The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham

UoN - Broadgate Park 2022

I have have received an unconditional offer for UoN starting in September and am looking to stay at Broadgate park but I have a few questions.

1. All standard and large ensuite rooms have sold out leaving only shared bathrooms or ensuite studios. I really want to experience the party life at uni but don't want to share a bathroom, are standard rooms ok or is it worth paying more for a studio? Would I miss out on social life with a studio, or are blocks/corridors a mix of studio, ensuite or standard rooms?

2. Are flats / blocks mixed or single sex?Might be a weird question but I've previously been to boarding school and shared with all guys, it was ok but it would be nice to share with a mix of guys and girls.

3. I'm a music producer with a full studio setup at home. Would it be ok to bring studio speakers, soundproof foam etc or would playing music make me unpopular in my flat or block?

4. Parking seems to be available and I definitely want to bring my car, are they allocated on a first come first serve basis or are there usually enough for everyone? I understand bringing your own car is not that popular.

5. From open days I've seen electric scooters around on campus for hire. Would I be allowed to buy my own to save the walks and lock it somewhere on campus? Maybe to a bike stand?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious as to if this would all be acceptable at Broadgate or if I should look at other accommodation. Cheers
Original post by ed07722
I have have received an unconditional offer for UoN starting in September and am looking to stay at Broadgate park but I have a few questions.

1. All standard and large ensuite rooms have sold out leaving only shared bathrooms or ensuite studios. I really want to experience the party life at uni but don't want to share a bathroom, are standard rooms ok or is it worth paying more for a studio? Would I miss out on social life with a studio, or are blocks/corridors a mix of studio, ensuite or standard rooms?

2. Are flats / blocks mixed or single sex?Might be a weird question but I've previously been to boarding school and shared with all guys, it was ok but it would be nice to share with a mix of guys and girls.

3. I'm a music producer with a full studio setup at home. Would it be ok to bring studio speakers, soundproof foam etc or would playing music make me unpopular in my flat or block?

4. Parking seems to be available and I definitely want to bring my car, are they allocated on a first come first serve basis or are there usually enough for everyone? I understand bringing your own car is not that popular.

5. From open days I've seen electric scooters around on campus for hire. Would I be allowed to buy my own to save the walks and lock it somewhere on campus? Maybe to a bike stand?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious as to if this would all be acceptable at Broadgate or if I should look at other accommodation. Cheers

1: imo id say go shared bathroom, studios don’t have the same social setting as a flat. And you’ll probably get a house in years 2-4 so you’ll have to share at that point anyway.

2: I think you can choose if you prefer single sex or not but most are mixed

3: I think you are massively over estimating how much space you get in halls, what your allowed to put up & halls walls are VERY thin, this would piss everyone off other then the people you pre with.

4:I believe it is first come first served, but normally their is plenty of space for those willing to pay the fee.

5: im sure you can, it would just be like having a bicycle which lots of students have, although the scooters are very cheap (its also a whole city scooter network, not just campus).
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Original post by mnot
1: imo id say go shared bathroom, studios don’t have the same social setting as a flat. And you’ll probably get a house in years 2-4 so you’ll have to share at that point anyway.

2: I think you can choose if you prefer single sex or not but most are mixed

3: I think you are massively over estimating how much space you get in halls, what your allowed to put up & halls walls are VERY thin, this would piss everyone off other then the people you pre with.

4:I believe it is first come first served, but normally their is plenty of space for those willing to pay the fee.

5: im sure you can, it would just be like having a bicycle which lots of students have, although the scooters are very cheap (its also a whole city scooter network, not just campus).

Thanks for the quick reply, 1. didn't think about the fact I'd probably share after getting a house after the first year. I'm probably gonna go with the shared then as I think the lack of social life in studios is a deal breaker. 2. Ok cool, cheers! 3. From the pictures they looked quite big, but if the walls are thin then I might have to settle for some headphones - don't wanna piss people off as soon as I get there hahaha. 4. Thank you. 5. Oh I didn't realise they worked across the city that's a huge help!

One other point - what kind of appliances are and aren't you allowed in your room? Is it an issue of fire safety or PAT testing?
That's for the help its super useful
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the quick reply, 1. didn't think about the fact I'd probably share after getting a house after the first year. I'm probably gonna go with the shared then as I think the lack of social life in studios is a deal breaker. 2. Ok cool, cheers! 3. From the pictures they looked quite big, but if the walls are thin then I might have to settle for some headphones - don't wanna piss people off as soon as I get there hahaha. 4. Thank you. 5. Oh I didn't realise they worked across the city that's a huge help!

One other point - what kind of appliances are and aren't you allowed in your room? Is it an issue of fire safety or PAT testing?
That's for the help its super useful

Im not sure on what your allowed nowadays and what you can get away with, rice cookers are not normally allowed, think heaters aren’t allowed & mini-fridges are another popular one that is sometimes banned (but if you can get away with it are worth having, to stop people stealing your food at 5am).

Generally most things are allowed, they probably officially require pat testing but no one ever goes around and checks every single device.

Lots of people bring games consoles, computers, tv’s, hair dryers etc.

@flaurie are minifridges allowed in BGP? I can’t remember.
(edited 1 year ago)
Sorry for the late reply! Nah I don’t think mini fridges, rice cookers etc. are allowed in rooms.

As for the shared bathroom thing, I’m in a standard room this year and we have 2 bathrooms (each with a shower) between 5 of us, so it’s really not a problem!

The flats and blocks are mixed sex, usually a 3:2 ratio either way - though I think I remember being able to request single sex somewhere on the application form :holmes:
Hi. I'm living at Broadgate this year.

1. I had a standard room this year. Honestly, the prospect scared me a bit but actually, it was completely fine. I'm in a flat of 7 (on the large side I think) and we don't struggle with two bathrooms (both with showers). It saves a lot of money too so that might be something to consider

2. Blocks are mixed (unless requested) so don't worry about that

3. I'd agree with what's been previously said, that the space you get will unlikely allow you to bring a full setup. As to how flatmates /people in your block (and beyond) may respond, The walls are somewhat thin so I'm not sure how much foam will do to stop the noise. Even so, I imagine there will be a few people who wouldn't appreciate the noise but maybe if you try and speak to your flatmates beforehand you'd get an answer before having to take anything.

5. I imagine so. I'd call Broadgate on 0115 951 8670 or email them at [email protected] to check before getting one yourself.

Let me know if you have any more questions
Reply 6
Original post by flaurie
Sorry for the late reply! Nah I don’t think mini fridges, rice cookers etc. are allowed in rooms.

As for the shared bathroom thing, I’m in a standard room this year and we have 2 bathrooms (each with a shower) between 5 of us, so it’s really not a problem!

The flats and blocks are mixed sex, usually a 3:2 ratio either way - though I think I remember being able to request single sex somewhere on the application form :holmes:

Thanks for your reply! I have submitted my application for a mixed standard large room :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by JonahP553
Hi. I'm living at Broadgate this year.

1. I had a standard room this year. Honestly, the prospect scared me a bit but actually, it was completely fine. I'm in a flat of 7 (on the large side I think) and we don't struggle with two bathrooms (both with showers). It saves a lot of money too so that might be something to consider

2. Blocks are mixed (unless requested) so don't worry about that

3. I'd agree with what's been previously said, that the space you get will unlikely allow you to bring a full setup. As to how flatmates /people in your block (and beyond) may respond, The walls are somewhat thin so I'm not sure how much foam will do to stop the noise. Even so, I imagine there will be a few people who wouldn't appreciate the noise but maybe if you try and speak to your flatmates beforehand you'd get an answer before having to take anything.

5. I imagine so. I'd call Broadgate on 0115 951 8670 or email them at [email protected] to check before getting one yourself.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Thank you for your response, it reassures me that sharing a bathroom shouldn't be too bad, probably gonna miss my long hot baths tho hahaha

In terms of the studio setup, I didn't think of that, but as I'm (hopefully) taking my car it wouldn't be too hard to bring everything back up on a weekend after a chat with my flatmates. It's not that I would be playing music obnoxiously loud it's just that if the walls are ridiculously thin I wouldn't wanna upset anyone. I did try to speak to Broadgate park about this when I looked around and they just said don't make noise between 22:00 and 7:00 🤷🏾*♂️

I'm going to call them now about the parking, cheers for posting the number!

One final question, as you are at Broadgate at the moment, most of the posts I saw about Broadgate are a couple years old. Are the complaints about run down accommodation and slow WiFi really that bad? And do you generally enjoy staying there?
Reply 8
I applied for standard large and have been offered a standard room.
Does anyone know if a bike would fit in a standard room?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by HJ1956
I applied for standard large and have been offered a standard room.
Does anyone know if a bike would fit in a standard room?

It wouldn’t really be appropriate to store a bike inside your room, you would probably be expected to use a bike locker BGP will have some.
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
It wouldn’t really be appropriate to store a bike inside your room, you would probably be expected to use a bike locker BGP will have some.

I appreciate that however I am an athlete with a bike that is worth a fair bit and not sure if I can trust leaving it in bike storage. I know people who have kept bikes in rooms at Broadgate but they had the large rooms.
Reply 11
In response to the question about the bike, does anyone know how much bigger large rooms are compared to standard?
Original post by ed07722
Thank you for your response, it reassures me that sharing a bathroom shouldn't be too bad, probably gonna miss my long hot baths tho hahaha

In terms of the studio setup, I didn't think of that, but as I'm (hopefully) taking my car it wouldn't be too hard to bring everything back up on a weekend after a chat with my flatmates. It's not that I would be playing music obnoxiously loud it's just that if the walls are ridiculously thin I wouldn't wanna upset anyone. I did try to speak to Broadgate park about this when I looked around and they just said don't make noise between 22:00 and 7:00 🤷🏾*♂️

I'm going to call them now about the parking, cheers for posting the number!

One final question, as you are at Broadgate at the moment, most of the posts I saw about Broadgate are a couple years old. Are the complaints about run down accommodation and slow WiFi really that bad? And do you generally enjoy staying there?

For what you're paying, it's pretty good. I haven't had any serious wifi issues. There's an ethernet point in your room too if you want to be even better connected. It's student accommodation so the rooms are relatively small but you have space to do everything you need to do. I've enjoyed going to some of the events the Residential Experience (ResEx) put on, it made it feel more connected which was nice. All in all, I've enjoyed being here and if I was to relive first year, I'd stay there again.

Quick Reply

Latest