The Student Room Group

Can I do my a levels in separate years?

So i wasn’t really planning to do my A levels in separate years, but I basically got taken out of one of my A levels. Now i’m planning to do the A level next year, and I might also learn an additional A level by self study.

I heard some unis expect your a levels exams to all be done in one year, how true is this? Is it true for russel group unis? (exc. oxbridge). I didn’t really find information on any uni websites, but i’m worried about it. Also i haven’t really thought of any exact unis I want to go to, i just want to go to a good Uni. I’m going to apply to unis next year

I’m on track for getting A*’s for my 2 a levels, and I’m sure I can get similar grades next year for my other a levels as long as I put the work in. Did anyone else do this and does it cause any problems with unis?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So i wasn’t really planning to do my A levels in separate years, but I basically got taken out of one of my A levels. Now i’m planning to do the A level next year, and I might also learn an additional A level by self study.

I heard some unis expect your a levels exams to all be done in one year, how true is this? Is it true for russel group unis? (exc. oxbridge). I didn’t really find information on any uni websites, but i’m worried about it. Also i haven’t really thought of any exact unis I want to go to, i just want to go to a good Uni. I’m going to apply to unis next year

I’m on track for getting A*’s for my 2 a levels, and I’m sure I can get similar grades next year for my other a levels as long as I put the work in. Did anyone else do this and does it cause any problems with unis?

i know someone who got a B in one of their levels when they wanted an A so resat that a level the next year and then picked up an extra one - after asking a teacher - so it can be done i think. i’m not sure if it could impact ur chance of getting into oxbridge but i would say it could lower it because you will be competing against people who did all 4 in only the 2 years and that will show better time management and focus on their studies. but make sure you email the unis before you apply and explain your situation and ask if it will affect them considering you for a place - i’ve never heard of someone doing a levels for over 3 years but also i do know you can self teach an a level just make sure you let your school know so you can go back there to take it at the time of the exam. can you not get back on to the old course? or just ask to join another?
I did French AS, and Spanish AS in Yr12
I did French A2, Spanish A2, and Classical Civilisation AS in Yr13
I then did Yr13 again and resat French A2 and took Classical Civilisation A2.

Wasn't a problem. I got into an RG uni (Leeds).

NB: it was 19 years ago though. I'm also pretty sure Oxbridge wouldn't have been as lenient.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

NB: it was 19 years ago though. I'm also pretty sure Oxbridge wouldn't have been as lenient.

same but different subject combinations, also accepted into a rg

depends on the university? i think it only applies/ more strict with medicine/ dentisry
if in doubt just call admissions and ask if they accept resits :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by fifi5768
i know someone who got a B in one of their levels when they wanted an A so resat that a level the next year and then picked up an extra one - after asking a teacher - so it can be done i think. i’m not sure if it could impact ur chance of getting into oxbridge but i would say it could lower it because you will be competing against people who did all 4 in only the 2 years and that will show better time management and focus on their studies. but make sure you email the unis before you apply and explain your situation and ask if it will affect them considering you for a place - i’ve never heard of someone doing a levels for over 3 years but also i do know you can self teach an a level just make sure you let your school know so you can go back there to take it at the time of the exam. can you not get back on to the old course? or just ask to join another?

i'm not planning to go oxbridge, i meant to say "excluding oxbridge" and my a levels would last 3 years basically. i can't get on a new a level course now because my a level exams are in <2 months, so i need to do it next year unfortunately. i have a kind of valid reason so i hope it'll be fine. thank you for your advice
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending