The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Biochemistry Uni firm decision

I am deciding to study Biochemistry at Bath uni or Exeter Uni but can't decide which one is better

Biochemistry Bsc at Exeter = BBC
Biochemistry BSc with industry at Bath = ABB
I have heard that the employment at Bath is better than Exeter after the degree.
But I prefer the campus at Exeter and the lifestyle.
Reply 1
Original post by Astudy
I am deciding to study Biochemistry at Bath uni or Exeter Uni but can't decide which one is better

I have heard that the employment at Bath is better than Exeter after the degree.

I’m in the exact same situation! (Except I’ve got a placement on both my courses so I need AAC for Exeter and ABBB for Bath.) I’ve just visited Exeter and really loved it and the campus is stunning and so I think I’m forming Exeter. Bath is lovely too, but personally I prefer the course at Exeter I think. I like the range of modules you can choose in second year and I doubt the employment percentages are that different. I say go with which course you prefer and which environment you’d rather spend 3 years in
(edited 1 year ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by SS773
I’m in the exact same situation! (Except I’ve got a placement on both my courses so I need AAC for Exeter and ABBB for Bath.) I’ve just visited Exeter and really loved it and the campus is stunning and so I think I’m forming Exeter. Bath is lovely too, but personally I prefer the course at Exeter I think. I like the range of modules you can choose in second year and I doubt the employment percentages are that different. I say go with which course you prefer and which environment you’d rather spend 3 years in

Oh really! I was struggling to find anyone else in the same situation! I have applied twice to Exeter with the BSc and the study abroad (but thinking of switching to industry!) Yes, the campus in Exeter is so lovely and I didn't really like the Bath campus when I visited it last week.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Astudy
Oh really! I was struggling to find anyone else in the same situation! I have applied twice to Exeter with the BSc and the study abroad (but thinking of switching to industry!) Yes, the campus in Exeter is so lovely and I didn't really like the Bath campus when I visited it last week.

I think Bath as a city is really lovely, but I don’t think the campus compares to Exeter at all! I’m also really into theatre and Exeter has lots of great drama societies and a lovely theatre within the campus which really appeals to me extracurricularly!
Reply 4
Original post by SS773
I think Bath as a city is really lovely, but I don’t think the campus compares to Exeter at all! I’m also really into theatre and Exeter has lots of great drama societies and a lovely theatre within the campus which really appeals to me extracurricularly!

Yes exactly! That's great that you are into theatre so I guess Exeter caters more for your extracurricular activities then! I have had a look into the modules at Bath and Exeter Uni and Exeter definitely has more choice which is great for me so I think I will firm Exeter. The only problem is if I firm the AAC(study abroad) then I hope I get the grade A in Chemistry as otherwise I won't get the accommodation!( as my insurance will be Exeter as well). Do you know which accommodation you are potentially applying for I have looked into East park and Duryard
Reply 5
Original post by Astudy
Yes exactly! That's great that you are into theatre so I guess Exeter caters more for your extracurricular activities then! I have had a look into the modules at Bath and Exeter Uni and Exeter definitely has more choice which is great for me so I think I will firm Exeter. The only problem is if I firm the AAC(study abroad) then I hope I get the grade A in Chemistry as otherwise I won't get the accommodation!( as my insurance will be Exeter as well). Do you know which accommodation you are potentially applying for I have looked into East park and Duryard

I’ve only just started looking, but so far I like East Park and Moberly
Reply 6
Original post by SS773
I’ve only just started looking, but so far I like East Park and Moberly

Yes those are so nice!
Original post by Astudy
Yes those are so nice!

Original post by Astudy

I am going to apply for both Bath and Exeter Biochemistry this October - do you mind if I ask if your offers from both unis were contextual? The website say AAB for the course at both unis so wondered how/why you were offered lower. I am doing A level chem and bio and maths and am predicted AAB. I’m new to understanding all the nuances with uni applications. Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by Maddie57
I am going to apply for both Bath and Exeter Biochemistry this October - do you mind if I ask if your offers from both unis were contextual? The website say AAB for the course at both unis so wondered how/why you were offered lower. I am doing A level chem and bio and maths and am predicted AAB. I’m new to understanding all the nuances with uni applications. Thank you

yes of course! For Exeter I was part of Exeter Scholars programme which I joined around November of year 12 ,so I got a contextual offer. Also Exeter do offer contextual offers for people attending an underperforming school/living in a deprived area so that's another reason I got the offer I think.However, for Bath they only offer a programme once you have been accepted and are eligible (due to an underperforming school etc) to give a one grade reduction called 'Access to Bath', where its an online programme, learning about university life and you have to do a test at the end, if you pass you will get a contextual offer. I hope this helped!
Original post by Astudy
yes of course! For Exeter I was part of Exeter Scholars programme which I joined around November of year 12 ,so I got a contextual offer. Also Exeter do offer contextual offers for people attending an underperforming school/living in a deprived area so that's another reason I got the offer I think.However, for Bath they only offer a programme once you have been accepted and are eligible (due to an underperforming school etc) to give a one grade reduction called 'Access to Bath', where its an online programme, learning about university life and you have to do a test at the end, if you pass you will get a contextual offer. I hope this helped!

Yes it does thank you. I won’t be able to get a contextual offer, am state non selective but our school isn’t on the list. Well done and it’s a nice problem for you to have. Hoping I will have exactly that dilemma next year of choosing between the two, I loved the campus at Exeter and they wowed me straight away but Bath was a slow burner and the sports facilities and placement offer wowed me. Good luck choosing.
Reply 10
Yes Exeter has such a nice campus and course!, so I decided to firm Exeter in the end. But it definitely was a tough decison :smile:
Yes it does thank you. I won’t be able to get a contextual offer, am state non selective but our school isn’t on the list. Well done and it’s a nice problem for you to have. Hoping I will have exactly that dilemma next year of choosing between the two, I loved the campus at Exeter and they wowed me straight away but Bath was a slow burner and the sports facilities and placement offer wowed me. Good luck choosing.
Congrats on Exeter. It’ll be fabulous and defo the right decision.
Hi Astudy,

I am Coral, a student ambassador at the University of Exeter. Firstly, congratulations on your offer to study at the university and we are pleased to hear you have decided to firm Exeter! It will be great to have you on campus here at the University. I thought given the original question I could give you a little insight into what studying at Exeter is like! The campus itself if very green and decorated with beautiful gardens, so although you are in a city there is plenty of green open space to relax and enjoy spending time in! The university first year hall accommodation is split between on campus (located within the university grounds) and city based (some of the halls are located in the city centre or just off campus site). Exeter is easily accessible by train, bus and car so it would be very possible to travel home should you wish to! Many people find that once they are at university and fully immersed in their program and social activities that the semesters fly by before you’ve even had the chance to think about returning home for the weekend! Exeter has over 300 sports clubs and societies so there really is something for everyone. If for whatever reason there isn’t a sports club or student guild society that takes your fancy then you can always gather some like minded individuals and propose a new society to the guild which they can then assist you in setting up. Exeter is the perfect combination of country, city (Exeter is a relatively small city but has everything you could ever really need or want from a city) and seaside life, with close links to Dartmoor (1hr away), beaches (30mins on the train). Another big factor for me was that as far as cities go Exeter is considered a relatively safe city where most students travel around on foot or by bicycle. The academic reputation of the university is fantastic so you can start university with the confidence that you will leave with a top quality academic qualification. The welfare support at Exeter is incredible, I have leaned on their support services throughout university. They work in a totally non judgmental, positive outcome orientated fashion, going above and beyond to ensure you get the best possible student experience at the university of Exeter. The disadvantages are that it is considered a smaller city, so the nightlife is perhaps not as varied or there is not as much choice as other universities. However, I found the nightlife to be perfect for me as you could go out pretty much any day and be sure to bump into other people that you knew from university! Despite being easily accessible Exeter is somewhat more ‘remote’ than Bristol. The same as most universities, you may arrive at university to find that perhaps you don’t get along with your housemates, however, the university accommodation team can work with you to figure out a solution that works for both parties. This may be moving accommodations provided there is space in your preferred accommodation. Again, this was a position I found myself in and the university team was super in helping me get sorted!

Hope this is useful to you!
Coral, Exeter Student Ambassador.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi Astudy,

I am Coral, a student ambassador at the University of Exeter. Firstly, congratulations on your offer to study at the university and we are pleased to hear you have decided to firm Exeter! It will be great to have you on campus here at the University. I thought given the original question I could give you a little insight into what studying at Exeter is like! The campus itself if very green and decorated with beautiful gardens, so although you are in a city there is plenty of green open space to relax and enjoy spending time in! The university first year hall accommodation is split between on campus (located within the university grounds) and city based (some of the halls are located in the city centre or just off campus site). Exeter is easily accessible by train, bus and car so it would be very possible to travel home should you wish to! Many people find that once they are at university and fully immersed in their program and social activities that the semesters fly by before you’ve even had the chance to think about returning home for the weekend! Exeter has over 300 sports clubs and societies so there really is something for everyone. If for whatever reason there isn’t a sports club or student guild society that takes your fancy then you can always gather some like minded individuals and propose a new society to the guild which they can then assist you in setting up. Exeter is the perfect combination of country, city (Exeter is a relatively small city but has everything you could ever really need or want from a city) and seaside life, with close links to Dartmoor (1hr away), beaches (30mins on the train). Another big factor for me was that as far as cities go Exeter is considered a relatively safe city where most students travel around on foot or by bicycle. The academic reputation of the university is fantastic so you can start university with the confidence that you will leave with a top quality academic qualification. The welfare support at Exeter is incredible, I have leaned on their support services throughout university. They work in a totally non judgmental, positive outcome orientated fashion, going above and beyond to ensure you get the best possible student experience at the university of Exeter. The disadvantages are that it is considered a smaller city, so the nightlife is perhaps not as varied or there is not as much choice as other universities. However, I found the nightlife to be perfect for me as you could go out pretty much any day and be sure to bump into other people that you knew from university! Despite being easily accessible Exeter is somewhat more ‘remote’ than Bristol. The same as most universities, you may arrive at university to find that perhaps you don’t get along with your housemates, however, the university accommodation team can work with you to figure out a solution that works for both parties. This may be moving accommodations provided there is space in your preferred accommodation. Again, this was a position I found myself in and the university team was super in helping me get sorted!

Hope this is useful to you!
Coral, Exeter Student Ambassador.

Hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread as atm my top choice is Exeter - loved it for all the above reasons and the moment I walked on campus I knew and the day just got better as I worked through the seminars. I play hockey and it’s very important to me - where can I find out which levels the 2-4th ladies team play in? I did visit your amazing pitch and grandstand. Thank you.
Hi @Maddie57,

It's lovely to hear that Exeter is your top choice! The sport societies and teams are certainly a real asset to the university, and they're a great way to get involved, meet new people and develop new interests alongside your studies. To find out more about the university hockey team, I've attached a link here that should be able to give you some more information: https://www.exeteruniversityhockeyclub.com/2s-1
https://www.exeterguild.org/organisation/12179/

I hope this helps, and please feel free to get back in touch if you have any further questions!

Kitty, University of Exeter Student Ambassador.
Hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread as atm my top choice is Exeter - loved it for all the above reasons and the moment I walked on campus I knew and the day just got better as I worked through the seminars. I play hockey and it’s very important to me - where can I find out which levels the 2-4th ladies team play in? I did visit your amazing pitch and grandstand. Thank you.
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi @Maddie57,

It's lovely to hear that Exeter is your top choice! The sport societies and teams are certainly a real asset to the university, and they're a great way to get involved, meet new people and develop new interests alongside your studies. To find out more about the university hockey team, I've attached a link here that should be able to give you some more information: https://www.exeteruniversityhockeyclub.com/2s-1
https://www.exeterguild.org/organisation/12179/

I hope this helps, and please feel free to get back in touch if you have any further questions!

Kitty, University of Exeter

Thanks For your help,

Quick Reply

Latest