The Student Room Group

Is my dissertation too broad

Hi, the topic of my English dissertation is:THE INCORPORATION AND REPRESENTATION OF GHOSTSS AND SPIRITUALISM IN VICTORIAN-ERA TEXTS
However, I feel like it's not precise enough. Any advice?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LaurDor3
Hi, the topic of my English dissertation is:THE INCORPORATION AND REPRESENTATION OF GHOSTSS AND SPIRITUALISM IN VICTORIAN-ERA TEXTS

hi, i may not be of much help given that i'm only 15, but i gather that your dissertation is on quite a broad subject therefore it would be rather difficult to go into detail in the title itself, however it may be a good idea to perhaps rephrase it a little? For example, VICTORIAN APPROACHES TO INCOOPERATING SPIRITUAL UNDERTONES AND APPARITION ONTO INFLUENTIAL TEXTS (?) - hope that helps i'm not sure how else to help

Hi @LaurDor3,

I'm assuming that this is for an undergraduate dissertation? In which case yes, I think this is probably a little broad!

It sounds like a great topic but, given that most UG dissertations are between 7-10,000 words, that's a lot of ground to cover and my initial concern is that you'd be sacrificing depth of analysis for breadth of topic. 10,000 words might sound like a lot but, if you're really drilling down into the details and analysing your chosen texts, it'll soon get eaten up!

My advice would be to take this initial idea to your module tutor/dissertation supervisor and workshop ways that you can narrow it down. For example, is there a specific text that you could analyse this in? Covering 'Victorian-era texts' is a huge undertaking - more suited to a PhD than a UG dissertation - but covering one or two specific texts might be more manageable within your word count. Depending on what interests you about the topic, your supervisor/tutor should be able to help you narrow down and focus your ideas into a manageable project.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:
Reply 3
That’s actually amazingly helpful, thank you. I’ve decided to limit my analysis to short fiction by Edgar Allen Poe, which is very exciting! Thank you again, I appreciate your advice.
That’s actually amazingly helpful, thank you. I’ve decided to limit my analysis to short fiction by Edgar Allen Poe, which is very exciting! Thank you again, I appreciate your advice.

Sounds exciting! Best of luck with the dissertation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest