The Student Room Group

Advice on going holiday during Christmas break during A2 (Year 13)

So my family have decided to go on holiday during Christmas break next December. I will be in Year 13. I'm really happy, but currently, Year 12 hasn't been easy. Especially Maths, which teachers say get 10x harder next year.
I'm someone who needs to bang out revision to even get decent grades, specifically for maths.
Also I've asked some of the older year 13s, and they told me they applied for all their Unis (like did PSs, ect) during December, where I'll be on Holiday.
During holiday, I doubt I can do revision, as I'll be out a lot and I'll have to meet all my relatives (who are scattered across the country lol)

[ (For any CS students), I got to do my Computer Science project during the deadline in Year 13. Me nor my CS class have ever done CS at GCSE (wasn't an option), so right now I'm not starting my project because I'm too much of a noob at coding at an advance level (like I can do mini projects and answer Exam Qs on Pseudocode but not be able to program an application that is of "Project level"). Only solution is to do this during year 12 summer holiday, which I don't mind. ]

Anyone got any advice to help me.
(edited 2 years ago)
How long will you be away for?
Original post by Squiggles1238
How long will you be away for?

The end of term Christmas holiday is 2 weeks. So within 2 weeks of that holiday break.

Edit: It may be longer than, or as long as 2 weeks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by themostconfused1
The end of term Christmas holiday is 2 weeks. So within 2 weeks of that holiday break.

In all honesty, like the above post says, it will only be a problem if you mocks are like right after the holiday break ends. If that is the case, then yes, you being on holiday the whole time may pose a problem. It is definitely something to ask your teachers about. If your mocks are not then, then it won't be that much of an issue.
For me (I'm in year 13), I had mocks a week or two after the christmas break, and I didn't revise at all during the break. I just crammed my revision in at the last minute (which I dont recommend doing), and came out with two C's (both of which were one mark off a B) and a B, which for me was quite bad. In an ideal world, you need a comfortable amount of time to prepare for your mocks.
So basically- not a problem if no mocks coming up shortly after, potentially a problem if mocks are shortly coming.
Original post by Squiggles1238
In all honesty, like the above post says, it will only be a problem if you mocks are like right after the holiday break ends. If that is the case, then yes, you being on holiday the whole time may pose a problem. It is definitely something to ask your teachers about. If your mocks are not then, then it won't be that much of an issue.
For me (I'm in year 13), I had mocks a week or two after the christmas break, and I didn't revise at all during the break. I just crammed my revision in at the last minute (which I dont recommend doing), and came out with two C's (both of which were one mark off a B) and a B, which for me was quite bad. In an ideal world, you need a comfortable amount of time to prepare for your mocks.
So basically- not a problem if no mocks coming up shortly after, potentially a problem if mocks are shortly coming.

This year (year 12), there was a 1 or 2 (I can't seem to remember) week gap before mock exams after december holidays. So what do I do if there's a 1 week gap?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by themostconfused1
This year (year 12), there was a 1 or 2 (I can't seem to remember) week gap before mock exams after december holidays. So what do I do if there's a 1 week gap?

I would say prepare as much as you can before you go on holiday (even if this means you start revising before everyone else) so that you are as prepared as you can be given the circumstances. I know you will be on holiday, but would you be able to do any revision at all? Even if you just did 20 mins or so with some flashcards when you have a bit of downtime?

Quick Reply

Latest