The Student Room Group

Working In call centre

I work in a call centre and it's severely depressing. I work from home which is a better but still depressing. I've heard that we are short on email staff and this is somewhere I'd like to move to as taking calls is so repetitive.

If I took an ode of silence do you think they would move me to emails/live chat?
By ode of silence do you mean a vow? Like you won't talk?

Because I'm just thinking wouldn't it be easier to talk to your manager and explain that you're finding it repetitive and feel better suited towards emails/live chat. :smile:
Doubtful, they'd probably just fire you and hire someone else unless you can claim a religious or medical exemption.

Also even if you work on emails/social media/live chat, you still have to take calls. You just either are auto-in on low prio (so only get one if all the front line agents are full) or get told when to auto-in (when it's busy).

Since by design they always understaff, this usually just means you end up taking almost as many calls as you would on frontline, except you also have to do emails and whatever else at the same time...

Source: have worked in call centres as a front line agent, "email" agent, and "social media" agent (also doing live chat) and had to take calls in all those roles regularly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sunshinehss
By ode of silence do you mean a vow? Like you won't talk?

Because I'm just thinking wouldn't it be easier to talk to your manager and explain that you're finding it repetitive and feel better suited towards emails/live chat. :smile:

Yes a vow. I don't think my managers would be all that helpful but because they'll just day once we let you do everyone will want to do it.

I could give it a go tho
Reply 4

Original post by artful_lounger
Doubtful, they'd probably just fire you and hire someone else unless you can claim a religious or medical exemption.

Also even if you work on emails/social media/live chat, you still have to take calls. You just either are auto-in on low prio (so only get one if all the front line agents are full) or get told when to auto-in (when it's busy).

Since by design they always understaff, this usually just means you end up taking almost as many calls as you would on frontline, except you also have to do emails and whatever else at the same time...

Source: have worked in call centres as a front line agent, "email" agent, and "social media" agent (also doing live chat) and had to take calls in all those roles regularly.

I thought they would fire me too tbh but if there's a shortage why not move me?

Ahh i didn't know chat staff still take calls. But I bet its a lot better than having to take back to back calls everyday day
Original post by Misszeus

I thought they would fire me too tbh but if there's a shortage why not move me?

Ahh i didn't know chat staff still take calls. But I bet its a lot better than having to take back to back calls everyday day

Often you do end up taking back to back calls for extended periods even in back office roles, because as noted they understaff deliberately.

Unless you have a medical or religious exemption AND that is valid under UK employment law (not sure if it would be), you would essentially be seen as refusing to do your work which would be gross misconduct I imagine and thus they would have cause to fire you, and it'd be easier to fire the (in their eyes) troublesome employee when they have cause, than try and shuffle them around and potentially have more issues further down the line. They would only do that if they HAD TO, if you did have a valid exemption and they can't fire you for that reason.

You're really overestimating how much call centres invest in their workers. It's not a lot, because it's almost always cheaper and easier to just hire someone fresh. This is part of why call centres have such a high turnover - the workers realise this and move on in short order unless they aren't bothered by the work and environment.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending