The Student Room Group

A level english

I'm moving to year 13 in July. I'll be doing 4 subjects; English, Maths, Biology, and Chemistry.
English is my best subject, and I haven't gotten below an 88% in any year 12 mock exams. However, I struggle a lot with maths and have to put in a lot of work to do well in my sciences. In year 12, I finished the English syllabus really quickly as I studied ahead and I didn't find English challenging at all.
I was discussing it with my academics counselor at school and she says if I want to and I'm determined, I can finish the syllabus for A level English and take the final exams in January 2023 instead of May 2023 so that I can focus on my other subjects as I'll have more time to study them as I can get an extra study period for all the English classes I won't have to attend and I won't have to worry about 4 subjects in my finals.
I'm still thinking about this, my English teacher believes that I'm capable and my parents have also accepted. Is there any advice /feedback that any former/current English student can give?
Original post by Armaan01234
I'm moving to year 13 in July. I'll be doing 4 subjects; English, Maths, Biology, and Chemistry.
English is my best subject, and I haven't gotten below an 88% in any year 12 mock exams. However, I struggle a lot with maths and have to put in a lot of work to do well in my sciences. In year 12, I finished the English syllabus really quickly as I studied ahead and I didn't find English challenging at all.
I was discussing it with my academics counselor at school and she says if I want to and I'm determined, I can finish the syllabus for A level English and take the final exams in January 2023 instead of May 2023 so that I can focus on my other subjects as I'll have more time to study them as I can get an extra study period for all the English classes I won't have to attend and I won't have to worry about 4 subjects in my finals.
I'm still thinking about this, my English teacher believes that I'm capable and my parents have also accepted. Is there any advice /feedback that any former/current English student can give?

Hey, I'm in year 13 studying OCR English literature and my exams start in May/June time. In my opinion, the English course does get a bit more demanding, because you have more texts to focus on so you need to give enough attention to all the different texts. However, if you do manage to fit the revision in the space of 4/5 months and you feel capable of doing it, by all means do it because you can then give your full attention to the other subjects you struggle with. I would just make sure that in that time that you're revising for the English A Level in January, don't neglect the other A levels because I tend to find that these type of subjects are demanding and you need to be on top of everything.

Quick Reply

Latest