The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Would I be crazy to turn down a place at St Andrews uni for Warwick?

Okay so i'm having a really difficult time trying to decide between St Andrews and Warwick.
I've had unconditional offers from both but cant really seem to settle on one.
I have visited both unis and done lots of research. I have actually been to uni before (Edinburgh) but I am starting again after a disastrous first year.
I know what uni life is like in big city, and i'm from a small village so I know what a quieter life is like too, so those differences don't worry me.
The only thing that worries me is that St Andrews is even further away from my parents house, and I am worried that it could be an issue. Apart from that I see no other problems with St Andrews other than possibly elitism from some students ? (which worries me slightly as I went to state school and come from a modest economic background).
Warwick also doesnt have many negatives for me, other than its maybe not as prestigious as St Andrews but it is a target uni for big employers which is an advantage.

Does anyone have any insight into this matter as I'm going mad trying to make a decision and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. If I go for the safe option of staying closer to home (ie Warwick) I would be turning down St Andrews- would I be crazy for doing this as it is a highly sought after uni??
Presumably the warwick course is also a year shorter (or the same length for an undergraduate masters).

If you prefer Warwick and think you are more likely to thrive there then it’s the best university for you.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Just because a university has a good reputation that doesn't mean it's a good fit. If Warwick feels better then go for Warwick. You're unlikely to regret going to a uni that feels right for you. Choosing to spend four years studying somewhere that's not where your heart lies will definitely feel like a slog. Prestige is an added bonus, not the be-all-end-all.
Why not, for some subject areas Warwick will be stronger anyway. I think most people would pick Warwick maths over St Andrews for example...

Also as noted Warwick is a target for investment banks and management consultancy roles, if that's of interest to you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so i'm having a really difficult time trying to decide between St Andrews and Warwick.
I've had unconditional offers from both but cant really seem to settle on one.
I have visited both unis and done lots of research. I have actually been to uni before (Edinburgh) but I am starting again after a disastrous first year.
I know what uni life is like in big city, and i'm from a small village so I know what a quieter life is like too, so those differences don't worry me.
The only thing that worries me is that St Andrews is even further away from my parents house, and I am worried that it could be an issue. Apart from that I see no other problems with St Andrews other than possibly elitism from some students ? (which worries me slightly as I went to state school and come from a modest economic background).
Warwick also doesnt have many negatives for me, other than its maybe not as prestigious as St Andrews but it is a target uni for big employers which is an advantage.

Does anyone have any insight into this matter as I'm going mad trying to make a decision and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. If I go for the safe option of staying closer to home (ie Warwick) I would be turning down St Andrews- would I be crazy for doing this as it is a highly sought after uni??

You'd be crazy not tto choose the uni/course best suited to you. Prestige doesnt mean anything against a better learning experiance whicb may result in better grades. And overall a better time at uni:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending