The Student Room Group

English gcse

Hiya everyone! I am aiming for a grade 7/8 in English and I am in desperate need of some new ideas or notes that I can include in essays to secure a high grade. Feel free to leave notes down below for Macbeth, Blood Brothers or Power and Conflict poems!
tell me more
For Macbeth I would really reccomend a YouTube channel called "Jen chan" she does Macbeth to a grade nine level but They are complex ideas so it takes a little time to understand, she also has a blog where her videos are sometimes written so it's easier, but she's really good si I'd reccomend he.

Elsewhere, if you wan those high grades, you have to bring in a wide range of interpretations to a quote your analysing..
"I am in blood stepped so far should I wade no more."
For example, (brief analysis)-
Blood is clearly a symbol of guilt, it's reflective of the regicidal act he has committed which in essence disintegrate the great chain of being. Remember, not even the "multitudinous seas incarnate" could purify his tainted hands, illustrating the extent of turmoil he is in. He has rejected God, thus God is not freeing him from the punishment he must receive, so he suffered both in this life and in the afterlife. There is no hope for salvation for him, as he is in too deep. One could link this to aristotles tragedy, the idea that "man cannot become a hero unless he can see the root of his own fall" here Macbeth experiences peripetia in this quote (a reversal of fortune), this realisation shows his understanding that his success is tainted, there is no going back. On one hand it could evoke pity as he is a victim to his "overleaping ambition", yet on the other hand, it would be his own fault due to his use of his free will, he has the choice to choose morality over power, yet his choice was to keep moving forward.
This is just a quick analysis, it's no structured paragraph, more like a quick summary or analysis, this is what I'd say but obviously in more detail
Original post by Unknown.la123
For Macbeth I would really reccomend a YouTube channel called "Jen chan" she does Macbeth to a grade nine level but They are complex ideas so it takes a little time to understand, she also has a blog where her videos are sometimes written so it's easier, but she's really good si I'd reccomend he.

Elsewhere, if you wan those high grades, you have to bring in a wide range of interpretations to a quote your analysing..
"I am in blood stepped so far should I wade no more."
For example, (brief analysis)-
Blood is clearly a symbol of guilt, it's reflective of the regicidal act he has committed which in essence disintegrate the great chain of being. Remember, not even the "multitudinous seas incarnate" could purify his tainted hands, illustrating the extent of turmoil he is in. He has rejected God, thus God is not freeing him from the punishment he must receive, so he suffered both in this life and in the afterlife. There is no hope for salvation for him, as he is in too deep. One could link this to aristotles tragedy, the idea that "man cannot become a hero unless he can see the root of his own fall" here Macbeth experiences peripetia in this quote (a reversal of fortune), this realisation shows his understanding that his success is tainted, there is no going back. On one hand it could evoke pity as he is a victim to his "overleaping ambition", yet on the other hand, it would be his own fault due to his use of his free will, he has the choice to choose morality over power, yet his choice was to keep moving forward.
This is just a quick analysis, it's no structured paragraph, more like a quick summary or analysis, this is what I'd say but obviously in more detail

Wow thank you so much for recommending her channel, I'm looking at it now and it is super helpful!
Your welcome :smile: her channel is so underrated but her ideas r really good glad you see them as good
Original post by angelboo2323
Hiya everyone! I am aiming for a grade 7/8 in English and I am in desperate need of some new ideas or notes that I can include in essays to secure a high grade. Feel free to leave notes down below for Macbeth, Blood Brothers or Power and Conflict poems!

Hey i got a 7 for English Lit and an 8 for Language when i did GCSEs- biggest recommendation for power and conflict is to make a cue card for each and write down quotes from other poems you can compare with that poem 😁

Quick Reply

Latest