The Student Room Group

Entering the tech sector with a BSc in Economics from LSE

Hi, I have just received an offer for Economics at LSE. I am not that interested in being an economist or working in IB. I've recently become interested in working in the tech industry (though I'm not 100% on this). I was just wondering if breaking into the tech industry from a very quantitative economics degree was possible and if so how? I have listed the modules I am planning to take and if anyone has any advice about which outside optional modules I should take, that would be great.

I enjoy Economics (I applied for economics in 2 UCAS cycles) and though I am interested in computer science, I don't have any offers to study it and I dont think I can handle another gap year just to apply to study computer science as this current gap year I am on, was awful.

I am interested in many careers in tech, eg software development etc and any advice would be appreciated!

First year:
Economics (0.5)
Microeconomics I (0.5)
Macroeconomics I (0.5)
Mathematical Methods (1.0)
Elementary Statistical Theory (0.5)
Econometrics (0.5)
0.5 units of outside options:
Programming for Data Science (0.5)
43.75% Maths, 43.75% Economics, 12.5% CS

Second year:
Microeconomics II (1.0)
Macroeconomics II (1.0)
Econometrics II (1.0)
1.0 unit of outside options:
Algorithms and Data Structures (0.5)
Artificial Intelegence or Machine Learning (0.5)
50% Economics, 25% Maths, 25% CS

Third year:
3 optional modules in economics to (3.0 units)
Further mathematical methods (1.0)
25% Maths, 75% Economics
Although you say that you don't want to working in Investment Banking, that's probably the best way to segue into technology/computing generally (especially software development). Quantitative Developers (or Quant Devs) in investment banks design and implement some very complicated models to price and/or risk financial instruments. That's software development.

So one option would be to do as many IT-related modules as you can (like the algorithms, data structures, AI, etc. modules you mention above) as part of your degree, and then join an investment bank as a quant dev. Once you've gained some experience developing there, use that experience to step into another development role outside of investment banking.

(If the modules don't cover too much raw programming, and it's mostly theoretical, it'd be worth learning a language like C++ or Python in your spare time to help secure the quant dev role.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Although you say that you don't want to working in Investment Banking, that's probably the best way to segue into technology/computing generally (especially software development). Quantitative Developers (or Quant Devs) in investment banks design and implement some very complicated models to price and/or risk financial instruments. That's software development.

So one option would be to do as many IT-related modules as you can (like the algorithms, data structures, AI, etc. modules you mention above) as part of your degree, and then join an investment bank as a quant dev. Once you've gained some experience developing there, use that experience to step into another development role outside of investment banking.

(If the modules don't cover too much raw programming, and it's mostly theoretical, it'd be worth learning a language like C++ or Python in your spare time to help secure the quant dev role.)

Thank you for the reply, yes sorry when I said 'IB' I meant an investment banking role, eg M&A, in a finance firm. Definitely, that makes sense I will learn Python in my spare time as I have some experience with the language already. I am certain every outside module I will be taking will be IT-related. Could you look at the outside options and suggest some IT-related modules I should take as a must, specifically for software engineering? I am certain I will be taking AI and machine learning as these topics are one of my main interests in IT.

Here is the link to the outside option page:
https://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar2021-2022/programmeRegulations/undergraduate/2021/BScEconomics.htm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending