The Student Room Group

What do you think about Cambridge's MPhil in Management?

Hello,

I'm a CS Engineering student currently in my senior year in India. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the top universities(IITs, NITs, etc.). So, I ended up doing my B.Tech in a Tier-3 state university. I want to work in Management Consulting preferably in the MBB post-graduation.

Since I lack academic prestige as well as professional coding skills, I'm ineligible to be even considered for these prestigious firms. Getting an MBA has always been my dream. I never considered my undergrad as anything but a pre-requisite for a post-graduate later on. That's why I have been consistent with my academics. I have been among the toppers of my department for the past 3 years(9.56/10 CGPA).

I just wanted to know if Cambridge's MPhil in Management would help me land my career in Management Consulting. The course doesn't have any requirement of a GMAT/GRE. I want to know how this would impact the hiring process. I would be much obliged if you could tell me more about the course(placement stats and all). I understand Cambridge's prestige but if I am fortunate enough to get an admission, I would be literally switching continents. So I need to know everything there's to know. Both good and bad.

I am also planning to apply for MSc Management/MiM from LBS, LSE, Imperial as well. I would be grateful if you could suggest to me some other courses offered by Cambridge/any other Unis that would eventually help me land an MC career.
Original post by Morningstar47
Hello,

I'm a CS Engineering student currently in my senior year in India. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the top universities(IITs, NITs, etc.). So, I ended up doing my B.Tech in a Tier-3 state university. I want to work in Management Consulting preferably in the MBB post-graduation.

Since I lack academic prestige as well as professional coding skills, I'm ineligible to be even considered for these prestigious firms. Getting an MBA has always been my dream. I never considered my undergrad as anything but a pre-requisite for a post-graduate later on. That's why I have been consistent with my academics. I have been among the toppers of my department for the past 3 years(9.56/10 CGPA).

I just wanted to know if Cambridge's MPhil in Management would help me land my career in Management Consulting. The course doesn't have any requirement of a GMAT/GRE. I want to know how this would impact the hiring process. I would be much obliged if you could tell me more about the course(placement stats and all). I understand Cambridge's prestige but if I am fortunate enough to get an admission, I would be literally switching continents. So I need to know everything there's to know. Both good and bad.

I am also planning to apply for MSc Management/MiM from LBS, LSE, Imperial as well. I would be grateful if you could suggest to me some other courses offered by Cambridge/any other Unis that would eventually help me land an MC career.

If you're specifically talking consulting prospects in the UK then I might be able to help, but I have no idea how these firms hire in India.

In the UK, you can study any subject and get into consulting, there are no subject requirements. Instead, firms are more selective over the university you attend. For example, the MBB firms mainly hire from Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and LBS. You'd still have a shot from places like Imperial and UCL but most hiring from UK unis come from these four.

Outside of MBB firms, other top strategy and management consulting firms are less selective but still fairly selective with most consultants coming from these unis plus a few more UK ones, top US and Euro institutions. You can just look at employees from these firms on LinkedIn to see where they studied, for example try this this for firms like L.E.K Consulting or Oliver Wyman just to try, you'll see that most come from top UK unis but some come from good but not elite unis.

If you're wanting to work in India for these firms after graduation then I have no idea.
Original post by BenRyan99
If you're specifically talking consulting prospects in the UK then I might be able to help, but I have no idea how these firms hire in India.

In the UK, you can study any subject and get into consulting, there are no subject requirements. Instead, firms are more selective over the university you attend. For example, the MBB firms mainly hire from Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and LBS. You'd still have a shot from places like Imperial and UCL but most hiring from UK unis come from these four.

Outside of MBB firms, other top strategy and management consulting firms are less selective but still fairly selective with most consultants coming from these unis plus a few more UK ones, top US and Euro institutions. You can just look at employees from these firms on LinkedIn to see where they studied, for example try this this for firms like L.E.K Consulting or Oliver Wyman just to try, you'll see that most come from top UK unis but some come from good but not elite unis.

If you're wanting to work in India for these firms after graduation then I have no idea.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I am planning to immigrate after completing my postgraduate. That's why I have been so selective in the courses I wanted to do.

I am looking for something that is less quant heavy. I didn't know I could make my way to MBB irrespective of the subject I have taken for post-grad. I was so caught up in doing an MSc Management/MiM.

Do you know anything more specifically about MPhil in Management from Cambridge? The good, bad and the ugly?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Morningstar47
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I am planning to immigrate after completing my postgraduate. That's why I have been so selective in the courses I wanted to do.

I am looking for something that is less quant heavy. I didn't know I could make my way to MBB irrespective of the subject I have taken for post-grad. I was so caught up in doing an MSc Management/MiM.

Do you know anything more specifically about MPhil in Management from Cambridge? The good, bad and the ugly?

The lack of subject requirements definitely applies at undergrad, not sure at postgrad. But I imagine any subject like management, business, accounting & finance, business analytics, economics, etc (basically any business school subject) would be absolutely fine at postgrad level.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the MiM at Cambridge other than the fact that Cambridge's business school (judge) generally isn't seen to be as good as places like Oxford (Saïd), Imperial, LBS and LSE (not a business school but offers some similar courses).

Also worth noting that unlike the US, master's degrees like MiM or MBAs aren't valued as much in the UK. Most hiring for banks and consultancies comes straight from undergrad. This is why you tend to see international students make up most of the cohorts in these master's programmes
(edited 1 year ago)
The lack of subject requirements definitely applies at undergrad, not sure at postgrad. But I imagine any subject like management, business, accounting & finance, business analytics, economics, etc (basically any business school subject) would be absolutely fine at postgrad level.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the MiM at Cambridge other than the fact that Cambridge's business school (judge) generally isn't seen to be as good as places like Oxford (Saïd), Imperial, LBS and LSE (not a business school but offers some similar courses).

Also worth noting that unlike the US, master's degrees like MiM or MBAs aren't valued as much in the UK. Most hiring for banks and consultancies comes straight from undergrad. This is why you tend to see international students make up most of the cohorts in these master's programmes

I see. But applying for a Masters course is the only way I could get into the MC career and immigrate to the UK in the long term. I'm not from a prestigious institute in my country. I think this would be a huge hurdle for me. I haven't taken the GMAT yet. LBS, LSE, and Imperial require this from an international student. Chances are pretty slim. But I guess I have to try. I am familiar with Oxford's MFE. But it is too quantitative for me. That's why I have shelved it for now. What are the chances of my resume ending up in the trash because of the lack of my undergrad prestige? Does this apply to all the B-School admissions? Cambridge and Oxford alumni have a pretty good undergrad reputation. Most of them are from the UK.

Where did you get this 'fact'? In terms of business school, Cambridge has consistently ranked higher in the past years than Oxford Said, Imperial, and LSE. You can also compare their LinkedIn alumni outcomes :wink:

I only applied to Cambridge and LSE, got offers from both, and chose Cambridge over LSE in a heartbeat.

https://rankings.ft.com/rankings/2866/mba-2022
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2022/business-management-studies
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest