The Student Room Group

Job Dilemma

So I am trying to join the police, and have been given a provisional start date 6th june. I have a medical on thursday, however i am not sure if i will pass as im on antidepressants and a couple months back i increased it slightly (100 to 125). the thing is i am starting a new job on the 19th and i will be find out whether or not i have been accepted into the police by the 6th may. i don't really want to mess my new employer around but also i want options if i don't get into the police. What should I do?
Reply 1
I had the exact same problem. In the end I had to choose between the Police and the other job. I had just passed the medical for the police and I probably would have been given a formal offer from the police within a week or so. However I had to make a decision then and I chose the other job for a couple of personal reasons. Hardest decision ive ever made but once I decided and withdrew from the police I felt much better. Ultimately you need to go with what is right for you.

Some people would probs say go with your new job then sack them off if the police offer comes in. I couldnt do that. If you go that route be aware of what your new job notice period is as that could trip you up.

As for the medical, if it is the physical side of things youll know if you passed on the day (unless further evidence is needed). If your medication was mentioned on the form and signed off by your GP and you made the physical stage it probs wont be an issue.
Original post by Mburn
I had the exact same problem. In the end I had to choose between the Police and the other job. I had just passed the medical for the police and I probably would have been given a formal offer from the police within a week or so. However I had to make a decision then and I chose the other job for a couple of personal reasons. Hardest decision ive ever made but once I decided and withdrew from the police I felt much better. Ultimately you need to go with what is right for you.

Some people would probs say go with your new job then sack them off if the police offer comes in. I couldnt do that. If you go that route be aware of what your new job notice period is as that could trip you up.

As for the medical, if it is the physical side of things youll know if you passed on the day (unless further evidence is needed). If your medication was mentioned on the form and signed off by your GP and you made the physical stage it probs wont be an issue.

I have a four week notice period so the police should let me know by 6th may. My doctor signed off my form and I have no physical health problem however admittedly that was before my medication increased a little

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending