The Student Room Group

who do I complain to, if I am experiencing an unstable student wifi connection?

currently living in private student accommodation, recently I have been experiencing unstable wifi connection to the point where it has affected my online meetings, gaming, streaming and many more. Also, I am worried that it might affect my online exams. so, who do I complain to about the unstable student wifi internet connection?
As far as I am concerned, in my room, there are no wifi routers and I am using wifi called Glide?
Original post by Anonymous
currently living in private student accommodation...

If you're living in private accommodation, presumably the WiFi (and broadband connection itself) is provided by your landlord. Agreed? So it is with your landlord that you should raise the issue.

He/she is unlikely to be in a position to do anything about it, however. They will likely blame the internet provider, which you identify as Glide.

Is there a good connection elsewhere in the accommodation, or is it bad everywhere? If it's generally good, but your room just happens to be in a dead spot, connectivity-wise, then I can recommend using a Powerline adapter like the TP-LINK AV600.

If the connection is bad everywhere (and with multiple devices, not just the one you normally use) then ask your landlord to raise the issue with the internet provider - or to provide you with the account details such that you can raise the issue with them yourself.

Finally, Glide have a trouble-shooting guide at https://my.glideresidential.co.uk/support/article/intermittent-wi-fi.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Is there a good connection elsewhere in the accommodation, or is it bad everywhere? If it's generally good, but your room just happens to be in a dead spot, connectivity-wise, then I can recommend using a Powerline adapter like the TP-LINK AV600.

At this point I think we'd need to know the scale of the accommodation -- whether it's simply a shared house, or whether it's essentially a hall of residence with 50+ residents.

In a shared house where it's possible to connect to a wired ethernet port, then powerline network might help -- though there would still need a wifi connection at the other end.

In a managed hall of residence environment, powerline is almost certainly not going to work -- plus the landlord and/or ISP are going to very unhappy if people start fiddling around with the infrastructure.
Original post by martin7
At this point I think we'd need to know the scale of the accommodation -- whether it's simply a shared house, or whether it's essentially a hall of residence with 50+ residents.

Fair point. I'd assume it was essentially just a shared house based upon the "private student accommodation" description, but I guess it could be something larger.

Original post by martin7
In a shared house where it's possible to connect to a wired ethernet port, then powerline network might help -- though there would still need a wifi connection at the other end.

Not necessarily. I have a Powerline adapter connected to an ethernet port on the router, and another Powerline adapter connected to the ethernet port on my laptop - no WiFi involved. (The adapter which is wired-up to my laptop is also a WiFi repeater, so other devices nearby which don't have an ethernet port can get a connection that way.)

Original post by martin7
In a managed hall of residence environment, powerline is almost certainly not going to work -- plus the landlord and/or ISP are going to very unhappy if people start fiddling around with the infrastructure.

I would be disappointed in the landlord considered plugging in a couple of Powerline adapters "fiddling around with the infrastructure" - but I guess he/she might.
Original post by martin7

currently living in private student accommodation, recently I have been experiencing unstable wifi connection to the point where it has affected my online meetings, gaming, streaming and many more. Also, I am worried that it might affect my online exams. so, who do I complain to about the unstable student wifi internet connection?
As far as I am concerned, in my room, there are no wifi routers and I am using wifi called Glide?

I live in a student accommodation outside of campus, and it is just my room that I am experiencing wifi problems. there no wifi router in my room and i am not sure where the wifi router is.
lol true
Original post by martin7

it's not the shared house that I am living in. Also, I agree with ur point.

Hi,

I would raise this issue to the reception/maintenance or landlord where possible. Hopefully, it is a resolvable issue!

Alternatively, have you tried an ethernet cable? They tend to be more stable :smile:

All the best,
Sara
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest