The Student Room Group

Last minute dissertation help!

My dissertation is due Sunday at midnight so I don’t have much time to get help from uni lecturers but I was just wondering how to display my data in the results section. I have a two way table and a bar chart - should I put them in next to each other or separate with paragraphs? Is there any other way I can present my data also? And does the results section basically mean to talk about the data and what the table/graphs show?
Hi!

The majority of dissertations that I've seen and read of friends, they've displayed their results separately with a brief paragraph to explain. The paragraph should just be a brief explanation of what the data shows, ie key points, any anomalies.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

The majority of dissertations that I've seen and read of friends, they've displayed their results separately with a brief paragraph to explain. The paragraph should just be a brief explanation of what the data shows, ie key points, any anomalies.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hello thanks for your reply :smile:

If I talk about the data in the table then include the table then talk more about the data then include the graph then talk about statistical tests will this be enough? Or is there more I need to do alongside a two-way table and a bar chart? PS how do you determine what an anomaly is?
You need to carry out some statistical analysis - t-test, Chi-square, Anova, Regression etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mike23mike
You need to carry out some statistical analysis - t-test, Chi-square, Anova, Regression etc.

Hi can I ask what test do you think is right for two lots of categorical data? I have groups of duration in mins 0-3, 3-6, 6-9 and 9+ alongside severity of disease in none, mild, moderate, severe in a two-way table. Can I do chi-squared? Or can I use my durations ungrouped eg 1 minute with severity of 3 and so on and do the ANOVA test?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi can I ask what test do you think is right for two lots of categorical data? I have groups of duration in mins 0-3, 3-6, 6-9 and 9+ alongside severity of disease in none, mild, moderate, severe in a two-way table. Can I do chi-squared? Or can I use my durations ungrouped eg 1 minute with severity of 3 and so on and do the ANOVA test?

Hard to comment with the little info you have provided. You should have discussed how to analyse the data with your supervisor prior to collecting the raw data. The test you choose to use is there to prove/disprove your hypothesis. So, what is it you are trying to prove?

Have a read of this
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hello thanks for your reply :smile:

If I talk about the data in the table then include the table then talk more about the data then include the graph then talk about statistical tests will this be enough? Or is there more I need to do alongside a two-way table and a bar chart? PS how do you determine what an anomaly is?

Hi!

This should be enough. I know you said it might be too late to contact your tutor, but with a small question like this, I would just to double check.
An anomaly is just a piece of data that have deviated from the standard results or expectations. You might not even have anomaly, which is great.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest