The Student Room Group

English literature

Guys I'm considering getting the English lit text guides (Romeo and Juliet, a Christmas carol, and lord of the flies) and I'm just wondering is it worth paying for and will it help me and does it help you to understand the plot?
Original post by Jaiden grant
Guys I'm considering getting the English lit text guides (Romeo and Juliet, a Christmas carol, and lord of the flies) and I'm just wondering is it worth paying for and will it help me and does it help you to understand the plot?

honestly i feel like it depends on the person. they are good and concise but a quick yt search would give you the same result. all the themes, quotes, summaries can be found online too. they are nice if you want a paper version though.
Reply 2
I've currently got the CGP text guides for Romeo and Juliet and lord of the flies, I find the exam help pages at the back to be really helpful and throughout the book, there are things like exam tips, themes and grade 8-9 ideas highlighted. However, when it comes to understanding the plot the text guides do help but just rereading the texts is the best way of getting the plot in your head. I know that sounds super boring but if it helps listen to audiobooks and for Romeo and Juliet watch the play. I am thinking of getting the workbooks so if you get those let me know if they are any help!

Quick Reply