UK film schools for MA FILM DIRECTING

Watch this thread
kokema
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello!!! I'm a recent Film and Media undergraduate EU student. I have already done little short films during my undergraduate but I am doing an MA to have a more "professional" portfolio, better understanding of filmmaking and networking.

I am planning on going to the UK next september 2022 to study an MA in film directing. Let me know what do you think of the following courses:

- MA Filmmaking (Directing Fiction) at Goldsmiths University
-MA Directing for Film and Television at Bournemouth University
- MA Film (Directing) at Edinburgh Napier University

Initially I was really interested in going to Goldsmiths because of their facilities, the possibility of collaborating w other art departments, the student films looked fantastic, very practical, plus its in London. However, I found out some bad reviews of the school and well, felt a little bit discouraged. Also, i'll have to pay the international fees, and its the most expensive from the three.

Bournemouth looks also fantastic and seems to have lots of networking opportunities w the industry. Cheaper program than goldsmiths and way cheaper than living in London. However i dont know how the city is? Also found some comments online the course was a little bit disorganised.

Edinburgh seems like a great course too, but i have no idea what to expect. How's city to study film and establish networking w other creatives, etc? Is it too small?

*** Also im not applying to LFS or NFTS they're too expensive for my budget.

Any comments, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! Or even any other options.
Thank you )))))
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Bournemouth isn’t a city. I wouldn’t go to any of them. You don’t need to get into debt to be a film director. Get a proper job.
filmworker
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Why not consider Hertfordshire? The course won a student Academy Award for MA film, and multiple RTS student awards. How many of those other courses have won a student Oscar?

It’s CILECT, ScreenSkills and BAFTA albert accredited and is in good proximity to Hertfordshire’s film studios and London post houses.
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by filmworker)
Why not consider Hertfordshire? The course won a student Academy Award for MA film, and multiple RTS student awards. How many of those other courses have won a student Oscar?

It’s CILECT, ScreenSkills and BAFTA albert accredited and is in good proximity to Hertfordshire’s film studios and London post houses.
Why not consider not going at all because most practical Film Production courses are a waste of time, money and effort?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
29.55%
As I expected (12)
27.27%
Harder (17)
38.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
4.55%

Watched Threads