Having trouble with how stuff is weighed !

Watch this thread
sazif62
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone!

So I'm studying Politics and International Relations at Kingston (undergrad) and absolutely need a 1:1 to do my Masters at Oxford which has always been a dream of mine. I just don't know if I'm on track.

So I believe that in terms of weight by year its:
1st year = 0%
2nd year = 20%
3rd year = 80%

I have gotten low and mid 1:1s for all the essays I have submitted this year except for one which was a high 2:1. I have 2 more essays to submit and one exam left on the 9th of May. I am horrific at exams but this module was compulsory this year - no exams next year, thank God. But I was wondering if I took it easy on the exam, maybe pass or get a 2:2 or something, will this affect my overall chance of getting a 1:1 in my degree? The exam is 50% of the module which is a 60 credit module (we have to do 120 credits every year).

I also would like to know how the overall degree is graded and how much my dissertation would weigh in 3rd year? I have been trying to find it on the Kingston uni website but have been unsuccessful. The thought of writing a 10,000 word essay is very scary and have been dreading it these last 2 years, so I want to know if I don't do as well, can I redeem myself in other modules/assignments?

Thanks for any help
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
It's not really possible to answer this with any certainty without knowing all your specific module results and what this bogey module grade might be.

Yes, it might affect your final classification, but some unis allow you to discard one or more modules from their calculation. If you are consistently above a 1st then yes, it's possible you would still come out with one overall.
sazif62
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
It's not really possible to answer this with any certainty without knowing all your specific module results and what this bogey module grade might be.

Yes, it might affect your final classification, but some unis allow you to discard one or more modules from their calculation. If you are consistently above a 1st then yes, it's possible you would still come out with one overall.
Here they are:

Slavery and Emancipation Module
Essay weighted 70% - Grade: 75%
Essay weighted 30% - Grade: 85%

Securing Human Rights Module
Essay weighted 25% - Grade: 82%
Essay weighted 25% - Grade - 80%
Essay weighted 50% - Yet to be graded

Modern Political Thought Module
Essay weighted 40% - Grade: 73%
Exam weighted 60% - Not yet taken

International Relations Module
Essay weighted 40% - Grade: 64%
Essay weighted 30% - Yet to be graded
Essay weighted 30% - Grade: 72%

Culture and Harm in Digital Age Module:
Essay weighted 50% - Grade: 75%

But this all counts for 20% of my final grade.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sazif62)
Here they are:

Slavery and Emancipation Module
Essay weighted 70% - Grade: 75%
Essay weighted 30% - Grade: 85%

Securing Human Rights Module
Essay weighted 25% - Grade: 82%
Essay weighted 25% - Grade - 80%

Modern Political Thought Module
Essay weighted 40% - Grade: 73%
Exam weighted 60% - Not yet taken

International Relations Module
Essay weighted 40% - Grade: 64%
Essay weighted 30% - Yet to be graded
Essay weighted 30% - Grade: 72%

Culture and Harm in Digital Age Module:
Essay weighted 50% - Grade: 75%

But this all counts for 20% of my final grade.
Not really possible to be accurate given the pending grades, but unless you utterly bin the one you're worried about, it looks like a comfortable 1st in year 2.

Not sure how comforting that is though, as so much of your classification is weighted towards year 3.

The short answer to your Q is yes, you can absolutely still achieve a first overall.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
bump
I agree with what the above user said
sazif62
Rep:
bump
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
bump
There's nothing else to tell you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (48)
31.17%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (67)
43.51%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (38)
24.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.65%

Watched Threads