I hate maths but should I take it for A levlels

Watch this thread
lilith.
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey guys im in yr 11 and I dont really like maths it rly bores me but in order to do physics a level maths is quite vital, plus most courses at uni also value maths. I dont know what to dooooooooo

Until very recently I used to get 5s in it, only in my last test I got a grade 8 but im still not that confident about it. Idk if id do well in it for alevels

Can anyone whos done maths alevel tell me about their point of view on it and how hard it is to manage pls (also if anyones done physics how manageable is it without maths and how much of it is literally maths).

(the subjects I want to do currently are physics, chemistry and maths)
Last edited by lilith.; 2 months ago
thelawkid2022
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I am a current A Level Math student and let me tell you that nothing can prepare you for the amount of hard work that goes into it. I did it at AS level thinking I got A* at IGCSE so I'd be able to manage it. I did eventually manage to get an A at AS, but it was extremely difficult for me to get there. I am dropping math 1 month before my A level exams because I don't think I'll be able to handle it at boards plus it is not needed for Law which is my course. If it is needed for your course then you should do it else it depends upon how well you think you can prepare for it. Igcses would be a wrong indicator of how well you do at AS and A levels as it is nothing compared to the difficulty level. If you're willing to put in the hard work and time, I'd say go for it, but also consider how important it is for the unis you want to apply to, check their entry requirements for the course you want to go for & decide accordingly. I did math for 2 whole years & didn't require it for my course anyway. All the best to you!
spacingoutagainx
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
heyy, im in y13 and i’ve always liked maths, never getting less than a 7 at gcse (i got an 8 in the end). i found year 1 a level maths quite alright but in year 2, you mostly develop on year 1 and im finding that hard right now. in my december mock i managed to get an A however in my most recent i think i’ll get a B.

pure maths - this in first year for me was mostly quite simple besides prof
statistics - i had done a gcse in this in y10 so it came to me slightly easier but i still disliked it because it was much more common sense
mechanics - this is what you’ll actually need for physics and i think you’ll be better off than i was since it was a hit and miss for me
thelawkid2022
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by spacingoutagainx)
heyy, im in y13 and i’ve always liked maths, never getting less than a 7 at gcse (i got an 8 in the end). i found year 1 a level maths quite alright but in year 2, you mostly develop on year 1 and im finding that hard right now. in my december mock i managed to get an A however in my most recent i think i’ll get a B.

pure maths - this in first year for me was mostly quite simple besides prof
statistics - i had done a gcse in this in y10 so it came to me slightly easier but i still disliked it because it was much more common sense
mechanics - this is what you’ll actually need for physics and i think you’ll be better off than i was since it was a hit and miss for me
I completely second this! AS math is manageable given you put in hardwork. I never did physics at igcses as well so I am struggling a lot with mechanics. For engineering or physics related courses you'd require math so I think you should go for it as mechanics is easier for physics students
Skiwi
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I do both subjects at A-level. You don't really need maths to do physics at a-level as most of it uses GCSE maths, although it woul certainly help. However if you intend on doing anything physics related after sixth form then maths is pretty much guaranteed to be a requirement. Personally physics is the hardest A-level I take. AS maths is also relatively simple if you had a strong understanding at GCSE ( from what I've seen in my class and my personal experience). The big step up comes in A2 which increases the difficulty substantially.
Last edited by Skiwi; 2 months ago
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
A level maths and physics certainly complement each other and overlap in parts, but it's perfectly possible to do one without the other.

Unless your uni course has specific subject requirements, it'll be better for you to have 3 good grades in subjects you enjoy (rather than struggling through a subject you hate and likely getting weaker results overall). Of course, if your chosen uni course requires maths then you have no option, but if you genuinely hate maths then you may not enjoy a uni course which requires it anyway.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
You don't need to take A-level Maths to do A-level Physics. If you can get an 8 at GCSE Maths, you won't struggle with the maths involved in A-level Physics. (which is not too much over GCSE maths, you'll be mainly doing a lot of rearranging [so you should be comfortable with algebra] and some trig/logs) That said, if you want to do Physics at university you essentially need A-level Maths, and A-level Further Maths would be a sensible choice. For a chemistry degree or something in the life sciences, I think taking A-level maths would be a complementary choice though certainly not always essential.
Last edited by _gcx; 2 months ago
xx_princesca_xx
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lilith.)
Hey guys im in yr 11 and I dont really like maths it rly bores me but in order to do physics a level maths is quite vital, plus most courses at uni also value maths. I dont know what to dooooooooo

Until very recently I used to get 5s in it, only in my last test I got a grade 8 but im still not that confident about it. Idk if id do well in it for alevels

Can anyone whos done maths alevel tell me about their point of view on it and how hard it is to manage pls (also if anyones done physics how manageable is it without maths and how much of it is literally maths).

(the subjects I want to do currently are physics, chemistry and maths)
Im yr13 Maths and it is a lot of hard work but its my favorite subject! Whether u should do it depends a lot on what your thinking about doing at university. But if your not sure yet it does keep your options open; my other 2 A levels are English Lit and History but Ive decided just recently that i want to study engineering where Maths is required. Btw I got a 9 at maths IGCSE.
econhelp525
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
A Level maths is much more fun than GCSE. I got a 6 at GCSE, but ended up with a B at A-Level.
lilith.
Rep:
(Original post by Skiwi)
I do both subjects at A-level. You don't really need maths to do physics at a-level as most of it uses GCSE maths, although it woul certainly help. However if you intend on doing anything physics related after sixth form then maths is pretty much guaranteed to be a requirement. Personally physics is the hardest A-level I take. AS maths is also relatively simple if you had a strong understanding at GCSE ( from what I've seen in my class and my personal experience). The big step up comes in A2 which increases the difficulty substantially.
Hi, thank u thats very helpful, what a levels do u do?
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
What do you want to do after A levels? If it's physics, time for a rethink. Maths is essential (FM is advisable), and university physics is far more like school maths than it's like school physics.

There's no reason you can't do A level physics without A level maths (provided your sixth form will allow it), but you will have to do some extra work because there's some maths in it which is beyond GCSE.
lilith.
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
What do you want to do after A levels? If it's physics, time for a rethink. Maths is essential (FM is advisable), and university physics is far more like school maths than it's like school physics.

There's no reason you can't do A level physics without A level maths (provided your sixth form will allow it), but you will have to do some extra work because there's some maths in it which is beyond GCSE.
Hi im not rly sure what I want to do yet but I do really like physics, maybe something along the lines of engineering or even something more chemistry based. Thank you for your reply!!
econhelp525
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi im not rly sure what I want to do yet but I do really like physics, maybe something along the lines of engineering or even something more chemistry based. Thank you for your reply!!
You definitely need A Level maths then. Anything STEM related you almost always should have maths. Even in the social sciences, maths is useful (required for economics).
Skiwi
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hi, thank u thats very helpful, what a levels do u do?
Maths, Fm, physics
Skiwi
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
All physics degree and I'm pretty sure all engineering degrees will require maths. What is it that you don't like about maths?
rasharasharasha
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't enjoy it. I love maths, genuinely love it so much that I like doing maths games for fun and would like to do maths at university BUT even I'm starting to hate it. It's a ton of work and you genuinely have to put a lot of effort into it. I recommend either trying out maths now (like looking through the book and trying out some exercises) then seeing how you get on or picking it as a 4th a level (my school forced us to begin with 4, maybe yours does the same?) then see how you do with the workload . If you dislike it then definitely don't do it
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
My eldest does a physics degree and she had to learn math into alevel and into year 2 of her degree. Anything to do with physics, you definitely need maths in order to apply the equations to working things out. Shes also said for physics its a lot more than just around 23 equations for gcse, she estimates its about 200 + for a degree.
Last edited by Ghostlady; 2 months ago
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I would strongly recommend looking up the course requirements for the degree you want to do on the uni websites you think you’ll apply to. You don’t want to get halfway through A levels and then realise you’re missing a subject that all unis ask for. I planned to do chemistry at uni and because I didn’t do another science I was forced to pick maths A level to be able to apply to all 5 of my unis. I detested maths A level, it was horrendously boring and quite difficult in some areas but if you need it for your degree then you just have to grit your teeth and get through it.
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 2 months ago
lilith.
Rep:
(Original post by rasharasharasha)
I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't enjoy it. I love maths, genuinely love it so much that I like doing maths games for fun and would like to do maths at university BUT even I'm starting to hate it. It's a ton of work and you genuinely have to put a lot of effort into it. I recommend either trying out maths now (like looking through the book and trying out some exercises) then seeing how you get on or picking it as a 4th a level (my school forced us to begin with 4, maybe yours does the same?) then see how you do with the workload . If you dislike it then definitely don't do it
heyy!! thats great advice, thank u sm
lilith.
Rep:
(Original post by Skiwi)
All physics degree and I'm pretty sure all engineering degrees will require maths. What is it that you don't like about maths?
I just dont rly enjoy it, its probably because I used to consistently get 5s until very recently so I've just lost all confidence for doing it. Its a pretty great feeling when I can actually do the questions but I get stuck too often and most my test results usually just demotivate me further. I tend to understand and grasp concepts in class pretty well but as soon as it comes to the test I just cant seem to do it right because I dont know how to approach questions (mostly the ones at the end) so it just makes me panic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
32%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (57)
45.6%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
21.6%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.8%

Watched Threads