Macbeth Essay: Inner Mortality Presentation

Watch this thread
Leah Brayshaw
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello, I have done a quick essay on Macbeth and how his inner mortality has become corrupted due to his hubristic desire of becoming N king so he associates with the supernatural hoping everything will turn out just fine; it turns back to corrupt his mortality.
Id be very appreciated if you could mark the essay and give me feedback and even a mark or grade depending on your effort 😂. I’ve been stuck at 26/30 marks and I’ve heard precooking grade 9 context will help push up. I’ve inserted this and hope it works.
Enjoy!

Q: How does Shakespeare present the corruption of the inner mortality in Macbeth?

In the allegorical tragedy ‘Macbeth’, Shakespeare presents the corruption of Macbeth’s inner mortality to provoke what the association of the supernatural can do towards an individuals inner mortality. Shakespeare aims to target the contemporary Jacobean audience to implicate King James’s warning of what will happen if any individual associates or claims to be with the supernatural. He does this by almost inserting the witches into Macbeth, mimicking Macbeth’s blasphemous involvement.

In Shakespeare’s didactic tragedy of ‘Macbeth’. The convention of Macbeth’s corrupted mortality is presented to catch the contemporary Jacobean audiences’ eyes, teaching them the consequential matters that lay beneath the blasphemous crime seen to be committed when associating with the supernatural. The included extract presents the acne e of “ghost of Banquo” which Macbeth fears of as he has killed his best friend in order to keep his position as king longer. Macbeth is implied to react skeptical as he tells “the earth hide thee” which further mimics the witches vocalised words. The use of of furtive verb of “hide” crafts connotations of obscured emotions within Macbeth’s protagonist, highlighting his inner mortality has something to hide and driven by this, leads to corruption. Furthermore, the mimicking reference of “thee” portrays this resembled vocals between the “weird sisters” and Macbeth himself which can be metaphorically proven that due to his blasphemous crimes he has committed and involvement with the supernatural in order to carry these crimes with him, the supernatural has inserted the witches into Macbeth in order to punish him for his misdeeds; corrupting his inner mortality. Shakespeare’s aim can be implicated during the contemporary era of King James as Shakespeare wanted to gain patronage of Ling James to continue to craft his plays for the king and gain respect. Due to this, Shakespeare’s moral message teaches the Jacobean audience into reshaping their thinking and bring them back to the involvement of the supernatural and almost threaten them of what happens to an individual’s mortality when associating with the supernatural.

In Shakespeare’s moral tragedy, the presentation of Macbeth’s corrupted mortality is provoked through his soliloquy to teach the Jacobean audience about the implications the association with the supernatural has upon the inner mortality. Macbeth is provoked to hallucinate a “dagger” which he questions himself several times about “a dagger which I see before me?” The use of the motif “dagger” can be metaphorically implied through the witches control over Macbeth and their way into manipulating his mortality to make him “proceed in this business” of his that he craves within. The use of the hallucination can however portray Shakespeare’s presentation of the witches themselves and how they have inserted themselves into Macbeth in order to corrupt his inner mortality; punishment for involvement in supernatural. The “dagger” metaphorically acts as an trail and direction towards Duncan’s room which corrupts Macbeth’s mortality even more due to his questioning of himself, judging on what is reality and what isn’t. The questioning quote of Macbeth implying his “dagger which I see before me?” further demonstrates his corruptive mortality as the question can be symbolic to his corrupting inner state and how the witches insertion has played with his thoughts and emotion that Macbeth finally realises that he has been played with throughout the play. This consequential realisation of interfering with the supernatural would have led the Jacobean audience to fear this act as this would force them to stay away from the supernatural and not even “speak” of it. This would have led Shakespeare to gain patronage from King James as he has controlled the audience to stay away from the element and ignore it which James would be pleased of. The use of the soliloquy is constructed to give the Jacobean audience this allowance of listening to the inner thoughts of Macbeth’s corruptive mortality. Shakespeare invented the soliloquy in order to agitate the Jacobean audience as the have never heard of this. This use of construction can be contemplated that he has done this to connect Macbeth’s inner mortality towards the supernatural, giving the Jacobean audience this enabled access in his mortality and thoughts to imply this mimic connection between the witches and Macbeth, identifying the consequence of involving the supernatural through Macbeth’s corrupted state.

Shakespeare presents Macbeth’s inner mortality of becoming corrupted in order to teach the Jacobean audience of what happens to an individual’s mortality when associating with the supernatural. Lady Macbeth is implied to control and manipulate Macbeth’s corrupting inner mortality by persuading him to “look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it”. Lady Macbeth is mythically described as the fourth witch due to he evilness and association towards the supernatural as well. This connection can be implied that the witches has inserted their “spirits” into Lady Macbeth, further backed up by her cravenness of “come you spirits, unsex me here”, which gives the witches with a four insertion so that Macbeth’s inner mortality can become more corruptive than ever. This could have further led the Jacobean audience to fear this cooperation with the supernatural as it is proven to not only affect the individual’s inner mortality to become corrupted, but also the individuals around the driven consequence relying on an individual. The façade used through Lady Macbeth’s antagonist further implies her manipulative mortality which again links this idea with the fact that the witches have inserted themselves into both Lady Macbeth and Macbeth. This can be further metaphorical to how Lady Macbeth can be led to inserting her presented “spirits” into Macbeth which speeds up his decaying of his inner mortality, fearing the contemporary audience even further. The use of the symbolic “serpent” connects biblical references of the didactic story ‘Adam and Eve’ where the serpent manipulates Eve into eating the apple. This can be inserted into the play ‘Macbeth’ where Lady Macbeth is role played as the diabolical serpent who manipulates Eve, which can be role played as Macbeth’ in order to eat the apple, apple echoing the “bloody instructions’; leads Macbeth to his corruptive immortality. This “serpent” is echoed through Macbeth’s protagonist as well as he is implied to talk about a “scorpion” instead of an actual serpent itself.

Macbeth’s metaphorical description of “scorpions inside my head” can be symbolised to how the witches have inserted themselves far into Macbeth’s mortality that it has eventually led him to go insane and not able to realise the reality from the imagination. The use of the “scorpions” have animalistic terminology of how these witches are clearly classified as these non-human creatures, implying Banquo’s earlier suggestion of their provoked “beards”. This dehumanisation of Shakespeares can also have driven the Jacobean audience to fear the supernatural and its association as the elements are classified to almost nothingness and unidentified to even fit into society; further implied by their position at the expedition on “upon the heath”. This metaphorical feeling of Macbeth’s corruptive inner mortality can be also portrayed to have this connection between the witches themselves and Macbeth, mimicking Shakespeare’s purpose of the theme of mortality and its corruption driven by the supernatural. During the Jacobean era, society was controlled by King James which he constructs this supernatural belief and what consequences lay beneath the connection towards the element. Society was presented as naïve which led people to do anything to please the king and belief these superstitious stories and mythical beliefs. The king was presented as God’s guard and reliability which gave him the power to do anything he wants to please God metaphorically. This is proven by the great chain of being as King is just below God himself.

In conclusion, Shakespeare presents Macbeth’s corruptive inner mortality to teach the Jacobean audience what the consequences lay ahead when associating with the supernatural. Shakespeare is implied to do this through the witches and metaphorically inserts them into Macbeth’s mortality, leaving it to corrupt momentarily. He aims to teach the contemporary audience that even Macbeth’s association with the supernatural in order to claim king through the subversion of the patriarchal system has led him to have these supernatural elements inserted in his mortality; corrupts the inner mortality.
izzy-stones
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
This is a really good essay with a strong start! I have a few pointers for you though:

1st Para:
- You maintain the big ideas that you start with in each paragraph (e.g. sticking with supernatural in the first and not going off-topic) which is good
- "acne e of “ghost of Banquo”" you wrote this but I'm assuming that it's a typo
- "react skeptical" react sceptically would work better here
- "Ling James" King James

2nd Para:
- It seems like you are repeating yourself a bit, e.g. you mention the witches insertion of their views to Macbeth. Whilst I understand that this links, it makes it a little difficult to read. However, the content is good
- You go from talking about Macbeth's soliloquy to mentioning the witches and how Lady Macbeth is involved, it might be better to make these into smaller paragraphs to split the ideas up (e.g. Macbeth's soliloquy involving the witches and Macbeth's soliloquy involving Lady Macbeth)

3rd Para:
- Here you could connect the last part of 2nd Para into it
- Make the paragraph about Macbeth's struggles with the 'scorpion' and link it to the serpent
- You might want to hold off talking about the witches too much as it loses track of the question, I started to think about how Macbeth links to the witches instead of Macbeth's inner mortality

Overall this is a really good essay and has a lot of potential but it is worth writing a plan to separate the ideas into strict paragraphs (e.g. when talking about Macbeth's soliloquy only talk about that unless you mention something like "In this paragraph I will be talking about Macbeth's soliloquy and how the links it has to the witches changes Macbeth's mortality"

Hope this helps! If you want me to look over anything else then just give me a message and I wish you the best of luck
Leah Brayshaw
Rep:
(Original post by izzy-stones)
This is a really good essay with a strong start! I have a few pointers for you though:

1st Para:
- You maintain the big ideas that you start with in each paragraph (e.g. sticking with supernatural in the first and not going off-topic) which is good
- "acne e of “ghost of Banquo”" you wrote this but I'm assuming that it's a typo
- "react skeptical" react sceptically would work better here
- "Ling James" King James

2nd Para:
- It seems like you are repeating yourself a bit, e.g. you mention the witches insertion of their views to Macbeth. Whilst I understand that this links, it makes it a little difficult to read. However, the content is good
- You go from talking about Macbeth's soliloquy to mentioning the witches and how Lady Macbeth is involved, it might be better to make these into smaller paragraphs to split the ideas up (e.g. Macbeth's soliloquy involving the witches and Macbeth's soliloquy involving Lady Macbeth)

3rd Para:
- Here you could connect the last part of 2nd Para into it
- Make the paragraph about Macbeth's struggles with the 'scorpion' and link it to the serpent
- You might want to hold off talking about the witches too much as it loses track of the question, I started to think about how Macbeth links to the witches instead of Macbeth's inner mortality

Overall this is a really good essay and has a lot of potential but it is worth writing a plan to separate the ideas into strict paragraphs (e.g. when talking about Macbeth's soliloquy only talk about that unless you mention something like "In this paragraph I will be talking about Macbeth's soliloquy and how the links it has to the witches changes Macbeth's mortality"

Hope this helps! If you want me to look over anything else then just give me a message and I wish you the best of luck
Thank you so much, what would I get at face if I write this? Is there any chance that you could help me achieve in a higher level such as level 6 and up as I’ve been recently getting 26/30 on my essays. Thanks
izzy-stones
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Leah Brayshaw)
Thank you so much, what would I get at face if I write this? Is there any chance that you could help me achieve in a higher level such as level 6 and up as I’ve been recently getting 26/30 on my essays. Thanks
I'm not the best at grading and giving a mark as I'm only marking it as someone who did A Level English Literature and passing on advice that was given to us so sadly I can't give you a grade for that. I can try to help you if you want to show me the essay with improvements or another essay but will only be able to criticise/praise you on the content and context used if that's okay?
Leah Brayshaw
Rep:
(Original post by izzy-stones)
I'm not the best at grading and giving a mark as I'm only marking it as someone who did A Level English Literature and passing on advice that was given to us so sadly I can't give you a grade for that. I can try to help you if you want to show me the essay with improvements or another essay but will only be able to criticise/praise you on the content and context used if that's okay?
Yeah that will be fine thanks x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads