, how do u get better at these weak topics.
im not awful at chem just some topics..
Original post by Miasmarome
hello people,
just in general, how do u find chemistry.
i thought it was ok, now im stressed coz i cant do any redox or organic anlayss qs right :/
exams are so soon
pls any chemist genius, how do u get better at these weak topics.
im not awful at chem just some topics..

repetition

What are you actually stuck on?
Reply 2
like literally every redox q im doing on pmt
i know the content, i guess i need to just practice more,
i just came across redox titration question, is it even AS? because it was very hard
i just came across redox titration question, is it even AS? because it was very hard

Ahh I shudder at back titrations. Repeated exposure is the best method

redox titrations are A2, at least for ocr it is
Reply 5
Original post by lol2468
redox titrations are A2, at least for ocr it is

ah ok, i think it may be same for aqa, the spec doesnt say anything about redox titrations.
Reply 6
guys from now til AS exams,are you doing just past papers or topic qs too?
what do u advise, since some topics are worse than others?
guys from now til AS exams,are you doing just past papers or topic qs too?
what do u advise, since some topics are worse than others?

Once you understand the topics PPQS are the way
Usually I revise my notes and practice questions first before actually jumping into past papers. That way you get to warm up.

Get a piece of A3 paper for each topic and do mindmaps, could help with linking content in a connected way

Practice calculations: and mostly remember the steps for tackling each type of calculations e.g. for redox write out all the oxidation numbers first, then write a H2O to balance any oxygen, then add in the right number of H+ on the other side, finally check if your charges add up correctly

e.g. for back titration write out both balanced equations (read Q carefully!) then use the information on the second equation to find out how many moles the reactant is, then use this to find out the actual bit you need from the first equation to get the answer

PS I'm also procrastinating right now instead of actually doing chemistry revision... :P
Reply 9
Original post by Bookworm524
Usually I revise my notes and practice questions first before actually jumping into past papers. That way you get to warm up.

Get a piece of A3 paper for each topic and do mindmaps, could help with linking content in a connected way

Practice calculations: and mostly remember the steps for tackling each type of calculations e.g. for redox write out all the oxidation numbers first, then write a H2O to balance any oxygen, then add in the right number of H+ on the other side, finally check if your charges add up correctly

e.g. for back titration write out both balanced equations (read Q carefully!) then use the information on the second equation to find out how many moles the reactant is, then use this to find out the actual bit you need from the first equation to get the answer

PS I'm also procrastinating right now instead of actually doing chemistry revision... :P

thank youu
aah so back titrations are AS? are you in A2
Reply 10
Don’t try memorise the content. Try understanding. Once you understand all the content and know your definitions I recommend doing practice questions on each topic. From there you just have to rinse out past papers!
thank youu
aah so back titrations are AS? are you in A2

Not sure... I'm on A level year one now and I think it's on the book? But different exam boards have different content so i think you should check on yours first.

Quick Reply

Latest