struggling to decide which courses are more helpful

Watch this thread
m27x
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
hi so i’m very indecisive about choosing a uni course. i am interested in either a career to do with law/criminology or performing arts. i’m in year 11 and so now i’m deciding between college or sixth form. i got into a performing arts college where i can do a level 3 extended diploma in musical theatre, along with a level english literature and geography. however if i choose sixth form i would do a level english lit & lang, biology and psychology. i’d like to keep my options open because i still don’t fully know which career path i want to choose. at the end of year 13, i’m unsure whether universities would accept 2 a-levels and a level 3 for criminology/law, but i also don’t know if i would be closing off my performing arts chances at uni if i choose 3 a-levels, and if there would be any point in taking 3 if i wouldn’t need them anyway.
i hope this makes sense haha, thank you in advance
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
How to Choose a Uni Subject - https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...-what-to-study
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by m27x)
hi so i’m very indecisive about choosing a uni course. i am interested in either a career to do with law/criminology or performing arts. i’m in year 11 and so now i’m deciding between college or sixth form. i got into a performing arts college where i can do a level 3 extended diploma in musical theatre, along with a level english literature and geography. however if i choose sixth form i would do a level english lit & lang, biology and psychology. i’d like to keep my options open because i still don’t fully know which career path i want to choose. at the end of year 13, i’m unsure whether universities would accept 2 a-levels and a level 3 for criminology/law, but i also don’t know if i would be closing off my performing arts chances at uni if i choose 3 a-levels, and if there would be any point in taking 3 if i wouldn’t need them anyway.
To keep your options open why don't you do 3 A levels including Drama at your sixth form?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by m27x)
If your Law/Ctiminology is the level 3 from WJEC some at least of the top universities dont accept it as they do not consider it as A level/btec standard. As far as the diploma in musical theatre is concerned ask the universities. They sometimes look for a BTEC to be in a suitable subject but given the fact you will be taking 2 preferred A levels might accept it. Only the universities themselves can answer that
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by m27x)
Hi m27x,

I think like you said the most important thing of all is to try keep your options as open as possible so that you don't have difficulty when choosing your career path later on. In regard to doing 2 A-levels combined with a level 3 for studying law/criminology, then you'll find that there are many universities now including the University of Law who accept a mix of these qualifications as BTECs are becoming increasingly more accepted by universities. So if that is a route you want to take I wouldn't be too worried if I were you unless there's a specific university you had in mind which required 3 A-levels instead for law/criminology.
But if you are more keen on doing performing arts at university than law/criminology and know you don't need 3 A-levels then I think perhaps you should check the entry requirements with the specific universities you are interested in applying to. If they tell you that actually your subject choices are not closing off your chances of going into performing arts and meet the entry requirements regardless then you could continue with 3 A-levels if you want to. But if you are avoiding the burden of 3 A-levels and have researched into some potential universities for law/criminology that accept 2 A-levels and BTEC then that would perhaps be even more convenient and you could stick with that.
I hope that helps offer some suggestions and helps you reach a decision soon. Good luck with your studies!

Sarah- ULaw Student Ambassador
Izzyaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
So I studied a BTEC in performing arts and went onto an extended diploma. I then did a HNC in performing arts and got into an art university doing BA acting, currently in my first year. There are universities that see A levels and BTECs as equivalents, as long as you meet those requirements. Usually if it’s in performing arts, musical theatre or acting, you can also use art related subjects, or humanities based qualifications to get in. You wouldn’t necessarily need a performing arts qualification to study performing arts/musical theatre, because in a lot of cases, depending on how your audition goes, they would make exceptions, but it still looks good if you do have experience in performing, of course. Even if you didn’t want to continue performing in future, it still looks good to have as the performing arts give great lessons in work ethic and team work. But I’d say choose what you enjoy the most, but yes keep your options open. I can’t give advice on criminology or law since I’ve have no experience in those sectors, but good luck with whatever you choose
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (6)
42.86%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (7)
50%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (1)
7.14%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads