The Student Room Group

Rejected by all unis

Hi I’m writing this post on behalf of my younger sister.

So she applied for radiography with A levels at ABC and an AS too but she didn’t get any offers. The reasons for this were mainly her personal statement and interview score.

Now she’s not too keen on taking a gap year and needed advice on what she should do. So she’s planning on going through ucas extra after the last university gives their reply or if not then later on will be going through clearing.

Is it going to be really hard finding a spot for radiography through clearing or ucas extra? She’s also been looking at social work too through clearing but I feel that might not be a good idea if she’s been looking into radiography.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated, thanks
Well, you'll have to wait until results day for clearing.
where did she apply for radiography? im sure if she exceed her grades and gets abb she'll have a good chance of calling the universities she applied for orginally for clearing

if she works hard for her exams it's still possible to get in on clearing at a university she wants to go to :biggrin:
Reply 3
oh is it?

she applied for Salford, Bradford, Liverpool, City and Leeds but I've heard this year the course is really competitive so im assuming she might struggle getting a place through clearing

thanks for your reply :smile:
Original post by Aad120
Hi I’m writing this post on behalf of my younger sister.

So she applied for radiography with A levels at ABC and an AS too but she didn’t get any offers. The reasons for this were mainly her personal statement and interview score.

Now she’s not too keen on taking a gap year and needed advice on what she should do. So she’s planning on going through ucas extra after the last university gives their reply or if not then later on will be going through clearing.

Is it going to be really hard finding a spot for radiography through clearing or ucas extra? She’s also been looking at social work too through clearing but I feel that might not be a good idea if she’s been looking into radiography.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated, thanks

I understand that she doesn't want to take a gap year but that may be the best option if she is set on radiography. The reason for her rejections was likely to be that she didn't have enough work experience to talk about in her interview, or didn't have a realistic view of what the job/working in the NHS would involve. It wasn't her A levels, so it is unlikely that anything would change on results day.

The best thing would be for her to take a year out and gain some work experience in the NHS - not necessarily even in a radiography department but just in her local hospital (either paid or unpaid). If this is not something she is prepared to do then it may be better for her to consider an alternative course in Clearing. Most courses don't require an interview and are based mainly on A level grades, but this one is different because it is so vocational and so they have to be sure that people getting onto a degree course are suitable for the career in terms of their personality, motivation & commitment.
Worst case scenario, I’d suggest using that gap year to get some experience in a hospital (even if voluntary) to boost her scores with the uni and she can then throw that into her PS.

I am about to start a masters this coming September 4 years after graduating from my BSc because I wanted to know for certain I wanted to do it and not waste my time, plus the additional years in industry gave me a better shot than someone fresh out of uni.

I realised after getting my BSc and my years in industry that the competition is fierce and I would need a masters to get the high ranking job I wanted (clinical scientist). In order to get that though, I need a HCPC (health care professions council) certificate which, after applying for around 40 positions and attending only 3 interviews, did I realise just how big the competition was and am hoping this gives me the edge I need to even secure an interview.

Hope it goes well your end!
(edited 1 year ago)
Extra is open now. It is first come first served so she needs to start using her extra choice asap.

You can search on ucas for courses with vacancies. Then just ring up the university tomorrow morning first thing to check the course is genuinely accepting extra applications and add the choice asap.
Healthcare courses are often not in Clearing because they are highly competitive and because they interview - organising rapid interiews in Clearing week is not something many Unis want to do and they would rather take 'near miss' offer holders, or those they interviewed by who just missed out on an offer ('reserve list').

As above, immaturity/lack of experince and real life awareness is probably the reason for rejection.
Many adults apply for Healthcare courses - they are often already working in care roles and have far more 'life experience' that the average 17 year old.
The best thing to do is get a job in a care home or any other care setting and get some real work experience and reapply in a year or two.
If you cant be bothered to do this then it suggests you are not that keen on the long-haul and therefore need to rethink a career like Radiography.

There are many NHS jobs that would provide some realistic work/life experience - look for lower level clerical/support roles here - https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/search_vacancy/
Has she considered Therapeutic Radiography? It's not as competitive as Diagnostic Radiography because its not as well known about and its a much smaller profession. At my Uni (Sheffield Hallam) they sometimes make offers to D Rad applicants who just miss out, and my cohort they were accepting people through clearing.

Looking at her uni choices, you're talking about Diagnostic Radiography, and you're in the north of England, so Radiotherapy at SHU would be an option.

Jo Macnamara is the recruitment lead for the Radiotherapy & Oncology course at SHU, her twitter is https://twitter.com/SHURadiotherapy and will respond if you contact her on there. She's very friendly and very passionate about the profession (and quite rightly so, because its amazing). If you're not on twitter and want her email, PM me and I'll send it you. She'll be very happy to answer your questions.
Not really any advice but you've got some brilliant responses on this thread so hopefully your sister will be able to make a decision on what to do next. Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you all for all the advice ill be passing all this on to her :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest