The Student Room Group

Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak to be fined over lockdown parties

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StriderHort
Yeah I'm from Glasgow, we're not allowed to drink in public and haven't been for decades. Can't be trusted :tongue:

Does drunk Glaswegians singing the Scottish national anthem a cappella really sound that terrible? :tongue:
Original post by Tracey_W
Well if this is the case of them both being fined then therefore he broken the rule's of lockdown etc and therefore should resign along with everyone else in the government who attended any parties and has been given fines.

Probably best thing to do is call a general election as probably every Tory member is as bad as Boris in breaking the rules.

I agree there are so many MP's fined we need a hard reset (they should all be dismissed) and a GE is the best and most efficient way to do that.
Original post by londonmyst
Does drunk Glaswegians singing the Scottish national anthem a cappella really sound that terrible? :tongue:

Well it's only 2 lines long...

'O Flower Of Scotland, Da Dee Da Dee, Da Dee Dah Dee' :rolleyes: With an optional 'Up The Bhoys!' or 'RAN-GERS' (with no irony)

But yeah, between the football and old gang trouble our council long lost patience and passed bylaws banning public drinking here,, they only in recent years started giving licenses for pubs to open enclosed beer gardens in public (downside, they also refused to grant any new nightclub licenses... ever :frown: )
Original post by jonathanemptage
I agree there are so many MP's fined we need a hard reset (they should all be dismissed) and a GE is the best and most efficient way to do that.

But what do you do when they win a landslide again? :confused:
But what do you do when they win a landslide again? :confused:

But will they so many people feel betrayed I certainly won't be voting for him. The local election results will be very interesting.
But will they so many people feel betrayed I certainly won't be voting for him. The local election results will be very interesting.

The cynic in me says yes, the absolutely corrupt disaster that was Brexit didn't seem to stop them, and he broke rules then too with the whole 'illegally shutting parliament/democracy' thing.

People will feel betrayed, then mostly have their dinner and get over it. Plenty of posters even here think he should basically be left alone to get on with the job no matter what and would happily kick any issues into the long grass no matter how many lives those choices impacted or ended.

Well do that includes myself being a Glaswegian who happened to do this a while back.....😰😨😨🌚🥵👿
Well it's only 2 lines long...

'O Flower Of Scotland, Da Dee Da Dee, Da Dee Dah Dee' :rolleyes: With an optional 'Up The Bhoys!' or 'RAN-GERS' (with no irony)

But yeah, between the football and old gang trouble our council long lost patience and passed bylaws banning public drinking here,, they only in recent years started giving licenses for pubs to open enclosed beer gardens in public (downside, they also refused to grant any new nightclub licenses... ever :frown: )

Mae it's more than two lines

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your likes again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent them homeward,
Tae think again.
The Hills are bare now,
And Autumn leaves
lie thick and still,
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held,
That stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent them homeward,
Tae think again.
Those days are past now,
And in the past
they must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be a nation again,
That stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent them homeward,
Tae think again.
0 Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
your likes again,
And stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent them homeward,
Tae think again.
Original post by Tracey_W
Mae it's more than two lines

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your likes again,
And stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent them homeward,
Tae think again.
The Hills are bare now,
And Autumn leaves
lie thick and still,
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held,
That stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent them homeward,
Tae think again.
Those days are past now,
And in the past
they must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be a nation again,
That stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent them homeward,
Tae think again.
0 Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
your likes again,
And stood against them,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent them homeward,
Tae think again.

Yes, I'm aware it's a full song, tis a joke, I've had to sing/play the thing too many damn times as it is, so I'm well aware how many lapse into the 'Da Da Da Da-Dee Dah' after a few lines :wink:

Many people that are not members of any political organisations/grassroots activist groups do not vote in local or mayoral elections.
It will be interesting to see whether turnout is lower or higher than previous local election years.
Yes, I'm aware it's a full song, tis a joke, I've had to sing/play the thing too many damn times as it is, so I'm well aware how many lapse into the 'Da Da Da Da-Dee Dah' after a few lines :wink:

Yeah I thought you knew that but I just sent you whole lyric as a joke as well but it is harder to sing when drunk....
🌚
At least we both can say it was a joke 🙂
Just how desperate is Boris to keep his job that he wants to go in a ****ing warzone for a photo op just to scalvage whatever sorry reputation he has left? He would still get plenty of cash when he resigns
Boris Johnson should be given a proper sentence. He should be given antabuse and ordered to watch 100 consecutive episodes of the american day-time soap General Hospital. He need not worry about taking a piss because of all the suspense and fine acting. Unfortunately, most legal systems have some clause against cruel and unusual punishment.
(edited 2 years ago)
Johnson, Sunak and the rest of the cabinet are currently parroting lines about 'delivering for the British people'. No doubt their crisis management PR team is telling them all the same thing. Sadly I have no hope that this fine will lead to any real change in government, just the same sleaze and corruption as before.
Most of the lockdown restrictions in England & NI were idiotic, impractical, unworkable and unnecessary.
I've never worn a facial covering and would never do so.
I stay away from all venues and premises where wearing it was required or is requested by the owner/tenant/residents.

my family members who died because of covid would probably say we didn't do enough
Original post by SHallowvale
Johnson, Sunak and the rest of the cabinet are currently parroting lines about 'delivering for the British people'. No doubt their crisis management PR team is telling them all the same thing. Sadly I have no hope that this fine will lead to any real change in government, just the same sleaze and corruption as before.

It was particularly nauseating listening to Johnson use his apology to drop in his levelling up buzzwords.
Original post by yeet_21
my family members who died because of covid would probably say we didn't do enough

Could've gone full China on it... for all the good that did.
Original post by yeet_21

Of course because in retrospect they would have wanted any measure to have prevented their deaths. We basically wasted 2 years on a virus that killed relatively few people for the number it did infect. It made no sense to shut down everyone's lives for a relatively tiny minority of people who died (who were mostly elderly anyway).
Original post by sufys
Of course because in retrospect they would have wanted any measure to have prevented their deaths. We basically wasted 2 years on a virus that killed relatively few people for the number it did infect. It made no sense to shut down everyone's lives for a relatively tiny minority of people who died (who were mostly elderly anyway).

That's the real elephant in the room. The people in No10 never went to these parties and were worried sick " Aah I might catch COVID and die" no because they knew the virus was relatively harmless to healthy young people. They knew the laws they implemented were unreasonable and unnecessary but done it anyway because they could whilst not following it themselves.
Original post by ManInTheMiddle
That's the real elephant in the room. The people in No10 never went to these parties and were worried sick " Aah I might catch COVID and die" no because they knew the virus was relatively harmless to healthy young people. They knew the laws they implemented were unreasonable and unnecessary but done it anyway because they could whilst not following it themselves.

Not sure if they were "unreasonable and unnecessary" but it does annoy me that the government implements laws that they can't follow and some still choose to defend their rule-breaking.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending