The Student Room Group

Nicest "campused" university with a decent reputation

My daughter is particularly keen on the idea of a self contained campused Uni for her first degree - like Bath, Lancaster etc

We have been shortlisting potential places, and don't want to miss any off the list that might be worth considering. FWIW we are looking at Lancaster or better

I wonder if there are some nice "semi-campused" Unis (like Exeter?) that we need to look at too

Scroll to see replies

Choose the subject, course, then campus.
Choosing a campus first is plain daft
What the above said
Ultimately your daughter is going to uni to study the course. She needs to like what she is doing
She should find all the uni's which are doing courses she likes, look into the courses and short-list based of that
And then look at other things- obviously the city and the uni campus will play a role in that, but she should find uni's based off the degree first and then the campus, not the other way around

Also what do you mean uni's like Lancaster or better? Is this in terms of rankings? All uni's will have their own individual rankings for each degree too. One uni might be ranked highly overall, but be low for the subject she would like to do
I go to Exeter and i would say it is definitely a self-contained campus and not a semi-campus. It is a beautiful campus and i highly recommend it
Reply 4
to add some context, its Undergrad Politics/IR and the Unis looked at so far are based on my own experience (as parent / ex student at 4 Unis / and as an academic)

we have been to quite a few Unis and are possibly settling on St Andrews, Bath, Lancaster in that order

Campused Unis we have looked at (eg Warwick, Loughborough, York, Nottingham) have appealed so much more than non (eg Sheffield, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde). Mixed views about Cambridge and Durham. No interest in the good London ones

Given there are over 100 Unis in the country I didn't want to have excluded somewhere decent by accident - eg we want to get to Exeter, dont think I have missed any other
For her first degree lol
Reply 6
Original post by Alicecrom
For her first degree lol

should have said undergraduate? But, yes I guess you could read that two ways
Original post by LittleSkink
should have said undergraduate? But, yes I guess you could read that two ways

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/preparing-for-university/list-of-campus-unis-in-the-uk
What degree is your daughter interested in?
Reply 9

thanks for that utilitymaker, didn't know someone had made a list! Quite a broad definition of campused with that list but v. helpful
thanks for that utilitymaker, didn't know someone had made a list! Quite a broad definition of campused with that list but v. helpful

P1000431.JPG
This is inside one of the student building at Exeter

I think the definition includes every university that has their buildings and facilities in one or more spots that's entirely owned by the university.

Though somewhere like KCL is technically a multi-campus uni, however it doesn't make the list as the King's College doesn't own the land where each of their campuses are. They just own a bunch of buildings in the area.

Whereas QMUL, though a London uni is contained in one spot and the university owns the entire area where most of the university is situated.
Original post by Alicecrom
For her first degree lol

It’s a fairly common term overseas for an undergrad degree. But yes, it can sound as if they have an extensive academic career planned out :smile:
London unis generally have the worst campuses among decent unis.
Newer unis like Warwick or Bath have well-planned mordern campuses.
Older unis like Durham or Bristol have ancient buildings that integrate well with the city.
London unis are mostly a few random buildings without proper designs. KCL's main campus, Strand, is nothing but three or four brutualist buildings. Bloomsbury unis are slightly better, but you will never feel you are in unis. The environment is just awful.
My daughter is particularly keen on the idea of a self contained campused Uni for her first degree - like Bath, Lancaster etc

We have been shortlisting potential places, and don't want to miss any off the list that might be worth considering. FWIW we are looking at Lancaster or better

I wonder if there are some nice "semi-campused" Unis (like Exeter?) that we need to look at too

surrey is a really nice campus based uni but it depends on what course she wants to do
Original post by aliaa03
surrey is a really nice campus based uni but it depends on what course she wants to do

Guildford is not great though
Original post by Muttley79
Guildford is not great though

yeah true very expensive place to live and not the greatest night life
Reply 17

I would say Uni Of Sheffield is 'semi-campused' - all the buildings are in a long row next to each other, it's sort of like a campus intertwined with the city. As for a proper, contained campus, I'd say Loughborough is hard to beat - really beautiful campus with nice buildings, a very good selection of first year accommodation on site too which comes with its perks (security patrols, proximity to departments etc.)
Hi there

It's great to hear you have considered applying to Surrey!

It's a tough decision to decide what University is better for you. However, I have some tips. You can look closer into each course, the modules, etc. Have a general idea of what course you like better and what modules appeal to you more. You can also look at the University itself and compare the universities based on facilities, support or anything you think is important to you for a university to have. You can have a look at the accommodation or the town. That way, you are considering many factors that may help you decide. I would also suggest speaking to your family and friends about each University and seeing which one you're more passionate about when talking to them.

Our University is situated in the vibrant Surrey town of Guildford. Our charming location offers an array of cultural sights and modern attractions to enhance your student experience. There is plenty to discover, from lively nightlife and entertainment venues such as G-Live and the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre to the hundreds of shops and restaurants. What's more, Guilford is just a short 30-minute drive to London Heathrow airport and a 34-minute journey to London by train.

Surrey is known to emphasise the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at University. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests students have and clubs for all kinds of sports that a student might want to take up.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions or want to find out more about Surrey, please let me know!:smile:

Joao Economics
(edited 2 years ago)

Lancaster Mum here - well not quite, im from Nottingham, but daughter goes to Lancaster :biggrin:
She too was exactly the same when it comes to choices, coming from a small village she did not want to be overwhelmed by a huge city. She chose Oxford, Lancaster York and Leicester.

The good thing about Lancaster > I have a page going here >>> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6904136 Its got some handy tips. Plus also I have a blog on TSR (from a parents point of view of course) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6562744 . This was all the open days, interviews etc leading into year 1.
One thing I absolutely love about Lancaster is that it felt safe. The campus being self contained, the city (which she lives in now shes 2nd year) is just so nice. The bus is only 15 mins and runs regularly. Bus also goes to Preston, and also morecambe, and I think there is one to Blackpool as well.

I would also recommend York as well. Thats also a good uni and self contained.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending