The Student Room Group

Sociology essay markers?

I have some essays I wrote I’m doing sociology A level. Is there anyone who can help me by marking them and giving me a rough grade? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by n.2112
I have some essays I wrote I’m doing sociology A level. Is there anyone who can help me by marking them and giving me a rough grade? Thank you

sure!
Reply 2
Original post by rimaxtt
sure!

Omg thank you so much
Reply 3
Original post by rimaxtt
sure!

Outline and explain two arguments in favour that childhood is socially constructed
One way in which supports the claim of childhood being socially constructed is through the idea that society thinks* there should be separation between childhood and adulthood. This is done through laws that have been created preventing children from doing certain things which adults are allowed to do, keeping children separate from adults. For example, minimum age laws being placed on certain things such as sex and smoking.* Due to the Protection child act in 1889* the compulsory age to stay in education increased to 18. This causes children to be economically dependent on their parents increasing their childhood as they aren't able to be independent as they are getting educated in school . Aries suggests that the 'idea of childhood' is related to creating a specific nature of childhood, which allows the division between children and adults to take place. On the other hand Postman suggests that children are losing their innocence due to mass media. As they are able to access the same information as adults in the click of a button.
Another way is through how other cultures and counties childhoods varies to others. Some cultures believe that children are a burden and a hazard to society so they are casted out to fend for themselves. This results in children becoming soldiers would signifies that they would be taking on responsibilities that would typically be assigned for adults in 'western' societies. In countries such as Ethiopia and India some teenage girls are forced to marry, this would mostly be the case with working class families as they would be in poverty or living on a low salary. The girls would take on the role of the wife or mother at such a young age. Aries believed that childhood did not exist and that children were viewed as 'tiny adults' however her view could be criticised as their childhood did exists they just had a different notion of childhood compared to ours.
Reply 4
Original post by rimaxtt
sure!

Outline and explain two arguments in favour that childhood is socially constructed
One way in which supports the claim of childhood being socially constructed is through the idea that society thinks* there should be separation between childhood and adulthood. This is done through laws that have been created preventing children from doing certain things which adults are allowed to do, keeping children separate from adults. For example, minimum age laws being placed on certain things such as sex and smoking.* Due to the Protection child act in 1889* the compulsory age to stay in education increased to 18. This causes children to be economically dependent on their parents increasing their childhood as they aren't able to be independent as they are getting educated in school . Aries suggests that the 'idea of childhood' is related to creating a specific nature of childhood, which allows the division between children and adults to take place. On the other hand Postman suggests that children are losing their innocence due to mass media. As they are able to access the same information as adults in the click of a button.
Another way is through how other cultures and counties childhoods varies to others. Some cultures believe that children are a burden and a hazard to society so they are casted out to fend for themselves. This results in children becoming soldiers would signifies that they would be taking on responsibilities that would typically be assigned for adults in 'western' societies. In countries such as Ethiopia and India some teenage girls are forced to marry, this would mostly be the case with working class families as they would be in poverty or living on a low salary. The girls would take on the role of the wife or mother at such a young age. Aries believed that childhood did not exist and that children were viewed as 'tiny adults' however her view could be criticised as their childhood did exists they just had a different notion of childhood compared to ours.
Reply 5
Original post by n.2112

i'd say this is ranging a 7/8 marks answer. you included sociologist perspectives, included a legislation and explained well. id say to link back to the question more like therefore this is in favour that childhood is socially constructed, bc thats what invigilators love to see. well done though!
Reply 6
Original post by rimaxtt
i'd say this is ranging a 7/8 marks answer. you included sociologist perspectives, included a legislation and explained well. id say to link back to the question more like therefore this is in favour that childhood is socially constructed, bc thats what invigilators love to see. well done though!

Thank you!! I have a couple others do you mind reading and marking them ?

Quick Reply

Latest