The Student Room Group

Government Social Research Officer

Hello! Does anyone else have an upcoming interview for this? Or anyone in this position already offer any advise for it? Mine is the 25th. I know they run these campaign's yearly. Would adore this job! Right up my street from educational background and career to date..concerned on what the presentation aspect holds though? It says will notify 5 days before...will this be a general test you on the competencies format? Or technical skills? Hoping it to be technical skills! Any advise or tips for this role very gratefully received!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jpogk
Hello! Does anyone else have an upcoming interview for this? Or anyone in this position already offer any advise for it? Mine is the 25th. I know they run these campaign's yearly. Would adore this job! Right up my street from educational background and career to date..concerned on what the presentation aspect holds though? It says will notify 5 days before...will this be a general test you on the competencies format? Or technical skills? Hoping it to be technical skills! Any advise or tips for this role very gratefully received!

Hi,
I have sent you a private message.
Reply 2
I've applied for this role as well, so if anyone has any tips or things to be aware of they would be gratefully received!
Reply 3
Original post by figure87
I've applied for this role as well, so if anyone has any tips or things to be aware of they would be gratefully received!

Me too :-) please
Original post by sail999
Hi,
I have sent you a private message.

Hi, is there any chance you can please give me any tips on this interview as well? I have my interview tomorrow and am a little uncertain with the scenario-based question they'll ask for the GSR technical skills aspect, it's pretty vague!
Reply 5
Good luck for tommorow, I am too. I was wondering if this will lead on and be about the presentation we give and then the behaviours? It is vague. So much we could go into and need to condense too. Was wondering if there will be strengths too? I like these, know you can't learn essentially for them would but like to know!
Original post by Jpogk
Good luck for tommorow, I am too. I was wondering if this will lead on and be about the presentation we give and then the behaviours? It is vague. So much we could go into and need to condense too. Was wondering if there will be strengths too? I like these, know you can't learn essentially for them would but like to know!

Good luck to you too! I think so, but it is very vague particularly that section. The GSR technical framework is so broad, so I feel like it could be anything! One thing I am pretty sure on, is that there shouldn't be strength based questions because they'd specify if that was the case, so we should only get the behaviour questions for the general civil service section :smile:

Edit- Although just to add, recently I learned the hard way that the behaviour questions aren't just about past behaviours but could also include hypothetical scenarios, the "what would you do if.." style questions. This really threw me off last time, and the questions were so specific it would be hard to prepare for.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Borahae23
Good luck to you too! I think so, but it is very vague particularly that section. The GSR technical framework is so broad, so I feel like it could be anything! One thing I am pretty sure on, is that there shouldn't be strength based questions because they'd specify if that was the case, so we should only get the behaviour questions for the general civil service section :smile:

Edit- Although just to add, recently I learned the hard way that the behaviour questions aren't just about past behaviours but could also include hypothetical scenarios, the "what would you do if.." style questions. This really threw me off last time, and the questions were so specific it would be hard to prepare for.

How did the interviews go yesterday for those that had them? I've got mine next week - a bit nervous
Original post by becca50
How did the interviews go yesterday for those that had them? I've got mine next week - a bit nervous

How did yours go? Mine's not till the tenth..
Reply 9
How did yours go? Mine's not till the tenth..

It's hard to know. Some bits of it were better than others. They were friendly enough but the scenario question was quite stressful to be honest. Fingers crossed the other bits went okay. Best of luck with yours
Original post by becca50
It's hard to know. Some bits of it were better than others. They were friendly enough but the scenario question was quite stressful to be honest. Fingers crossed the other bits went okay. Best of luck with yours

I hadn;t really thought about the scenario question - been wrapped up trying to sort out the presentation and actually get it down to five minutes.... Fingers crossed for you!
And you. Hope you got on okay 😊
Anyone had any news on the outcomes of the GSR interview yet?
Original post by becca50
Anyone had any news on the outcomes of the GSR interview yet?

No not yet, do we hear back this week or is it next week if anyone knows?
Reply 14
Original post by sail999
No not yet, do we hear back this week or is it next week if anyone knows?

I thought it was this week, but I saw on another forum someone had an interview on the 12th, so I'm wondering if because they were interviewing right up till last week that perhaps we won't get outcomes untill late this week or next. Fingers crossed for everyone 🙂 assume like most posts we will all hear at the same time!
Just enquired about when we might hear. Got a response saying that they’re still interviewing throughout May so we are likely to hear in June now.
Original post by becca50
Just enquired about when we might hear. Got a response saying that they’re still interviewing throughout May so we are likely to hear in June now.

Ahh thanks for posting this. I would assume it’s an email that we’d hear by - don’t suppose they said ?
Reply 17
Ahh thanks for posting this. I would assume it’s an email that we’d hear by - don’t suppose they said ?

Thanks for the update Becca. I did wonder if later as I saw later interviews! I think the guy in my interview who said 3 weeks was abit off on the timings!
Yes it will be an email as well as a status update in your civil service jobs account :smile: no harm in checking both but they usually come simultaneously :smile:
Anyone else’s portal changed to say application being reviewed? Mine changed at 11. There looks like the interview feedback is on there but I can’t open it yet
Reply 19
Original post by becca50
Anyone else’s portal changed to say application being reviewed? Mine changed at 11. There looks like the interview feedback is on there but I can’t open it yet

I just went and looked yes mine has changed as of yesterday 11.24 to be precise haha. Wonder if this means earlier than estimated results, maybe they are collating them into systems before releasing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending