Racism in workplace

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've received some racist comment by a colleague in my company, to them it was a joke and they apologised to me straight away.

I get on really well with them and they've really helped me too.

It now feels like a stain in my mind and I want it to go away. I'm really shocked and disappointed what happend.

I'm kind glad they realised what they had said was wrong and they apologised.

But it still hurts

I asked my family for advice and they weren't sure what to do. I guess they were shocked too

Any advice?

I'm not sure if I want it to go any further in the company cos I don't want it to destroy our friendship
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Really depends on the context of the comment and the relationship between you tbh.

A bit of ribbing about stereotypes between good friends might not be harmful. But if your colleague apologised immediately it would suggest they thought they had overstepped the mark.

You might want to mention it to the colleague just to let them know hat their apology was welcome as the comment made you uncomfortable, but that you just want to draw a line under it.
stickylikehoney
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
If you are very upset, y

(Original post by Anonymous)
I've received some racist comment by a colleague in my company, to them it was a joke and they apologised to me straight away.

I get on really well with them and they've really helped me too.

It now feels like a stain in my mind and I want it to go away. I'm really shocked and disappointed what happend.

I'm kind glad they realised what they had said was wrong and they apologised.

But it still hurts

I asked my family for advice and they weren't sure what to do. I guess they were shocked too

Any advice?

I'm not sure if I want it to go any further in the company cos I don't want it to destroy our friendship
If you are still upset about it, then you could speak to them privately I suppose and say you still feel shocked
if they apologised and to them it was a joke, you could ask them if they proper understand it wasn't correct and they shouldn't do it again
Everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance.
Unless they have done anything else to make you think they are outright racist, I would say forgive them and move on.
(I'm a person of colour too) TBH I think if I were you, I would forgive their apology
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't understand why people believe racism is a joke. I would immediately unfriend that person, because they knew it was wrong (seeing as they apologised immediately) and they wouldn't be sorry if you found it funny. I've dealt with too many people justifying racist comments because they 'don't believe they are better than other races'. Currently speaking as a POC.
stickylikehoney
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SagaciousSag)
I don't understand why people believe racism is a joke. I would immediately unfriend that person, because they knew it was wrong (seeing as they apologised immediately) and they wouldn't be sorry if you found it funny. I've dealt with too many people justifying racist comments because they 'don't believe they are better than other races'. Currently speaking as a POC.
everyone makes mistakes and people deserve second chances
I would forgive, I believe in forgiveness
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (7)
33.33%
As I expected (3)
14.29%
Harder (10)
47.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.76%

Watched Threads