What do you/did you find hardest about learning to drive?

Watch
ummyes
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Hill Starts are fairly tricky but the rest seems ok...
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
It's the coasting thing which I keep doing :banghead:. Sometimes I leave it too late to put the clutch down and stall because of it (which is so annoying) or I put it down too early and he says about coasting and I would fail . Is this just practice so eventually I'll be able to do it properly? I know I am supposed to do it when I'm just about to stop, but it always seems to be too early, then if I wait it's too late! :mad:
Yeah, its a judgement thing, it honestly does come with practice, as do all the 'technical' aspects of driving, leaving you with more time to brush up on all the anal things you have to do for the test; by that point, actually operating the car needs to be second nature. It will come though, seriously. But make sure you don't coast, because as far as I know, it is an insta-fail because you have no engine breaking due to the clutch being down, which is dangerous.
Jade4666
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I passed my test first time but really thought i would fail. Found my driving instructors new corsa diesel very easy to drive but now with my car its a nightmare.got a dodgy clutch and clutch control is sooo hard i find im coasting half the time such as in slow moving traffic :-S
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Parking behind a car in two car lengths. I jist cannae do that!

Pray it won't be on my test.
Sardine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zack)
It's the coasting thing which I keep doing :banghead:. Sometimes I leave it too late to put the clutch down and stall because of it (which is so annoying) or I put it down too early and he says about coasting and I would fail . Is this just practice so eventually I'll be able to do it properly? I know I am supposed to do it when I'm just about to stop, but it always seems to be too early, then if I wait it's too late! :mad:
hey whats coasting :confused:
Magnanimity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
Coasting is when you put the clutch down/have the gearstick in neutral while you're moving. It means you're free wheeling.
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
driving along with your foot pressed down on the clutch pedal, ie drifting along on the car's own momentum rather than any engine power input.
cucumber sandwich
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Definitely to learn all the dumb rules
katyscarlett
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I couldn't park, and I still can't. I was really lucky, as I pulled in to do a paralell park on my test, the car infront pulled away. This happened twice, and my instructer just told me to continue, so luckily no parking for me

Its a good job as I wouldn't have passed otherwise :]
Lallz
Report 11 years ago
The clutch just absolutely kills me. That and remembering to shift gears when I slow down -___-

Oh, and not forgetting hazard perception lol. I really should wear my glasses...
Elvendork
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Reversing. I always try to turn the wheel the wrong way, it's really annoying and I don't know why I do it, I have been getting better recently though.
Sardine
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Nyet)
driving along with your foot pressed down on the clutch pedal, ie drifting along on the car's own momentum rather than any engine power input.
i think i do that then press the brakes gently to stop. Is that bad?? :0
inderdeepg
Report 11 years ago
I finally passed, but still find it hard on judgement. Knowing if i have time and space to move out into a road while cars are coming. And also how close i am when going through narrow gaps of parked cars.
Zack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sahds)
i think i do that then press the brakes gently to stop. Is that bad?? :0
If you do it too early, it's a fail. You are supposed to do it though, just at the right time

Surprised your instructor doesn't have a go about it, mine won't stop moaning! (Which is obviously a good thing in the end, just annoying that I keep getting moaned at as I try to change it but can’t!)
jinglepupskye
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It seems as though the BBc needs to either finda copy of the old Public Information filma about Reginald Molehusband or they need to make a new one. It would certainly make a change from the endless trailers for programmes that get repeated umpteen times a day.

For those who don't know Reginald,here is the script for the film.

'This is the story of Reginald Molehusband, married, two children, whose reverse parking was a public danger (brakes and gears crunching). People came from miles just to see it. Bets were laid on his performance. What he managed to miss at the back, he was sure to make up for at the front. Bus drivers and taxis changed their routes to avoid him. Until the day that Reginald Molehusband did it right (sound of reversing). Not too close, far enough forward... come on Reginald... and reverse in slowly... come on.... and watching traffic... (applause from watching crowd) and park perfectly! Well done Reginald Molehusband, the safest parker in town.'
Double Agent
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Probably knowing when is safe to pull out or overtake, but i found the whole process fairly easy really.
foldingstars
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Reversing around a corner, I never really got it to be honest and haven't done it since I passed, HATED IT!
Also found clutch control and hesitation at roundabouts to be a problem! Once you've passed and are driving by yourself things are SO much easier, shame it's not so easy when you have to get it right.
insomniac89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hate bay parking. I always manage to make a mess of it, god knows what would happen if there were actually cars parked in the other bays!
I also forget to look for road signs while driving.
TI-84
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Reversing around a corner.
Took me ages..
Emzipop
Report 11 years ago
I think I just had a BRILLIANT instructor because I didn't really have a problem with anything. And he got me through my test 1st time with few minors and I'd only been having lessons for 3 months. He is a legend!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (61)
21.18%
No (227)
78.82%

Watched Threads