The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

John Snow versus Josephine Butler

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the advantages of each of these colleges, as I can't decide which to put as my first preference they're both pretty equal in my eyes! I haven't had the chance to visit in person so just wondering if anyone can offer an insight? Thanks! :smile:
@student3636ne has any advice on the advantages of each of these colleges, as I can't decide which to put as my first preference they're both pretty equal in my eyes! I haven't had the chance to visit in person so just wondering if anyone can offer an insight? Thanks! :smile:

HI @student3636,

Amazing that you're thinking of Durham University.

I'm currently at John Snow college so I can tell you a bit more about it. John Snow College is on the Mount Oswald site which is a 15-minute walk to town. There are loads of on-site facilities like a gym, dance studio, music room, JCR, college bar and astroturf. John Snow provides a lot of welfare support with Welfare roles on the JCR Exec and working-class, LGBT+ and BAME agents. John Snow also has a Student Support Officer who is available to help with more serious issues to provide support and guidance. There are a whole plethora of societies at John Snow ranging from a Taylor Swift Appreciation Society to a Book Club - it's really easy to set up a new society. The same goes for sports, John Snow has a wide range of sports available that can be played casually or you can play at an intercollegiate level. There are opportunities for part-time jobs in college whether in the gym, working formals or working at the college bar. The college is gowned with regular formals and college events. Most of the rooms are ensuites except for the townhouses.

I understand that this is a lot of information. If you've got any questions let me know. If you're interested in finding out more about Josephine Butler I recommend getting in contact with their JCR's Instagram page!

-Lamesha (Official DU Rep)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hey I can help a bit- I went and visited John Snow in March at the Post Offer Holder day and I really liked it (it was already my top college but now I don’t want to change my mind and am dead set on it). The facilities are really modern and nice. I like how quiet it is but not too remote as you share facilities with South college and there are about 4 other colleges surrounding it. I liked the walk to get to the town centre from the college (I took a bus to get up there). Everyone was super friendly and I like all the inclusive opportunities there from what I heard. Also I read on their website (and confirmed with the tour guide there) that you don’t have to move out during holidays, you can stay in the college if you want, which for me is really good because I live 4-5 hours away from the uni. I hope this helps
Original post by evakesiax
Hey I can help a bit- I went and visited John Snow in March at the Post Offer Holder day and I really liked it (it was already my top college but now I don’t want to change my mind and am dead set on it). The facilities are really modern and nice. I like how quiet it is but not too remote as you share facilities with South college and there are about 4 other colleges surrounding it. I liked the walk to get to the town centre from the college (I took a bus to get up there). Everyone was super friendly and I like all the inclusive opportunities there from what I heard. Also I read on their website (and confirmed with the tour guide there) that you don’t have to move out during holidays, you can stay in the college if you want, which for me is really good because I live 4-5 hours away from the uni. I hope this helps

Hi thanks for replying! That is really helpful, I've put JS as my second preference and JB as my first in the end because of the guaranteed en-suites for Josephine Butler, but I got the chance to go on a college tour over easter and the JS staff were great it's a lovely college :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Durham Students
@student3636ne has any advice on the advantages of each of these colleges, as I can't decide which to put as my first preference they're both pretty equal in my eyes! I haven't had the chance to visit in person so just wondering if anyone can offer an insight? Thanks! :smile:

HI @student3636,

Amazing that you're thinking of Durham University.

I'm currently at John Snow college so I can tell you a bit more about it. John Snow College is on the Mount Oswald site which is a 15-minute walk to town. There are loads of on-site facilities like a gym, dance studio, music room, JCR, college bar and astroturf. John Snow provides a lot of welfare support with Welfare roles on the JCR Exec and working-class, LGBT+ and BAME agents. John Snow also has a Student Support Officer who is available to help with more serious issues to provide support and guidance. There are a whole plethora of societies at John Snow ranging from a Taylor Swift Appreciation Society to a Book Club - it's really easy to set up a new society. The same goes for sports, John Snow has a wide range of sports available that can be played casually or you can play at an intercollegiate level. There are opportunities for part-time jobs in college whether in the gym, working formals or working at the college bar. The college is gowned with regular formals and college events. Most of the rooms are ensuites except for the townhouses.

I understand that this is a lot of information. If you've got any questions let me know. If you're interested in finding out more about Josephine Butler I recommend getting in contact with their JCR's Instagram page!

-Lamesha (Official DU Rep)

Hi, I visited John Snow in March but wasn't sure about the vibe? Is there a lot of participation in sport and societies? also how often are the formals?
Hi, I visited John Snow in March but wasn't sure about the vibe? Is there a lot of participation in sport and societies? also how often are the formals?

Out of interest did you end up being allocated John Snow? I put it as a preference but ended up getting Stevo haha
Original post by student3636

Out of interest did you end up being allocated John Snow? I put it as a preference but ended up getting Stevo haha
I was allocated John Snow. From what I’ve heard the vibe there is great. They do bar crawls music concerts with bands, etc

Quick Reply

Latest