The Student Room Group

Religious Family

I belong to a very religious Jewish family. I met a Catholic guy who I fell in love with and I want to get married with him but my family will never approve. How do I tell them? I am really scared
Reply 1
Oh no!
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
You know your family and their habits a lot better than random strangers on TSR.

Put your ambitions, health and physical safety first.
I support interfaith marriages, friendships and close relationships.
You have the right to choose your own spouse, dealbreakers, diet, religious beliefs and how you practice them.

Have your & your bf ever discussed some of the issues that any of your family members could have if the two of you had children or married?
Are your family all followers of very traditionalist orthodox or reform judaism?
Do you get on well with your bf's family members?
Are you financially dependent upon your parents/other relatives for accomodation and the basics?
Do you feel that you need the approval of your parents or any other relative?
Are you relying upon coming into an inheritance or receiving future income from a family trust?
Is there any history of violence amongst members of your family?
Or ending all/most voluntary contact with people raised as jewish who are dating non-jews or don't practice much/any orthodox judaism?
Are your bf's family welcoming of you?
Are they strict catholics?
Do you feel comfortable around them and that they are always reasonably tolerant of your beliefs & background?
Original post by Anonymous
I belong to a very religious Jewish family. I met a Catholic guy who I fell in love with and I want to get married with him but my family will never approve. How do I tell them? I am really scared

it strongly looks like they'd flat out refuse your views so the only option is to move out of house?
from any earlier conversations which you've had with your family do you know how they respond to intermarriage? perhaps ask this first to know if they'd respect your views
Original post by londonmyst
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
You know your family and their habits a lot better than random strangers on TSR.

Put your ambitions, health and physical safety first.
I support interfaith marriages, friendships and close relationships.
You have the right to choose your own spouse, dealbreakers, diet, religious beliefs and how you practice them.

Have your & your bf ever discussed some of the issues that any of your family members could have if the two of you had children or married?
Are your family all followers of very traditionalist orthodox or reform judaism?
Do you get on well with your bf's family members?
Are you financially dependent upon your parents/other relatives for accomodation and the basics?
Do you feel that you need the approval of your parents or any other relative?
Are you relying upon coming into an inheritance or receiving future income from a family trust?
Is there any history of violence amongst members of your family?
Or ending all/most voluntary contact with people raised as jewish who are dating non-jews or don't practice much/any orthodox judaism?
Are your bf's family welcoming of you?
Are they strict catholics?
Do you feel comfortable around them and that they are always reasonably tolerant of your beliefs & background?

prsom! an insightful list of factors these are :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending