anxiety about climate crisis

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i've been reading a lot about climate change on the news and by scientists about how we have 3 years left to stop it and how the earth will be inhabitable by 2050 and it's really stressing me out. i want a family and kids in the future but this has all made that prospect seem pretty bleak. i've done everything i can to be more eco-friendly but it hurts knowing that unless the big oil and fossil fuel corporations do anything, nothing will change- it makes me feel hopeless and worried for the future.
rad_hari
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i've been reading a lot about climate change on the news and by scientists about how we have 3 years left to stop it and how the earth will be inhabitable by 2050 and it's really stressing me out. i want a family and kids in the future but this has all made that prospect seem pretty bleak. i've done everything i can to be more eco-friendly but it hurts knowing that unless the big oil and fossil fuel corporations do anything, nothing will change- it makes me feel hopeless and worried for the future.
Learn to separate hyperbole from facts. Earth becoming uninhabitable is definitely hyperbole. Will it be more difficult to live? Sure. Understand that climate activists sometimes resort to exaggeration to get governments to act. You must look at the science, which has never said that the earth would become uninhabitable anytime soon.
Last edited by rad_hari; 3 months ago
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
There is basically absolutely nothing you can do, as an individual to prevent climate change so there’s no point worrying about it. If we all drown in a massive flood or burn to death because our leaders don’t take action then that is their fault not yours.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The only people likely to die from the impacts of climate change live in the third world. Here in the developed world there is absolutely no science that suggests death.

These kinds of worries are what happens the media narrative is allowed to operate without context.
lololemons
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
“Climate scientists” have been issuing the same dramatic predictions since at least the 60s. As much as the media would like you to think, there actually isn’t consensus among scientists on the origins and permanence of climate change. We don’t know the degree to which this is manmade or just part of the world’s natural cycles. Go on and live your life and don’t waste time listening to harpies like Greta Thunberg. Too often they’re either acting on bad interpretations of data or they’re driving some ulterior motive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
23.53%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (11)
32.35%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
8.82%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
17.65%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
5.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
5.88%

Watched Threads