The Student Room Group

Marriage at a young age , Thoughts on it ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mohammed2700
💯 apologies for derailing OP

I didnt start the thread lol
Original post by Nish2257
I didnt start the thread lol

My bad lol 😂😭.
Original post by Mohammed2700
My bad lol 😂😭.

nw
I was 21 when I got married. We just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary the other day.

My parents were 33 & 34 when they got married. It lasted 7 years.

There's no right or wrong ages to get married, only right or wrong relationships.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a conversation with my friend about marriage and things in general. We both have always agreed that being financially stable and possibly a house or parents house is good enough to get married and at around 23-25 is best age .

But recently ive been thinking that even at a younger age maybe even 21 or so is not a bad enough time if you find the right person and as long as you both have money or part time jobs or as such then it wouldnt be too bad . This topic being a big one so for sure everyone has their own opinions and i would like to know some about general marriage at a young age and best

I'm not married as that would require my relationships to last longer than a few months at a time however if i was doing it all again i would take the view that 23/24 is when i would consider marriage to be a good idea.

My logic is simply that i tend to view teenage relationships as not serious enough and believe that before marriage (for the best chance of not being divorced at least) you should be with somebody for 3-4 years completing steps like living together, being engaged and even pregnancy.

Thus assuming your lucky enough to meet the guy who will make you happy at 20 then 23/24 becomes the threshold to wed and start pumping out children.
No intention of having kids (ever.)
Willing to adopt later on though (made that clear to milady.)
Marriage @ Age 30+ for me, too.
As long as you have similar values, there's nothing wrong with getting married at 20 or younger.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a conversation with my friend about marriage and things in general. We both have always agreed that being financially stable and possibly a house or parents house is good enough to get married and at around 23-25 is best age .

But recently ive been thinking that even at a younger age maybe even 21 or so is not a bad enough time if you find the right person and as long as you both have money or part time jobs or as such then it wouldnt be too bad . This topic being a big one so for sure everyone has their own opinions and i would like to know some about general marriage at a young age and best

If you feel that you have found the perfect partner and think that you would be compatible for the rest of your lives then go ahead and get married at 21.
I would because it's better than waiting an extra 3/4 years for the same outcome
Original post by Fenneko
As long as you have similar values, there's nothing wrong with getting married at 20 or younger.

:colonhash:
Original post by Callicious
:colonhash:

If you have a contention, then state it. Do you think it's immoral, or wrong, for two 18-year-olds to get married?
Suh a shame that certain posters had to bring religion into a thread about the age of marriage ...
Original post by Fenneko
If you have a contention, then state it. Do you think it's immoral, or wrong, for two 18-year-olds to get married?

I was more concerned about the fact that the statement didn't preclude the option of child marriage and that sort of thing (you sometimes get those sorts on here- nasty stuff.)

While I wouldn't do it myself under any circumstance (unless a large cash prize were available) I don't think there's anything wrong with 18 yo' folks hitching up.
Volunteer Note: Thread closed temporarily until the Community Staff clean it up and decide where it best fits on the site. Please be mindful of making sure your posts are helpful and constructive in advice forums like relationships, and that discussing broader social issues is not the purpose of the anonymous function.

Thanks everyone for your patience.
Thread now sorted out and opened. Thanks!
Damn I just asked a generic question so expected alot of different viewpoints but not to be closed for abit 😂
It certainly wasn't for me as I enjoy the freedom and opportunities of not being married but if a couple wish to get married I don't see the issue.
Provided they don't rush into it, I don't see a problem with someone getting married at 21-25. That said, they should only really get married if they have spent a sufficient amount of time with their partner both at home and outside of home. You don't really know what living with someone would be like until you do this. You'd hate to marry someone, move in together and then find that life with them 24/7 isn't as good as you thought it would be.
Original post by SHallowvale
Provided they don't rush into it, I don't see a problem with someone getting married at 21-25. That said, they should only really get married if they have spent a sufficient amount of time with their partner both at home and outside of home. You don't really know what living with someone would be like until you do this. You'd hate to marry someone, move in together and then find that life with them 24/7 isn't as good as you thought it would be.

"Provided they don't rush into it, I don't see a problem with someone getting married at 21-25"

When you are around 21 or a little older then you are likely to rush things.
I don't see the issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending