Staying at home vs. moving out Watch

This discussion is closed.
Chris87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I haven't received my last offer yet but it looks like I'll be going to City University to do Software Engineering. I don't live too far away from there (could probably get there in 45 minutes - 1 hour by train) but I'm not sure if I should apply for accommodation or not. I suppose I could easily live at home and save a lot of money on accommodation and that sort of thing but I know there's advantages to moving into the halls as well. I'm finding it really hard to decide what to do. Anyone got any experiences or advice they would like to share?
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It all depends on what you want out of uni life. I have a friend who lives at home and she has settled in fine she has as many friends as most people. Living at home is good if you don't want to be going out clubbing every night and has the benefit that you won't be kept up all night by annoying flat mates. However living on campus you learn where the parties are more easily and get to meet a lot more people on your course.
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My friend has stayed home over moving into halls.
He sometimes regrets it, as he isn't close to the city and so has to travel a lot, and he isn't close enough to anyone to just drop in. It would be 1 or 2 bus journeys, of at least 45 minutes.
Although he doesn't live with his parents and so has had freedom and independance already, he doesn't have to be in at any time etc. He really enjoys living where he is now, it a good situation.

As above it would depend on the type of experience you want. I know my friend does like to have time alone to ponder. If you have trouble being social I would say jump in the deep end and move to halls. If you tend to make friends really easily and are happy traveling then it's a matter of evaluating your situation at home. Would your parents be ok with a uni lifestyle? Would you be able to do enough work without the stress parents around getting to you?
I'd also take into consideration the costs of commuting. Are you really going to be saving that much money?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads