The Student Room Group

university exam question - biology

some questions are 20 marks - how would a stem student answer it? specifically a biology student

they have recommended max 1000 words but how would you do into so much detail :redface:
Hi,
Is this for a 20 mark Q in general or RE: a specific Q? Please clarify what help you are looking for!
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Hi,
Is this for a 20 mark Q in general or RE: a specific Q? Please clarify what help you are looking for!

more specifically it's a 25 marker but the practice questions i have are all 20markers
an example q: compare different epithelial cells found in the body?
- this is all covered in one lecture but im not sure if i need to link it to other lectures to make up the word count or if the marks are purely based off correct information.
i just dont know where to stop writing or how much extra reading i need to add
Original post by sppedcup
more specifically it's a 25 marker but the practice questions i have are all 20markers
- this is all covered in one lecture but im not sure if i need to link it to other lectures to make up the word count or if the marks are purely based off correct information.

What year are you in? I'm in my 4th year and we are expected to link to other lectures and journal papers in order to receive high marks. It really depends on how complex they want your answer to be. In lower years, an answer with less further reading is acceptable.

Hi I must first admit that BSc Biology is one degree I have not actually done, so my answer has to be generic - from my degrees in pharmacology and medicine, I would be inclined to broadly agree with "Hot Cross Bun" above in that yes oc, any relevant information from other parts of the syllabus would gain marks - I believe that the way university exam papers are marked is quite different to e.g. A level exams in that info derived from outside "lecture material"/syllabuses is or at least should be looked upon as admirable.

With ref to your e.g. of epithelial cells:-
I would include material taught in your tissues/cells [histology/cytology] lectures e.g. your general knowledge about squamous, columnar, cuboidal epithelia,

AS WELL AS:

stuff you learnt when reading about anatomy/physiology of individual organs/systems e.g. if you learnt about the eye, skin and the urinary bladder specifically, you could mention the similarity of the presence of pigments in the skin and in the RPE but the difference of melanin vs lipofuscin; collagen is found in various cells BUT [difference] Type VII collagen fibrils bind the basal layer cells of the corneal epithelium to its basement membrane WHEREAS e.g. collagen I and III are found in skin {epidermis] [Gray's Anatomy 41st Ed p38]. You could compare the transitional epithelium of the bladder that allows stretching for urine storage with the oblique layers in the stomach that permit churning of food by rugae OR the microvilli-laden intestinal epithelium to increase surface area for absorption and the microvilli in the proximal tubule cells of the nephron.

I would recommend citing numerous instances and examples from various parts of the body/different organisms [BUT NOT to go into extreme detail on individual items] for maximum marks.

Good luck & be safe!
M
Original post by bunbunbun
What year are you in? I'm in my 4th year and we are expected to link to other lectures and journal papers in order to receive high marks. It really depends on how complex they want your answer to be. In lower years, an answer with less further reading is acceptable.

i am in first year
yeah i just dont know how much i need to link to other lectures i could keep writing aha
maybe for every point i could link to another topic/ lecture so it might help limit how much im writing
thanks

Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Hi I must first admit that BSc Biology is one degree I have not actually done, so my answer has to be generic - from my degrees in pharmacology and medicine, I would be inclined to broadly agree with "Hot Cross Bun" above in that yes oc, any relevant information from other parts of the syllabus would gain marks - I believe that the way university exam papers are marked is quite different to e.g. A level exams in that info derived from outside "lecture material"/syllabuses is or at least should be looked upon as admirable.

With ref to your e.g. of epithelial cells:-
I would include material taught in your tissues/cells [histology/cytology] lectures e.g. your general knowledge about squamous, columnar, cuboidal epithelia,

AS WELL AS:

stuff you learnt when reading about anatomy/physiology of individual organs/systems e.g. if you learnt about the eye, skin and the urinary bladder specifically, you could mention the similarity of the presence of pigments in the skin and in the RPE but the difference of melanin vs lipofuscin; collagen is found in various cells BUT [difference] Type VII collagen fibrils bind the basal layer cells of the corneal epithelium to its basement membrane WHEREAS e.g. collagen I and III are found in skin {epidermis] [Gray's Anatomy 41st Ed p38]. You could compare the transitional epithelium of the bladder that allows stretching for urine storage with the oblique layers in the stomach that permit churning of food by rugae OR the microvilli-laden intestinal epithelium to increase surface area for absorption and the microvilli in the proximal tubule cells of the nephron.

I would recommend citing numerous instances and examples from various parts of the body/different organisms [BUT NOT to go into extreme detail on individual items] for maximum marks.

Good luck & be safe!
M

yes! thank you i had a similar ideas for linking to different systems eg kidney filtration/ reproductive organs
i am not doing a biology degree either (i am studying pharmacy) so one of my modules is quite heavy on biology so i was unsure how much detail i need to go into

sometimes i do fall into describing the little detail of every function but i think i need to focus holistically and compare instead of describing processes

thanks, i might redo some of my questions i think i have been approaching them wrong :redface:
i am in first year
yeah i just dont know how much i need to link to other lectures i could keep writing aha
maybe for every point i could link to another topic/ lecture so it might help limit how much im writing
thanks

Generally, you want to go into the same depth of detail that your lectures go into. What I’d do is cover the basics using the lecture related to epithelial cells, see how much words you have, and if you have room you can link to other lectures? Hopefully that’s helpful. I don’t study pharmacy I study physiology so sorry if I’m a bit off topic.
Original post by bunbunbun
Generally, you want to go into the same depth of detail that your lectures go into. What I’d do is cover the basics using the lecture related to epithelial cells, see how much words you have, and if you have room you can link to other lectures? Hopefully that’s helpful. I don’t study pharmacy I study physiology so sorry if I’m a bit off topic.

No it’s helpful thank you!
When I just use the lecture it’s around 300, but I’m not writing in full sentences it’s just the skeleton with shorthand notes
I’m sure if I link to some extra wider reading it might push it to 500 and during the exam when I’m writing in full sentences it’ll be pushed up higher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending