The Student Room Group

Applying to history and economics at oxford

I do English literature, history and economics at A-level but I am aware that Oxford recommend mathematics to be able to do a history and econ degree and a lot of people say that it is almost a requirement.
I really want to do history and econ, and other unis do not require maths but I also really want to apply to oxford.
Would i be able to apply for history at oxford and then history and economics everywhere else? Or will this ruin my chances?
If i were to apply to history and econ at oxford, what are my chances of getting in?
I am not great at maths (i got an 8 at GCSE) but i can manage if I work hard. I am slightly worried about doing the TSA if i did apply to oxford though.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Reply 1
Bluntly, your chances would unfortunately not be very good. I can’t find the stats for H&E, but about 90% of successful PPE applicants have A level maths, and I would imagine it would actually be even higher for H&E; PPE lets you drop one of the three subjects after the first year (and this is what most of the small number of students admitted w/o A level maths do with economics), but you have to take at least some economics papers right the way through in H&E. Basically it boils down to the fact that Maths A level is a far better preparation than Economics A level for university-level economics.

You would certainly be more likely to get in applying for single honours history (even ignoring the maths factor, the acceptance rate is two times higher), and I doubt it would be too much of a problem if you did this while applying for H&E elsewhere, as Oxford officially admit that they give personal statements “low importance” when assessing applications.
Original post by sfp04
Bluntly, your chances would unfortunately not be very good. I can’t find the stats for H&E, but about 90% of successful PPE applicants have A level maths, and I would imagine it would actually be even higher for H&E; PPE lets you drop one of the three subjects after the first year (and this is what most of the small number of students admitted w/o A level maths do with economics), but you have to take at least some economics papers right the way through in H&E. Basically it boils down to the fact that Maths A level is a far better preparation than Economics A level for university-level economics.

You would certainly be more likely to get in applying for single honours history (even ignoring the maths factor, the acceptance rate is two times higher), and I doubt it would be too much of a problem if you did this while applying for H&E elsewhere, as Oxford officially admit that they give personal statements “low importance” when assessing applications.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful :smile:
Original post by aaq1
History and econ seems difficult without maths. Maths is recommended by Oxford specifically. Also, intake is only 17 with 11% offers so chances are extremely low.

You can apply for History at Oxford and History & Econ elsewhere.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Quick Reply