The Student Room Group

Need some advice (jobs)

[content warning for fleeting mention of mental abuse)
Hi, hoping someone can help me out!

I am an autistic sixteen-year-old, not yet through year eleven (I haven't taken my GCSEs yet). I suffer from severe anxiety (panic attacks, anxiety attacks), and possibly have PTSD from prior life experiences, plus a myriad of other issues. Naturally, I suffer with low self-esteem and a variety of residual problems from a series of mental abuse I have suffered from parental figures, some of which is only just coming to light (I have attended therapy on-and-off for years now).

I'm conscious of applying for a job; I want to be able to gain work-experience (something I was unable to do in yr 10 due to COVID) and also possibly gain confidence through the experience or at least a grip on the 'real world' (money is obviously also a key factor). However, I am concerned that this could be a poor choice during my GCSEs when I am under so much stress already, plus I'm worried that my nervousness would backfire on me and render me useless. But, I equally don't want to squander opportunities and have it bite me in the ass when I look for a job in a few months time once I'm at college, and am wondering how much work-experience is typically desired to take a simple job for a college-age student.

Anyone have any advice? Anything is muchly appreciated!
Try the Internet. If it does not work try a career advisor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending