The Student Room Group

National 5 exams

Hi I am a national 5 student and I’m worried about my exams specifically modern studies and I have 18 days left Till my chemistry exam. I do not know how to study for modern studies and I failed the prelim. I got 4A 2B and 1F in my prelims. I am looking for advice for how to study in these last 2 weeks. I am wanting to do medicine and require As and 5As in higher. I also did bad in Ruae which I got 15/30. For biology I got a low B and I do struggle with it.
The subjects I am studying are:
-biology
-chemistry
-physics
-modern study
-drama
-English
-maths
So I haven’t studied a lot of your subjects but I have done Maths and English Nat 5.

Good things to do in general would be:
do past papers (and look at the marking schemes)
practise questions that are worth more points more
try to actively memorise stuff if you’re revising. So instead of highlighting stuff multiple times try some different techniques (like the ones below)

Also definitely test out different methods of learning like:
•recording your notes so you can listen to them (e.g you can use WhatsApp)
try reading out loud your notes
try quizzing yourself with the knowledge you’d like to remember (Quizlet is a pretty decent free app that has flash cards)
look at your notes, cover them up and try to write them down on a piece of paper from memory, then do it again until you’ve removed it better
also I don’t know if it’s for Nat 5 but there’s a website that most Scottish students should have access to called Scholar. I don’t remember exactly how to log in but I think it’s to do with your candidate number. It’s pretty good and if there’s not Nat 5 yet then it will help for subjects you may take in the future
you can also try to remember stuff by talking to someone about what you’re learning

Last things:
maybe talk to a teacher about your worries? Like ask for some tips?
it’s okay to be nervous 👍
good luck
Original post by SomeoneYouKnow34
So I haven’t studied a lot of your subjects but I have done Maths and English Nat 5.

Good things to do in general would be:
do past papers (and look at the marking schemes)
practise questions that are worth more points more
try to actively memorise stuff if you’re revising. So instead of highlighting stuff multiple times try some different techniques (like the ones below)

Also definitely test out different methods of learning like:
•recording your notes so you can listen to them (e.g you can use WhatsApp)
try reading out loud your notes
try quizzing yourself with the knowledge you’d like to remember (Quizlet is a pretty decent free app that has flash cards)
look at your notes, cover them up and try to write them down on a piece of paper from memory, then do it again until you’ve removed it better
also I don’t know if it’s for Nat 5 but there’s a website that most Scottish students should have access to called Scholar. I don’t remember exactly how to log in but I think it’s to do with your candidate number. It’s pretty good and if there’s not Nat 5 yet then it will help for subjects you may take in the future
you can also try to remember stuff by talking to someone about what you’re learning

Last things:
maybe talk to a teacher about your worries? Like ask for some tips?
it’s okay to be nervous 👍
good luck

Thanks for the advice and I will definitely use your tips. I have a good memory and can learn stuff easily. So do you think I should juts be doing loads of timed past papers
i did modern studies and for all the topics i memorised my point and examples. its vital you know your points and try to pick evidence that can be used for different points and aren't specific to one. for the explanation, as long as you know all the content well and actually understand, is relatively easy to make up on the spot.

for the source questions, memorise the structure and stick to it 100%. and make sure you are confident in picking out evidence quickly. in my exam last year i didnt have time to highlight the paper so i just picked it out as i went. AND MAKE SURE UR FAST !!!!! my friend last year, who always got As, didnt finish the paper.

and always make sure to answer the question obvie
Original post by cravitayz
i did modern studies and for all the topics i memorised my point and examples. its vital you know your points and try to pick evidence that can be used for different points and aren't specific to one. for the explanation, as long as you know all the content well and actually understand, is relatively easy to make up on the spot.

for the source questions, memorise the structure and stick to it 100%. and make sure you are confident in picking out evidence quickly. in my exam last year i didnt have time to highlight the paper so i just picked it out as i went. AND MAKE SURE UR FAST !!!!! my friend last year, who always got As, didnt finish the paper.

and always make sure to answer the question obvie

Thank you very much, in my prelim Imissed most of the last section as I didn’t have time and my fingers were physically hurting from all the writing, I thought i was writing very fast.
Original post by Nat5candidate
Thanks for the advice and I will definitely use your tips. I have a good memory and can learn stuff easily. So do you think I should juts be doing loads of timed past papers

Yeah!

Quick Reply

Latest