The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Which business school is better for Postgrad., Durham or Leeds?

I currently hold offers from both Durham and Leeds. (MSc Accounting, at Durham and MSc Accounting and Finance, at Leeds)
It is so so so difficult decision to make for me since I seem to attract by the reputation of Durham and the city is so lovely; however, several people told me that a programme in Accounting is quite too narrow for future career opportunities.
Durham and Leeds are both good unis. One over the other shouldn't affect your career prospects. Employers sometimes specify "good university" in their requirement and don't actually look at specific rankings in any detail. You should therefore choose the course you like more.

Also note that to work in accounting, you need a professional qualification like ACA/ACCA/CA. You study for these alongside working at an accounting firm under a training contract. Having a masters in accounting may be useful in theory, but isn't a pre-requisite for a career in accounting.

Hope this helps!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by micholate9
Durham and Leeds are both good unis. One over the other shouldn't affect your career prospects. Employers sometimes specify "good university" in their requirement and don't actually look at specific rankings in any detail. You should therefore choose the course you like more.

Also note that to work in accounting, you need a professional qualification like ACA/ACCA/CA. You study for these alongside working at an accounting firm under a training contract. Having a masters in accounting may be useful in theory, but isn't a pre-requisite for a career in accounting.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your advice. And what if I compare Durham and UoG, which one has better reputation in business school?
Career in advisory or consulting is my plan after graduate, so I am quite worried about the course.
Original post by Angel1998
Thank you for your advice. And what if I compare Durham and UoG, which one has better reputation in business school?
Career in advisory or consulting is my plan after graduate, so I am quite worried about the course.

Do you mean Glasgow?
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the reputation. Employers sometimes specify "good university" or "top university", but there is no actual definition for this. Also, graduate schemes are open to all. I would go for the course that's more appealing to you.
Reply 4
Thank you!! ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest