The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

is withdrawing from lse to go to southampton uni crazy??

i have an offer from LSE to study this september. i also have offers from kings and bristol. i live in sussex and want to live near home - by process of elimination i applied to mainly london unis as these are the highest ranking close to me. i really like london as a place, but the more i hear about it the more i think it’s probs not the best place to be a student. i fell in love with the course at lse and the campus, plus love london as a whole but i’m worried about the intensity and where i would live 2nd and 3rd year. i always hear people say how amazing LSE is for careers and how i should appreciate my place, but i don’t want to go anywhere near finance / law (i likely want to work in a charity doing policy) so i don’t even know if it would make a difference for me.

i have been looking at other options recently, and realised southampton uni may be a fantastic fit. it is equidistant to london for me really (1hr 20 vs 1 hour for london), has a campus but isn’t too far from city centre, good transport links and still is a fairly esteemed uni. i haven’t actually visited yet, so maybe i won’t like it as much if i go, but everyone i speak to seems to really like it. however, i’m already on a gap year so i don’t want to take another to reapply. so i would either have to withdraw and use ucas extra (haven’t firmed yet), or use clearing. i’m worried about losing the good places i have and being rejected from southampton and being left with nowhere. i also am fairly quiet due to having medical issues as a teenager, and have quite specific requirements for accomodation which i’m worried i won’t be able to get if i go into clearing. the only other issue is that if i have more health issues / don’t like living at uni i think it would be trickier to commute, whereas i think it would be slightly easier at LSE as it is closer and i believe it has less contact hours. does anyone have any advice or been in a similar situation. i’m so confused!!
You say that you love the course at LSE - that to me alone says you should (and want to!) go to LSE.

Also LSE is good preparation for careers outside of finance and law - a lot of journalists and policy analysts at NGOs studied at LSE at one point or another.

Something else to consider is Southampton will be further than your commute expectation because neither of the train stations are that close to the campus - it will always be at least a 15-25 minute bus ride, and the buses only go every so often (as opposed to the tube in London which is faster and goes every few minutes). So bear that in mind.Also LSE is good preparation for careers outside of finance and law - a lot of journalists and policy analysts at NGOs studied at LSE at one point or another.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by artful_lounger
You say that you love the course at LSE - that to me alone says you should (and want to!) go to LSE.

Also LSE is good preparation for careers outside of finance and law - a lot of journalists and policy analysts at NGOs studied at LSE at one point or another.

Something else to consider is Southampton will be further than your commute expectation because neither of the train stations are that close to the campus - it will always be at least a 15-25 minute bus ride, and the buses only go every so often (as opposed to the tube in London which is faster and goes every few minutes). So bear that in mind.Also LSE is good preparation for careers outside of finance and law - a lot of journalists and policy analysts at NGOs studied at LSE at one point or another.

i like the course too at southampton!! i was drawn to LSE being the ‘cutting edge’ for my subject, but southampton has similar modules, only difference is i think it’s less intense. thanks though - very good to know about the buses!! it’s so tricky - i have A*A*A, so i think the issue is i feel the pressure to go to a ‘top’ uni and don’t want to sell myself short, but i want to not feel continuously stressed at uni to the point where i lose interest in my subject :smile:
It's not true that everyone at LSE is super stressed and burnt out! I've got friends who are really happy there, and have time for a social life alongside their academics.
Lse is goated u must go purrrr
Original post by Anonymous
i like the course too at southampton!! i was drawn to LSE being the ‘cutting edge’ for my subject, but southampton has similar modules, only difference is i think it’s less intense. thanks though - very good to know about the buses!! it’s so tricky - i have A*A*A, so i think the issue is i feel the pressure to go to a ‘top’ uni and don’t want to sell myself short, but i want to not feel continuously stressed at uni to the point where i lose interest in my subject :smile:

As above, not everyone will be experiencing that - and with good planning and support systems in place, you can avoid and/or mitigate the worst of it as well. Besides which, all degrees will be like that to a point!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply