The Student Room Group

What 4th A-level should I do?

I'm thinking of working in the finance/ business sector in the future. My chosen sixth form works like this: the student chooses to study 4 A-levels during their first year, and they can drop one for the second year.

I'm going to do maths, business and economics. I chose further maths for my 4th option but I am seriously reconsidering because I know it will be very hard. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 4th A-level that won't be as hard and effort-consuming as further maths? Also I definitely do not want to do law because you have to write a lot of essays.
Taking both economics and business is a bad idea, as most universities do not like that combination due to overlapping content - and a number of notable unis (e.g. LSE) do not consider them as two full A-levels but will just consider them together as a single A-level (so if you were taking those two plus one other subject, they wouldn't accept you for any degree in principle...).
Reply 2
Further maths isn't actually that time consuming, the content in it isn't that much compared to most other a-levels and it has a lot of links with regular maths. As @artful_lounger said it's best not to take both Econ and business. If you like one of the sciences then you could consider taking one, but they're also all quite hard. Computer science is also apparently a relatively chill option ( anecdotally as I don't take the subject myself).
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice, so between business and economics which one should I choose?
Reply 4
Original post by Yellowi
Thanks for the advice, so between business and economics which one should I choose?

Economics is better respected, and is better for finance/banking type roles. Maybe take another social science instead of business studies like Geography, politics or psychology. They also go well with economics, particularly geography and politics.
Original post by Yellowi
I'm thinking of working in the finance/ business sector in the future. My chosen sixth form works like this: the student chooses to study 4 A-levels during their first year, and they can drop one for the second year.

I'm going to do maths, business and economics. I chose further maths for my 4th option but I am seriously reconsidering because I know it will be very hard. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 4th A-level that won't be as hard and effort-consuming as further maths? Also I definitely do not want to do law because you have to write a lot of essays.

Loads of people in my class do both Business and Economics, and whenever we start a topic they have a foundation understanding. I would suggest doing economics if you want to go into the finance sector, but it is a little more challenging. It doesn't have as much content as other subjects so if you make sure that you go over topics frequently and try doing exam questions ( 12,15,25 markers) then theres no reason why you shouldn't be getting A's. Honestly i find psychology and english harder to revise for then econ
how is physics a level?
Reply 7
If you get to grips with Further Maths it is a lot less work than a 4th different subject as it will help a lot with normal Maths. This also makes it a good choice to do for a year then drop imo

Secondly, if you study Economics at a university with a focus on the quantative side you will end up having to learn a lot of the Further Maths style content anyway.

Of the sciences all I can say is to avoid Chemistry if you don't love it as from experience it becomes a mixture of hard and a tonne of memorisation

Quick Reply

Latest