The Student Room Group

GCSE French vocab help

I am currently in year 10 and am trying to do some vocabulary revision for french however i don't know what vocabulary i need to revise. There are about 2000 words in the french edexcel spec but i dont know if i need to learn them all or if there are key words i must definitely know and others that are just good to know and if so how would i know which are the more crucial words.
Original post by Tom1824
I am currently in year 10 and am trying to do some vocabulary revision for french however i don't know what vocabulary i need to revise. There are about 2000 words in the french edexcel spec but i dont know if i need to learn them all or if there are key words i must definitely know and others that are just good to know and if so how would i know which are the more crucial words.

Start with tenses then extend out maybe try duolingo as it was extremely helpful for me doing GCSE french and still is now Iā€™m doing a level french although my exam board is aqa
I suggest you read two texts in French (past paper) and see what kinds of words you don't know (like prepositions and adverbs) and which words are frequent. Learn anything which appears more than once, and you should be fine. I would recommend using this Memrise course to do so, seeing as it's related to the course and just vocabulary. I do AQA, so I've just used it for extra verbs and adjectives in the past.
Original post by Tom1824

if you're in year 10 then learning 2000 words by the end of year 11 is doable by using something like quizlet, anki or memrise little and often. You wouldn't have to type them all out - there are lots of sets on quizlet like this one that you could get through gradually https://quizlet.com/206759122/edexcel-gcse-french-vocabulary-flash-cards/
i'd also recommend having a physical book or quizlet set for new words you come across in lessons/homework/past papers - those will likely be good ones to know if they keep cropping up. bonne chance!

Quick Reply

Latest