What do you/did you find hardest about learning to drive?

Watch
icapturethecastle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i'm still learning... i can do manouveres fine, and clutch control is good, but i have a problem with hesitation at roundabouts :o:

(Original post by boven78hx1)
If you find it difficult to avoid hitting children you should defently not be allowed on the road, what a mistake allowing you to pass
i really don't think they were serious
boven78hx1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by junglemonkey)
Identifying sarcasm not a strong point, then?
I have had straight as in english thankyou, if you thought that was a joke then you are obviously have a very low level of humour.

what a disgrace
CatherineSmith
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used to be frightened to give gas when I was by a traffic light, for example. I thought if I gave too much gas, I would go into the person in front of me. My driving instructor recognised this about me, and he showed me that I can't go far. Since then, I've been fine with giving gas. I passed, so I must be fine.

I was terrible with my manoeuvres too, but I finally got them in the end, so if you think you can't do them, it will eventually come.
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well then you obviously are not very good as you park 1 metre away from the curve
If you attempt the manoeuvre and end up 1 metre away from the curb, then you just need to go bring the car in safely, without mounting the curb or touching any of the cars around you until it is a few inches away. As long as you do that then it is fine. I passed after I finished well wide of the curb, by simply bringing the car in safely and making sure to do all the observations and keeping it under control.
Sardine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i find it difficult on the busy 40mph roads, there theres cars behind me. I like to stay in my comfort zone of 25-30mph, any faster and i panic and get confused about what to do. The drivers start getting angry so that makes me even more nervous. i don't know how im gonna pass my test!

also, i dont understand the clutch business - the instructor doesnt explain properly. Say if im on a slow moving road, shud i drive with clutch control or accelerator?
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
i find it difficult on the busy 40mph roads, there theres cars behind me. I like to stay in my comfort zone of 25-30mph, any faster and i panic and get confused about what to do. The drivers start getting angry so that makes me even more nervous. i don't know how im gonna pass my test!

also, i dont understand the clutch business - the instructor doesnt explain properly. Say if im on a slow moving road, shud i drive with clutch control or accelerator?
It depends quite how slow moving you are. If the traffic is literally crawling and you are on a slow road, ie moving 2 metres or so then stopping, etc etc, then obviously you will only need clutch control because if you will be moving incrementaly over extremely short distances.
Sardine
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Nyet)
It depends quite how slow moving you are. If the traffic is literally crawling and you are on a slow road, ie moving 2 metres or so then stopping, etc etc, then obviously you will only need clutch control because if you will be moving incrementaly over extremely short distances.
ooh thanks! that makes sense.. also, say im in third or fourth gear and see the traffic lights go red ahead, do i brake first then change to first or clutch in then brake and change gear. I find if i brake the car starts jittering, if that makes sense.
Ivich
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Parallel parking, I failed my test on it
She made me do it UP A HILL!
Sarah Sheep
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ivich)
Parallel parking, I failed my test on it
She made me do it UP A HILL!

oooh that's mean!
MSB
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you find it difficult to avoid hitting children you should defently not be allowed on the road, what a mistake allowing you to pass
(Original post by gbp1)
get off the road, your a danger, get a life dont lose somebody elses.

WTF are you doing on the road.
Oh, it's okay, I only go for the disabled ones.

i luv sarcasm
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MSB)
Oh, it's okay, I only go for the disabled ones.

i luv sarcasm
I find the wheelchair makes a nasty dent in the front bumper, what bullbars would you recommend for a hatch-sized car?

In all seriousness, when learning I found paraparking and reverse cornering the hardest to master. Bayparking was a doddle because it was a simple scenario where the same thing could be executed everytime (test centre carpark) however the other 2 required watching out for other traffic and was harder to judge kerb distance without staring at the mirrors.

Now that I've passed I can parapark no problem and reversing round corners is such a quick thing to do that I'm not too worried about sticking exactly 6-12" away from the kerb to do it. As my instructors car was a diesel clutch control was so easy. (although I still did stall it on many occations)
thegrassisgreenerontheotherside
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've only just started and finding 3-point turns really hard to do and going round corners ><"
AWSLC
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Roundabouts were the nightmare of learning to drive for me, I hated them :sad:

Other than that, I think the rest was OK :yep:
Cyrus The Great
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Parallel parking is difficult to grasp when you start driving. Thankfully, im an expert now, im so good i should compete in Formula 1.
Yellow-nutshell
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
clutch control to begin with..then i started reversing around corners and it all got a whole lot worse! That and parallel parking. And i got both on my test! I passed though so can't be too bad
GuitarMilesy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by gbp1)
get off the road, your a danger, get a life dont lose somebody elses.

WTF are you doing on the road.
Has everyone here lost their sense of humour? I somehow think the "lampposts and small children" comment wasn't completely serious!

And you can't tell someone to get off the road just because they have had trouble with parallel parking! I have had excellent driving training but struggled with that manouvre - everyone finds some aspects tricky!

Also since I have passed (like many others I suspect) I have had to use said manouvre exacly ZERO times, so I hardly think my struggle endangered the lives of every passing driver...
Jaydiee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by adarklingplain)
clutch control, and knowing when to go at roundabouts... I actually found manouveres surprisingly easy, but my instructor said I pick them up much quicker than most people
You know my driving instructor said that to me as well...bet they say it to pretty much everyone :shifty:

And yeah definetley when to go at roundabouts, i find the smaller ones trickier, and double mini's << :evil:
Solar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Looking on the ground, accidently stopping on "KEEP CLEAR" and yellow boxes.

I never look on the road :o:
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
ooh thanks! that makes sense.. also, say im in third or fourth gear and see the traffic lights go red ahead, do i brake first then change to first or clutch in then brake and change gear. I find if i brake the car starts jittering, if that makes sense.
Erm...not exactly sure what you mean...you don't need to change gears when about to stop, you just gently use the footbreak and keep it in the gear it is in, and then when you stop moving either put it into first and put the handbreak on whilst you wait (if likely to be a short waiting period) or put the handbreak on and put it in neutral if you're going to be there for a while. The car shouldn't jitter if you apply the footbreak and slow down in fourth or third gear, as long as you then put the clutch down when you're on the verge of stopping due to breaking (though be careful not to coast), and as long as you break 'correctly', ie do it smoothly rather than put it in fourth and break very very gradually and inconsistently over a long distance, whilst the car becomes slower and slower, as that will make it jitter.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's the coasting thing which I keep doing :banghead:. Sometimes I leave it too late to put the clutch down and stall because of it (which is so annoying) or I put it down too early and he says about coasting and I would fail . Is this just practice so eventually I'll be able to do it properly? I know I am supposed to do it when I'm just about to stop, but it always seems to be too early, then if I wait it's too late! :mad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (61)
21.11%
No (228)
78.89%

Watched Threads