The Student Room Group

Insurance and new car

Currently, I own a chevrolet with a black box, and I'm looking for a new car. First what are cheap cars to insure and second because I haven't had the black box for a year (got it in August 2021) how would this affect a new insurance with a new car?

Thank you
Reply 1
VW Up; VW Polo; Skoda Fabia; Skoda Citygo; Peugeot 107; Ford Fiesta

The black box is likely to incur costs of taking it out of your Chevrolet if you cancel your insurance, and decide to start again with a different insurer. It would still cost you a premium to take it out and have it reinstalled with your new car even if you stayed with your current insurer. Check out the premium versus the costs of black box removal.

QUOTES Get a wide variety of quotes, use the 3 main search engines. All insurers share all the information you submit on a common database - so beware of the data you give (job titles, claims, points etc) but then also get extra quotes from insurers or brokers directly: Marmalade; Adrian Flux; Direct Line; NFU; Union related Insurers; Aviva; RSA - Be aware that if you do search engines at strange times near to midnight at the end of the week (not over) that some insurers will reduce their premiums to get extra business. I'm not sure if the same applies to the end of the month? Some very bad ones give a very cheap quote to 'hook' you in but then if you need to contact them they saddle the extras on in phone conversations and before you know it, its a big premium. Check out car recovery premiums as a stand alone, legal aid if you think you will need it (check your house insurance policy) Try and be a named driver or get another couple of well experienced, low risk drivers to share the car use with you. NEVER lie and say these low risk drivers named drivers are the main users. It can all go wrong so very quickly if you do that just to get cheap insurance - if you break someone's neck/back and its your fault they will pay the victim up to many millions but then sue you personally for the rest of your life if you have lied just to get insurance (plus unlikely to get insurance ever again) This is crucially important. be open and be honest - the Insurance company assess you as a risk.

COSTS - Look carefully at the termination costs ie cancellation costs; black box removal costs; voluntary excess; Mid term admin fees, charges for telephone number change, address change, occupation change etc etc Can be as much as £40 to £50 each time (unlimited)

If you feel you have an old car of a very cheap value, are unlikely to change any information mid term just go for the cheapest Gibraltar based insurance you can find. You are only interested in getting to 1 year No Claims Discount and 1 Year claim free
(no endorsement ) driving. get extra training

Pass plus can be easily £200 to £300 and does not necessarily reduce your insurance premium by anywhere near that amount.

Hell fire - the more gadgets & IT we demand for our cars the more it will cost in insurance to repair & replace (reversing sensors, headlight levelling, lateral headlight turning, heated elements in door mirrors, Nav systems, lane deviation sensors, crash sensors, low speed auto brake sensors) ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Bring back basic cost vehicles?

Good luck out there. Drive safely.
Original post by Muttly
VW Up; VW Polo; Skoda Fabia; Skoda Citygo; Peugeot 107; Ford Fiesta

The black box is likely to incur costs of taking it out of your Chevrolet if you cancel your insurance, and decide to start again with a different insurer. It would still cost you a premium to take it out and have it reinstalled with your new car even if you stayed with your current insurer. Check out the premium versus the costs of black box removal.

QUOTES Get a wide variety of quotes, use the 3 main search engines. All insurers share all the information you submit on a common database - so beware of the data you give (job titles, claims, points etc) but then also get extra quotes from insurers or brokers directly: Marmalade; Adrian Flux; Direct Line; NFU; Union related Insurers; Aviva; RSA - Be aware that if you do search engines at strange times near to midnight at the end of the week (not over) that some insurers will reduce their premiums to get extra business. I'm not sure if the same applies to the end of the month? Some very bad ones give a very cheap quote to 'hook' you in but then if you need to contact them they saddle the extras on in phone conversations and before you know it, its a big premium. Check out car recovery premiums as a stand alone, legal aid if you think you will need it (check your house insurance policy) Try and be a named driver or get another couple of well experienced, low risk drivers to share the car use with you. NEVER lie and say these low risk drivers named drivers are the main users. It can all go wrong so very quickly if you do that just to get cheap insurance - if you break someone's neck/back and its your fault they will pay the victim up to many millions but then sue you personally for the rest of your life if you have lied just to get insurance (plus unlikely to get insurance ever again) This is crucially important. be open and be honest - the Insurance company assess you as a risk.

COSTS - Look carefully at the termination costs ie cancellation costs; black box removal costs; voluntary excess; Mid term admin fees, charges for telephone number change, address change, occupation change etc etc Can be as much as £40 to £50 each time (unlimited)

If you feel you have an old car of a very cheap value, are unlikely to change any information mid term just go for the cheapest Gibraltar based insurance you can find. You are only interested in getting to 1 year No Claims Discount and 1 Year claim free
(no endorsement ) driving. get extra training

Pass plus can be easily £200 to £300 and does not necessarily reduce your insurance premium by anywhere near that amount.

Hell fire - the more gadgets & IT we demand for our cars the more it will cost in insurance to repair & replace (reversing sensors, headlight levelling, lateral headlight turning, heated elements in door mirrors, Nav systems, lane deviation sensors, crash sensors, low speed auto brake sensors) ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Bring back basic cost vehicles?

Good luck out there. Drive safely.

Thank you! I will be putting my name as a main driver, and my dad additional, because it literally is my car. Yeah, I think I'm considering to remove my black box, when I get a new car, and I thought they would judge my driving from that, and *possibly* lower the cost, but I'm not sure how it will go.

Thanks for the suggestion, been putting random cars in to check insurance and honestly they are all £2000, and I'm not sure if it is worth waiting until I've had my licence for a year (got it in June), as well as turning 20, to see if that factors in lower insurance?
Could you not wait until august when the policy is up? That way you would presumably get your first years no claims bonus, which should bring your insurance down.

If you cancel your policy now you are starting fresh with insurance so it would be a high amount again.
Original post by sleepingsunshine
Could you not wait until august when the policy is up? That way you would presumably get your first years no claims bonus, which should bring your insurance down.

If you cancel your policy now you are starting fresh with insurance so it would be a high amount again.

Thank you, I've just learnt about no claims bonus just now haha. :smile:
Original post by sleepingsunshine

Thats what i thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending